What are you feeding your Dogs?

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have a finicky young dog here now who loved his food up until last week.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what everyone else is feeding their pets. Wet/dry/what brand/home cooked etc.

I've given up on social media and Google completely as one article will say it's the best food in the world, and the next will say it will kill them. :banghead: You know who is writing the good and bad reviews, the food manufacturers in at least half of the articles IMO.

Anyway, it would be helpful just to see what others are feeding and if the pet has been happy with it long term. Thanks :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: What are you feeding your Dogs?

Post by migrant »

Our dogs are 5 years old and we have pretty much always fed them pedigree dry food, rice and chicken, The meat sometimes changes depending on our leftovers but it's been chicken 90+% of the time. Good luck!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Since one of ours was diagnosed as diabetic, we started buying the special tins, but because of stupid cost, we mainly do our own thing these days. Chicken breast cooked with cabbage and carrots. The 3 of them loved it, and the remaining 2 still go absolutely crazy at feeding time. They can't get enough of it.

Online recipes suggest adding rice, but we've been told the rice produces too much sugar.

We always cook fresh for them. Again, Google suggests doing a large batch and freezing, but DIL says not so good for them.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Our two dogs get two meals a day - rice and whatever form of protein is around which can vary day by day but as a backup we always have some tinned sardines available, they also get a portion of the small dry pedigree biscuits and one small chew - they are 10 and 7 years old, both Labrador cross breeds and weigh 30+kg each.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks above. As you know from other posts on here we had two Golden retrievers for years. They would eat and be happy with just about anything, including shoes, car tires and the occasional tree.

This new pup 8 months old, a Yorkie, is a different story. I think he's just too smart and manipulative! :shock: :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

At this point we've been feeding him Royal Canin Puppy "mini" dry food per the Vet recommendation. He loved it as I mentioned above, and then he just turned off like a switch in less than 1 day. :shock:

No health problems, no chewing problems. We mixed it with liquid to soften it up and made no difference.

It appears we need to make a major change at least in the short term. I really hate to change foods though, especially if you have to do it suddenly to keep him from starving. It will throw off his whole system for days.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:05 pm Our two dogs get two meals a day - rice and whatever form of protein is around which can vary day by day but as a backup we always have some tinned sardines available, they also get a portion of the small dry pedigree biscuits and one small chew - they are 10 and 7 years old, both Labrador cross breeds and weigh 30+kg each.
I've been looking for crunchy biscuits, similar to USA Milkbone, with no success. Are those pedigree biscuits the crunchy type Dannie? :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Rather than clog up the Forum, have a read of the following.
Young dogs, even smart Yorkies, do not go off their food without good reason.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/symptoms/why- ... not-eating
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:26 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:05 pm Our two dogs get two meals a day - rice and whatever form of protein is around which can vary day by day but as a backup we always have some tinned sardines available, they also get a portion of the small dry pedigree biscuits and one small chew - they are 10 and 7 years old, both Labrador cross breeds and weigh 30+kg each.
I've been looking for crunchy biscuits, similar to USA Milkbone, with no success. Are those pedigree biscuits the crunchy type Dannie? :cheers:
Yes about 1cm depending on the type you get, some are circular some more elongated, but we buy it in 20 kg bags which is about 1000B a bag but it lasts a long time.Image
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ok, thanks. We've got a transatlantic English translation problem here. :laugh: What the Pedigree is I would call kibble or dry food. The biscuits I've been look for are like the below. :cheers:

phpEoj4FkAM.jpg
phpEoj4FkAM.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lazada has them.

[Edit] Forget that, similar but not same.

Points 48; Position 20
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:03 pm Since one of ours was diagnosed as diabetic, we started buying the special tins, but because of stupid cost, we mainly do our own thing these days. Chicken breast cooked with cabbage and carrots. The 3 of them loved it, and the remaining 2 still go absolutely crazy at feeding time. They can't get enough of it.

Online recipes suggest adding rice, but we've been told the rice produces too much sugar.
I cook much the same for my Border Collie, but add brown rice, which is said to be much more nutritous.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, all of the online recipes stated brown rice, and I did suggest this. However, Thai ladies always know best, even when they don't :run: :laugh:

Actually, I have read since that it is better without the rice for a diabetic, which was confirmed by the vet. I think our dogs would prefer more chicken instead of rice :D

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Alton Brown has a dog biscuit recipe, might be worth trying instead of buying.
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have a Pit Bull cross. It's always been fed the cheapo varieties from the pet shop just before Makro on Petchkasem. Around 250 baht for 10 kgs. I buy 20 kgs at a time and change the flavour each time.
That and bones/leftovers is it's diet.

Never been fed the 'expensive brand names'. 'Sandy' is now 16 years old and still going strong.
Therefore, buying the expensive food like Pedigree and the like is more of a marketing ploy rather than care for the dog.

In my opinion.