Things That Wind Me Up Driving In Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Re: Things That Wind Me Up Driving In Thailand

Post by buksida »

One thing I've noticed that maybe I didn't before is that Thais will just slow to a crawl or stop in the middle of the road to do something or look at something, just putting on the hazards as if that excuses it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know why I'm only just noticing this, but it could be because of the sheer volume of high season traffic, and people in more of a hurry than usual.

When you are on the main road, wanting to turn right, more and more motorcyclists are positioning themselves on the wrong side of the road meaning you can't turn without running them over, The only sensible solution is to let them go first, which is obviously their 'me first' objective.

I fear one of these impatient gits is going to be in my blind spot one day, with tragic circumstances.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Is this not a consequence of reserving a 2 metre strip (green) at the head of all three lanes (including turning right) solely for motorbikes. Therefore, regardless of whether going straight on, turning right/left, there could and probably will be motorbikes in front of you!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:57 pm Is this not a consequence of reserving a 2 metre strip (green) at the head of all three lanes (including turning right) solely for motorbikes.
You've completely lost me with that comment. I'm talking about turning right on to side roads whilst driving along e.g. Soi 94 and 102.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:01 pm
HHTel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:57 pm Is this not a consequence of reserving a 2 metre strip (green) at the head of all three lanes (including turning right) solely for motorbikes.
You've completely lost me with that comment. I'm talking about turning right on to side roads whilst driving along e.g. Soi 94 and 102.
I think that HHTel (and me) thought that when you mentioned “main road” we assumed you were talking about Phetkasem Road!! Other than that, I’m not aware of this type of manoeuvre happening very often, but then I lead a more sheltered life than most!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It seems to happen every time I want to turn right these days. I've never been a fan of motorcyclists in Hua Hin, and this strange habit has done nothing to change my mind.

Points 48; Position 20
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Yesterday morning at the end of my cycling workout I was about to turn from a main road onto the side road that leads to my home. As usual, the larger vehicles had moved forward into the intersection hoping that I would turn in behind them. I hate doing this because, well, it's both wrong and dangerous. In this instance, the space behind them was full of motorcycles also jockeying for position. So, I had no choice but to make a big wide turn in front of a pickup truck still inching forward to make his right turn. He saw me, but just kept going until his truck struck the back wheel of my bicycle. Fortunately, I didn't fall and managed to recover and keep going. As I passed his open window I saw him laughing and giving me a half-hearted wai. What a pr*ck.

Unfortunately, it's becoming more and more dangerous to cycle anywhere that there's much traffic. I see this both in Korat, where it's horrible, and Cha Am, where it's not so bad. Yet.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, BB. I did assume you were talking about Petchkasem.
Lesson learnt. Never assume as it makes an ASS out U and ME!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:57 pm Is this not a consequence of reserving a 2 metre strip (green) at the head of all three lanes (including turning right) solely for motorbikes. Therefore, regardless of whether going straight on, turning right/left, there could and probably will be motorbikes in front of you!
There is a road safety philosophy current where the most vulnerable road users get priority, so it goes pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes, cars, trucks and buses, or something like that.
It's probably not popular with your average car driver but it does reduce the death toll on roads.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 pm
HHTel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:57 pm Is this not a consequence of reserving a 2 metre strip (green) at the head of all three lanes (including turning right) solely for motorbikes. Therefore, regardless of whether going straight on, turning right/left, there could and probably will be motorbikes in front of you!
There is a road safety philosophy current where the most vulnerable road users get priority, so it goes pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes, cars, trucks and buses, or something like that.
It's probably not popular with your average car driver but it does reduce the death toll on roads.
I think BB’s point was not about giving them priority, but that some of them could creep up on his blind side and become an unintentional victim!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I don't know why I'm only just noticing this, but it could be because of the sheer volume of high season traffic, and people in more of a hurry than usual.

When you are on the main road, wanting to turn right, more and more motorcyclists are positioning themselves on the wrong side of the road meaning you can't turn without running them over, The only sensible solution is to let them go first, which is obviously their 'me first' objective.

I fear one of these impatient gits is going to be in my blind spot one day, with tragic circumstances.
Not disagreeing with you

But if they come up inside of you, on wrong side of the road, get ahead of of you then surely they'll turn right much quicker on their perky little motorbikes, than you will be able to in your big heavy car. So I doubt you're going to run them over (unless they are being slow)

That's if I'm understanding you correctly

I can see it being annoying though

Ps you were right about the flyover going south on Phetkasem and cars staying in the right hand lane unnecessarily. I've seen it myself and been in taxis that do it

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The manoeuvre is usually get to a position that they are blocking the road, and then stop until they are waved forward.

I agree, they could probably just go first, but they don't.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The manoeuvre is usually get to a position that they are blocking the road, and then stop until they are waved forward.

I agree, they could probably just go first, but they don't.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Something that probably winds up many but I have got used to is vehicles using the right turn lane at traffic lights to get ahead of others patiently queuing.
Had to chuckle yesterday as I was turning right, indicator on and an inter city minivan followed me into the lane stopping too close behind only to lose much more than he would have gained as he manouvered to get past once the lights changed to green for traffic going straight on.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve recently returned from 6 weeks in the UK, the first 3 weeks without a car, followed by 3 weeks with a car. As a pedestrian, it was noticeable that almost all drivers stopped for you at a zebra crossing, as a driver, how frequently other drivers would allow you in or out of a side turning - none of this “me first” attitude. Ok, not all drivers were like this and there were some idiots on the road, but nowhere near to the same extent as you find here.