Flyover at the Southern End of Town

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Flyover at the Southern End of Town

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:22 pm
I think you’re right that many use the right hand lane to avoid slower moving traffic taking the first exit once you’ve turned the corner..................
Do you realyy think that a Thai driver will think that far ahead! :idea:
And being a regular user, it's hardly a busy turn off. Mainly used as a u-turn to get to soi112. There is a small slip road, so you don't block the inside lane and I have never, ever, had to queue to turn off.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Agreed. Like you, caller, I use it on a daily basis. A very quiet 'u-turn' with a slip lane. Never enough traffic to block the nearside lane. Usually, you're the only one using it.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

If there are two or more lanes available Thai drivers tend to not use the left lane even if there is no traffic. I have always felt that this is to avoid issues with people pulling out without looking, kids/animals/people walking into the road without looking, the invariable poor road surface they has been chewed up by trucks and of course those who will stop to let out passengers or buy at the shop at the roadside because they cannot be bothered to park properly. My earlier comment about thinking ahead had a certain tongue in cheek element as my experience with SE Asians in general (but not all) is that thinking ahead when driving be it ships or cars does not involve looking that far ahead. Not worth fighting it, just allow for it and use it to your advantage.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Your argument holds some water when it comes to 2 lanes. However it falls apart on a 3 lane highway where much of the traffic is still in the offside lane. i.e. lane number 3.
Even on Rama II when there are 4 lanes, it's still the outside lane used the most!

Of course now these 'offside drivers' have been more empowered by the new rules of 120/100 kph in the offside lane in parts.