The Land Rover Defender

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

The Land Rover Defender

Post by Nereus »

Simply the best

The Land Rover Defender is all power and prestige. Only issue is finding the frontier roads that can do it justice

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... y-the-best

For many decades, the Land Rover Defender was all about pure off-roading capability and rugged looks.

The Defender was first introduced in the 80s and was based on the original Land Rover from 1948. It didn't come with the luxuries one would expect from a British marque, and there was not much to talk about in terms of technology either.

So for years, the Defender represented a robust, stripped-down Land Rover model that was the most down-to-earth and affordable, compared to the flagship Range Rover, Discovery or even Freelander models. Well, that was the case until the all-new Defender came out.

The new Defender caused a sensation at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2019 as it took on a totally different form. Gone are the rugged and boxy design that the world was used to seeing, replaced by futuristic styling that is worthy of any sci-fi movie. Based in the DC100 concept, the new Defender is modern and complies with global automobile regulations, whether in terms of safety or environment.

The Defender comes in 90 and 110 (that's the wheelbase length in inches) versions and is fitted with 2.0-litre or 3.0-litre mild-hybrid diesel engines. They are priced heavily though, ranging from 7.599 million baht to 8.699 million baht (compared to 6.5 million baht for the Discovery 3.0 SE).

Then earlier this month, Land Rover Thailand introduced the latest addition to the Defender line-up -- the plug-in hybrid (PHEV) Defender 110 P400e, priced from 6.999 million baht. We're the first media in Thailand to get to drive the Defender PHEV, and here's how it rolls.

Design

Die-hard fans of the original Defender are likely to be horrified to see the design of the new model. But perhaps not for the new generation of luxury SUV buyers in the United States and China, who are expected to willingly accept the modern version of this old-time 4x4 classic.

Yes, it does still feature a squarish body design posed by the original Defender, but the new model looks so Star Wars that without the badging, one wouldn't be able to guess which Land Rover model it actually is.

Among the technical improvements are the monocoque architecture that replaces the body-on-frame construction as well as independent coil suspension replacing the live rigid axle found in the old model.

The exterior styling is complicated with a large amount of detailing all around, and at the same time it oozes with luxury. Our test vehicle also came with a special accessories package that includes add-ons such as snorkel, roof rack, roof ladder, side steps, spare wheel cover and side-mounted gear carrier. According to Land Rover, the roof is able to support over 100kg of cargo on the move (300kg while stationary).

Step inside and there are more Star Wars elements starting from the steering wheel, front console to the dashboard and door panels that come with tough-looking bolthead decoration.

The 10-inch centre touchscreen features Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, along with a 360-degree all-around view as well as ground view, allowing the driver to "see through" the bonnet when driving over dodgy tracks.

There's a joystick type gearshift lever placed next to a control panel for various systems ranging from climate control to off-road modes.

Seats are comfortable both front and rear with plenty of space for all occupants, and although there's no sunroof, there are two narrow glass apertures at the rear of the roof that help brighten up the interior to an extent.

Open the door-type tailgate and you'll find a highly functional luggage area with power sockets, securing hooks and rubber lining.

There is no seven-seat option for the Defender PHEV, as the battery takes up some of the space at the luggage area. I wouldn't mind -- having seven people in one car can be quite chaotic!

Performance

The Defender PHEV gets a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine capable of pumping out roughly 300hp and a 105kW permanent magnet electric motor with 19.2kWh battery that raises maximum combined output to 404hp and 640Nm of torque.

Despite weighing in at a hefty 2.6 tonnes, the Defender PHEV does get around quickly, with 0-100kph acceleration taking 5.6secs as the engine and electric motor team up. The top speed is claimed at 191kph, which is reasonably quick for a full-sized off-roader that doesn't appear too aerodynamic. Land Rover says that with optional 22-inch wheels, the top speed is raised to 209kph.

Fully charging the battery takes approximately seven hours via a home wallbox, while quick charging (50kW) up to 80% takes 30 minutes.

The lithium-ion battery has enough grunt to get the Defender PHEV to a top speed of 140kph in EV mode. Meanwhile, the EV range is claimed at 40-43km (WLTP) and that helps to lower average fuel consumption to roughly 25kpl for the first 100km after full charging. But let's face it -- the Defender is a full-size 4x4 and fuel economy will never be its strongest point.

Nevertheless, the hybrid system is quite functional, allowing the driver to preserve battery power for later use, or engage hybrid mode and let the system decide when to run in EV. For those who like to take along stuff on their trips, the Defender PHEV's 3,000kg towing capacity will be helpful.

I didn't spend much time with the Defender PHEV, being offered just a short pre-launch drive in Ratchaburi province where Land Rover has a glamping facility designed for customers. But there were both on-road and off-road sections that truly displayed the strengths of the Defender PHEV.

I've driven the old Defender Td5 before (wow that was a long time ago) and loved it for what it is, which included poor ride quality. It's one of the best true off-roaders in my opinion, and that Defender deserved to be kept in the jungle away from the civilised world.

But with the new Defender PHEV, it's a different story. Electronic air suspension comes as standard, allowing you to lower the ride height by 40mm and increase it up by 75mm for off-roading (and for extreme off-roading it goes up another 70mm). Ride quality from the now independent suspension has been improved dramatically, and it was actually highly comfortable to be in the Defender PHEV, both on and off the road. The Defender also handles better than I expected on Ratchaburi country roads, gliding through corners with decent body control like it was a small crossover.

The Defender PHEV is the first Land Rover model with regenerative brakes. Stopping power comes from discs all-round with six-piston calipers up front.

While most German luxury SUVs (as well as Swedish) seem to suit on-road driving more than off-road, Land Rover has made sure the Defender is way up there when the going gets tough. It's a serious 4x4, not just an SUV.

For off-road driving, the Terrain Response 2 system features a large selection of modes (and configurations) ranging from gravel, mud and ruts to sand, rock and wade (it has a wading depth of as much as 900mm).

With the suspension raised, the approach, breakover and departure angles are increased to 37.5, 31 and 40 degrees respectively, ensuring high off-road capability.

Driving the Defender off-road not only shows its full 4x4 potential, but also shows how comfortable it can be while overcoming various obstacles along the route.

Conclusion

If I wanted to go off-roading and had to pick one model from a group of luxury SUVs consisting of the Audi Q7, BMW X5, Mercedes-Benz GLE, Volvo XC90 and the Land Rover Defender, my finger will be pointing at the Defender before you can say "which one?".

But on the other hand, I might hesitate if had to pay for it. While it's great to drive and has the best off-roading performance, at a 7 million baht entry point the Defender PHEV is also the most expensive one out of the bunch, and that's its weakest point.

Pros: High off-road capability, surprisingly good handling

Cons: Expensive, looks too futuristic for some
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Re: The Land Rover Defender

Post by PeteC »

I've seen commercials for this one on USA TV NFL Channel during the American football season. Quite amazing the terrain they put it through on those commercials. It looks more gentle and refined than the old Defender model, but looks may be deceiving.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It might be a very good vehicle but the top of the range model in Thailand is the equivalent of almost £200,000 - you’d have to be a very serious fan with very deep pockets to buy one.

A mate of mine in the UK has a P400 HSE which I believe cost him over £80k - he says it’s a great car but even at that price, it puts it out the reach of many. Still if I had the money, I probably wouldn’t say no!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

These will be driven in Thailand by the same mentality that drives big bikes.

Years ago there was a Warner Bros. cartoon called Mr. Wheeler and Mr. Walker. Mr. Walker was kind and gentle, stopped on the sidewalk to let an ant crawl by and when he got behind the wheel became a raging maniac. Maybe Thais learned to drive watching that cartoon.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

When did Thais learn to drive .
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

stretch wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:18 pm When did Thais learn to drive .
It's an ongoing process that hasn't yet begun.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:52 pm These will be driven in Thailand by the same mentality that drives big bikes.
Another silly generalization ... I'd never buy a Land Rover (unless I had a farm and didn't live in Thailand). :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The only people who will buy a Defender in Thailand, are those with deep pockets!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:48 am The only people who will buy a Defender in Thailand, are those with deep pockets!!
The young and rich who want to rule the roads. (another silly generalization)
buksida

Post by buksida »

That makes more sense than "bikers".
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:45 am
handdrummer wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:52 pm These will be driven in Thailand by the same mentality that drives big bikes.
Another silly generalization ... I'd never buy a Land Rover (unless I had a farm and didn't live in Thailand). :duck:
My statement may be a "silly generalization" but your example is not a generalization, any more than saying, I'd never buy a tuxedo (unless I went to the opera and didn't live in Thailand.) :duck:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well, I'm a biker so your silly generalization was aimed at me and other bikers, hence the retort. No - those that have the "mentality" to ride big bikes will generally not spend millions on a Land Rover. :roll:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:08 am Well, I'm a biker so your silly generalization was aimed at me and other bikers, hence the retort. No - those that have the "mentality" to ride big bikes will generally not spend millions on a Land Rover. :roll:
My generalization was aimed at Thais who ride big bikes. Those that I've seen on the road, drive like they're kings of the road and pay no attention to anyone else and I think that those who would buy a Defender are of the same mentality.

Since I didn't know that you were a biker, I wasn't aiming at you. Sorry if I offended you.
buksida

Post by buksida »

No offense taken, bikers are a hardy bunch! :mrgreen:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I actually find bikers generally have better driving skills than the typical pickup driver - bikers may drive fast but normally look before they manoeuvre, the same can’t be said for many (Thai) pickup drivers.