Flyover at the Southern End of Town

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Flyover at the Southern End of Town

Post by Big Boy »

:rant:
Something I have been observing for many months now, and I just don't understand why.

Drivers will not use the left hand lane travelling South over the flyover at the Southern end of town. Can anybody explain why? OK, TIT and we can get away with undertaking, but why on earth will they not use that left lane? It really winds me me up, day after day all of the traffic except me in that right hand lane.

As it is about 98% of all traffic, I can only guess people on this Forum must be guilty as well, so please, why do you do it?
:rant:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Flyover at the Southern End of Town

Post by HHTel »

It's always been the same and not just the flyover. In the west, the offside lane is the quietest as it's an 'overtaking lane'. Strangely that's the same as the rule in Thailand but that's totally ignored and even on an empty road, the offside lane has the traffic. Undertaking is also illegal here but most times there is no choice.
I too have the same frustration as yourself and curious to as to why they do it.

Having said that, this new 120/100 kph in the offside lane goes against common sense and also against the overtaking rule.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Sorry BB i use the left lane as well..
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I usually use the left hand lane as well, not least because I then take the first left after coming off the flyover, to head towards our house.

I sometimes go into the right hand lane, but only temporarily to overtake, if there's someone going particularly slowly in the left lane.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So that's 4 of us using the left hand lane. There can't be any others. :run:

Mrs BB is getting to the point where she covers her ears when we get to the flyover each morning :cuss:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was always taught that if the lane to your left is empty, then you should be in it. However it does cause me to undertake quite often usually with a flash of headlights and a couple of bips on the horn to let the other driver know I'm coming.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, and said we can get away with it here in Thailand. The bit that amazes me is why? Either side of that flyover both lanes are used. When cars get to the flyover, its as if a giant magnet pulls them over to the right.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its the 'me first' attitude again, Thai drivers are oblivious to anything else on the roads aside from themselves so will drive in whatever lane they desire regardless of the rules of the road. You see it on every highway here, not just that flyover.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:09 am Its the 'me first' attitude again, Thai drivers are oblivious to anything else on the roads aside from themselves so will drive in whatever lane they desire regardless of the rules of the road. You see it on every highway here, not just that flyover.
Also in the parking. Block off an entire lane of traffic to save a few steps, nooo problem. Jerks
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

When cars get to the flyover, its as if a giant magnet pulls them over to the right.
It's obvious! They are scared that they may fall over the edge!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I dont mind the inside lane being empty, as I too, do a left just after the road bears left. So it suits me to be on the inside. I overtake if a car dares to get in my way :D .

To be honest, I have never seen or noticed it being different to any other Thai road anywhere else.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've got vague memories of that flyover being one lane many years ago, wasn't the left hand lane once painted with yellow stripes?
I haven't driven that way much since I moved to Hin Lek Fai area because I always use Soi 112 or the bypass to head south and that's been 12 years now.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Never really thought about it much but if you don’t know the road using the right hand lane means you are unlikely to get slowed down by traffic turning left be it true or not. Just like keeping to the right in general along Phetkasem road through town, in theory, to make better progress.
I too recall that at some point in the past it filtered into a single lane which could explain the habit.
If I regularly turned left after coming over the flyover I would be happy for most cars to use the right lane as there is less chance of being rear-ended.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:37 pm Never really thought about it much but if you don’t know the road using the right hand lane means you are unlikely to get slowed down by traffic turning left be it true or not. Just like keeping to the right in general along Phetkasem road through town, in theory, to make better progress.
I too recall that at some point in the past it filtered into a single lane which could explain the habit.
If I regularly turned left after coming over the flyover I would be happy for most cars to use the right lane as there is less chance of being rear-ended.
I think you’re right that many use the right hand lane to avoid slower moving traffic taking the first exit once you’ve turned the corner - in this instance it’s probably not such a bad idea, providing of course that they’re not stuck out there doing 40 kph!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think you’re right that many use the right hand lane to avoid slower moving traffic taking the first exit once you’ve turned the corner..................
Do you realyy think that a Thai driver will think that far ahead! :idea:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!