Another Uninsured Police Vehicle In Trouble

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Another Uninsured Police Vehicle In Trouble

Post by Big Boy »

Double Trouble For Sedan Hit By Uninsured Police Bus

GOING VIRAL on Thai social media today (May 15) is the account of a Bangkok sedan driver who after being hit by an uninsured police bus was urged by the policemen in the large vehicle to agree to being hit again by an insured white van so as to claim insurance payment, Matichon newspaper said.

As related by the unidentified Facebook user, the head of the Police Protection and Crowd Control Division later called to apologise for what had happened.

The sedan driver said he and his passengers were heading home down Ratchadamnoen Avenue, cruising along the middle of the road, and upon reaching Phan Fa Lilat bridge, where he was heading straight, the police bus cut across from the left to the right hitting his vehicle.

Full story here: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/05/15/dou ... olice-bus/

I read this, and thought dual standards again. Then I thought back to my days in the UK working (sorry DM) for the Government. We travelled huge distances weekly in hired vehicles. We were never allowed to take out insurance. Basically, the government trusted us not to have accidents, and said it was better to settle any claims themselves. I must say, in 25 years of us hiring vehicles, I never heard of a single claim (I'm not saying there weren't any, but such news normally travels fast), so maybe Thailand has adopted the same policy.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Another Uninsured Police Vehicle In Trouble

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:20 pm I read this, and thought dual standards again. Then I thought back to my days in the UK working (sorry DM) for the Government. We travelled huge distances weekly in hired vehicles. We were never allowed to take out insurance. Basically, the government trusted us not to have accidents, and said it was better to settle any claims themselves. I must say, in 25 years of us hiring vehicles, I never heard of a single claim (I'm not saying there weren't any, but such news normally travels fast), so maybe Thailand has adopted the same policy.
That's interesting, Where I worked, we had 'official cars' to use and forget about the insurance, these weren't taxed either! We had a little round 'OHMS' tax exempt sticker, where the tax disc should be. Didn't cut a lot of ice after the first of each month, when the Police were out looking for expired tax discs at traffic hot spots and we would regularly get pulled over. We complained like mad to our management as this was actually directly interfering with our line of work and eventually we were given proper tax discs to use. I have no idea whether they were paid for? As for insurance, it was the same principle, the Govt. would settle any claims. No formal insurance in place.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The difference here is that the driver of the uninsured vehicle wanted to swap the details to a car that was insured - this infers to me that it’s not normal practice, but then again TIT!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:14 pm That's interesting, Where I worked, we had 'official cars' to use and forget about the insurance
We had those as well, but they were so small, I'd have needed one for each foot. As such, they always gave me hire cars. :laugh: I'm not sure if ours had tax discs.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Interesting when I worked for the uk government I never had evidence of insurance or tax. The idea of getting hit by another vehicle is strange, still TiT.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:31 pm
caller wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:14 pm That's interesting, Where I worked, we had 'official cars' to use and forget about the insurance
We had those as well, but they were so small, I'd have needed one for each foot. As such, they always gave me hire cars. :laugh: I'm not sure if ours had tax discs.
We had all shapes and sizes as well as two van sizes, one a 'rascal' size, the other, transit size. I always enjoyed driving the rascal type vans, they were great fun.
Talk is cheap