No reason given for permanent closure of popular Saphan Pla Hua Hin Walking Street

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

No reason given for permanent closure of popular Saphan Pla Hua Hin Walking Street

Post by PeteC »

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no ... ing-street

https://www.facebook.com/saphanplahuahi ... rdc=2&_rdr

Saphan Pla Walking Street, in Hua Hin district of the southern province Prachuab Khiri Khao, has closed permanently.

The announcement of the closure appeared on the walking street’s official Facebook page on Wednesday, May 18. The page announced, “Saphan Pla Hua Hin Walking Street closes permanently for some reason. Sorry to everyone who is interested to visit and contact us via inbox.”

No official reason has been given as to why the fishing pier was closed. The spot had been turned into a night market every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in recent years, and it was hugely popular among Thai and foreign tourists who enjoyed the street food from its local stalls.

The walking street was temporarily closed for renovation in January according to its Facebook page. Its closure is unexpected and has disappointed local visitors. Many people commented on the Facebook post announcing the closure saying they were planning to visit this weekend. Another lamented the closure as it “was a landmark of Hua Hin.”

phpI7Sp8kAM.jpg
phpI7Sp8kAM.jpg (104.98 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: No reason given for permanent closure of popular Saphan Pla Hua Hin Walking Street

Post by PeteC »

If they give no reason, almost surely the government is involved. Pulled license, backhanders not enough, someone's brother-in-law wants to take over the space etc.

Someone will sleuth it out I would think. Post here if reasons start to surface.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: No reason given for permanent closure of popular Saphan Pla Hua Hin Walking Street

Post by Big Boy »

I never got to visit during 'Walking Street' days, although I think it was very popular with the Thai weekend crowd (probably why I never got there). I saw the story break yesterday, and it was only this morning that I worked out where Saphan Pla was :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The 5 minute video on their FB link, it looks like a great place to hang out in the early evening. Cool sea breeze, relaxing etc. If it's gone, it's gone, but what now? Let's see what transpires for such a good looking location. I hope it's not just blocked off and left to become a rubbish dump.

With tourism gearing up once again, someone has designs on the spot....IMSO.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, the area around it has become a bit of a rubbish dump, and parking is minimal. The pier is great, although I'm not sure I'd want to be there safety wise, sat down relaxing with a few small kids.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's the same old story. No one wants to go to a beach town and have few or no choices for open air, scenic sea view dining/hanging out.

Pier type places are always packed out over here; in Pattaya, Bang Saray, Sattahip, Rayong, everywhere that has one or more. They seem to be first choice for tourists, weekenders and many locals.

Build a pier and they will come. :shock: :D
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Since mid December I've tried to visit this place for the ambience etc..Every time I went there was bugger all there! So this inconsistency about whether it was 'on' or not? may have had folk (same as myself) thinking sod it..& not bother coming any more to an empty pier../
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I went there once when it was in full swing. Firstly, if it was a bit wet, you had to walk through a muddy, dingy, entrance that resembles a building site, which is exactly what it is, well an abandoned one at least.

There was nothing great about the rest of it. Usual Thai market stalls and food, although admittedly, a nice location to have such things. There was space for more stalls when I visited. We bought some food to take away and there were lots of people sitting and eating. There just wasnt enough seating to go around, well apart from the dog-leg at the end of the pier that is.

Personally, I preferred it when it was used by the larger fishing boats moored up side by side. I wonder where they all went?

And as said by US above, you never knew when it would be open. A couple of times we drove to visit and it just wasn't operating. For me, it was never more than a half hearted effort to make it a really good attraction. A pity really, with all the derelict shops in that area, plus the demolitions, it could and should have been a real asset.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:37 pm Personally, I preferred it when it was used by the larger fishing boats moored up side by side. I wonder where they all went?
I think they were all relocated to Pak Nam Pran.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:03 am
caller wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:37 pm Personally, I preferred it when it was used by the larger fishing boats moored up side by side. I wonder where they all went?
I think they were all relocated to Pak Nam Pran.
Interesting, that is probably connected to the planned redevelopment now eye sore and plan to rip down the piers to allow better access. I wonder who the person of influence, who has been behind the mess that is now that area, actuallly was?

When I stayed in town, I used to like to get up early and wander around that area, get pics of the boats and fishermen working on their catch, see it being landed, prepared for selling or shipping on, or whatever. Far better to have that working area than the mess now there.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I stayed in town, I used to like to get up early and wander around that area, get pics of the boats and fishermen working on their catch, see it being landed, prepared for selling or shipping on, or whatever. Far better to have that working area than the mess now there.
I remember being impressed by the guy in the ice truck who used to reverse down the pier at about 50kmh!