Renewing a UK passport in Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Re: Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:17 pm ......It does beg the question as to why it takes so long to renew a UK passport.
I think a big part of the answer is fraud resulting in extended checks and references. UK, EU and USA passports are gold for terrorists and all kinds of unsavory characters. Thai passports are not.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Probably the wrong thread, but once it leaves my person in Thailand, what checks are they actually doing? Surely, that is all done by the authorities before bit commences it's 3 month journey.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:47 pm Probably the wrong thread, but once it leaves my person in Thailand, what checks are they actually doing? Surely, that is all done by the authorities before bit commences it's 3 month journey.
I moved things to here.

That's something we would have to ask DTM or others who worked in the branch.

I would think there are all sorts of things they do back in the UK that they don't do here to assure legitimacy.

I'm not referring to any manpower shortages in the UK as previously discussed, just the apparatus countries have in place to assure and confirm identity.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Renewing a UK passport in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

It certainly was the case that you didn't surrender your old passport when renewing. The reason being that the law in Thailand states you have to carry it at all times. (I know this doesn't actually happen).
Has that changed?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So what do they have to do all of these checks with? From memory:

* A completed application form.
* 2 or 3 pieces of evidence that I live here.
* A copy of my passport.
* A couple of photographs.
* A bucket load of money.

With the best will in the world, with the information supplied, it would take a lot of checking to know that it was actually me. I would say, impossible.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question. From my recent experience the agents in BKK just check that the paperwork submitted is in order and then forward it to HMPO who carry out all relevant security checks. Who knows what inter agency co-operation they have with various govt. agencies?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:24 pm /\ I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question.
Not really. My life has been in Thailand for many years now. With the information I provide, unless they nip over to Thailand, what can they check? Somebody using my name is receiving a pension, and transfers money to Thailand every month.

When my son renews, he has no footprint whatsoever in the UK these days.

From what I can see, the information is simply entered into a computer, and a passport produced. 3 months later it arrives in Thailand,

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure they’ll be doing criminal record checks - ok you’re not there but they’ll still check them to make sure you’ve not been a naughty boy since you last renewed your passport.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We were told the massive delays were due to understaffing and higher demand after lockdowns (most of this stuff is outsourced now so the govt can wash its hands of it). Not sure it has much to do with background checks.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:We were told the massive delays were due to understaffing and higher demand after lockdowns (most of this stuff is outsourced now so the govt can wash its hands of it). Not sure it has much to do with background checks.
The 'official' advised and stamped wait period on my renewal application( exactly 2 weeks ago today) was 11 weeks

Frankly I'll be delighted if its only that!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just read that Darren McGarry (KeyVisa founder and boss) has died after suffering a long period of cancer.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:
buksida wrote:We were told the massive delays were due to understaffing and higher demand after lockdowns (most of this stuff is outsourced now so the govt can wash its hands of it). Not sure it has much to do with background checks.
The 'official' advised and stamped wait period on my renewal application( exactly 2 weeks ago today) was 11 weeks

Frankly I'll be delighted if its only that!

Applied for my renewal on Nov 24

Was advised min 11 weeks wait period

Im now advised that it is in Bkk already exactly 4 weeks later!

Crikey.... is this a record does anyone know?!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is certainly quite fast. Which renewal route did you use in the end please?

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As I said in an earlier post. Passport office UK advised me that my passport would be a further 3 weeks. That note came a week after it arrived.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:

As I said in an earlier post. Passport office UK advised me that my passport would be a further 3 weeks. That note came a week after it arrived.
Ok noted. But how long did it take overall was my point/question?

BB... in the end I switched to Anna Visa Services on 94 roughly opp G Hotel car park I think. Very nice lady

There are two Visa/Passports services run by two different ladies on Lower (Eastern) section of 94. One has just relocated into a triple fronted shop next to Morning Bread trading as Hua Hin Visa Services.

I spoke to her originally (in her old shop nearer to Phetkasem) and she gave me two separate pieces of duff info.

1. That it was 'mandatory' to get new photos countersigned(incorrect, only if you cannot be recognised from previous photo to latest photo)

2. She assured me that once I got my current(old) passport back after application went in, that I could use it to travel *internationally*. You cannot. It can only be used for ID purposes only.

My guess is that some people get away with travelling abroad during renewal process, but bottomline is you could be sent back to where you just come from

So I lost confidence in her. And in typical Thai 'face saving' style she actually tried to switch the blame to me. And quite abrupt too.

Er, see ya Darlin!