Koh Lipe

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Koh Lipe

Post by Jack_Batty »

I decided I wanted to get out of town for a bit. The girlfriend was busy with work, so I decided to forge on alone. Ko Lipe, down near the Malaysian border, seemed like a beautiful place, and I had never been there before. I jumped on an overnight train, #31, and purchased a 1st class sleeper to myself. One bed is 1200 baht and you can buy out the other bed for an additional 800 so you ensure you’re alone. The train left Hua Hin at 1800 and got into Hat Yai around 12 hours later. I then took a mini bus to the ferry pier near Satun, and then the ferry over to Ko Lipe. It took awhile, but it was really pretty straightforward and easy.

Ko Lipe is gorgeous, but very small. I walked to all points on the island fairly quickly. They do not rent motorbikes to anyone, but you can take motorcycle taxis if you want, and I think there are some bicycle rental places. I went primarily to do some diving, but there were all sorts of other excursions being offered. Most of the restaurants on walking street opened up in the early evening and they were doing good business, as were the restaurants and bars on the beach. By 10pm, most everything was closed and there are only a handful of bars that stayed open late. For the most part, the place gets pretty deserted and quiet before midnight. I had a really good time, even though I was alone. I do intend to take my girlfriend back there when she can break free from work.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Ko Lipe

Post by migrant »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:19 pm I decided I wanted to get out of town for a bit. The girlfriend was busy with work, so I decided to forge on alone. Ko Lipe, down near the Malaysian border, seemed like a beautiful place, and I had never been there before. I jumped on an overnight train, #31, and purchased a 1st class sleeper to myself. One bed is 1200 baht and you can buy out the other bed for an additional 800 so you ensure you’re alone. The train left Hua Hin at 1800 and got into Hat Yai around 12 hours later. I then took a mini bus to the ferry pier near Satun, and then the ferry over to Ko Lipe. It took awhile, but it was really pretty straightforward and easy.

Ko Lipe is gorgeous, but very small. I walked to all points on the island fairly quickly. They do not rent motorbikes to anyone, but you can take motorcycle taxis if you want, and I think there are some bicycle rental places. I went primarily to do some diving, but there were all sorts of other excursions being offered. Most of the restaurants on walking street opened up in the early evening and they were doing good business, as were the restaurants and bars on the beach. By 10pm, most everything was closed and there are only a handful of bars that stayed open late. For the most part, the place gets pretty deserted and quiet before midnight. I had a really good time, even though I was alone. I do intend to take my girlfriend back there when she can break free from work.
How was the diving?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I will be brutally honest. I went on four day dives and one night dive. The visibility, coral conditions, and lack of sea life really left me underwhelmed. I saw a couple of eels and some nudibranches, one seahorse, and I believe that was about it. The night dive was conducted just in the bay off of the docked diving boat and I don’t recall seeing anything of note. I will say, however, that the diving outfit, Koh Lipe Diving School, was one of the better outfits I have ever gone with.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:08 pm I will be brutally honest. I went on four day dives and one night dive. The visibility, coral conditions, and lack of sea life really left me underwhelmed. I saw a couple of eels and some nudibranches, one seahorse, and I believe that was about it. The night dive was conducted just in the bay off of the docked diving boat and I don’t recall seeing anything of note. I will say, however, that the diving outfit, Koh Lipe Diving School, was one of the better outfits I have ever gone with.
Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Re: Koh Lipe

Post by buksida »

Was also going to ask about the diving - you would have thunk that with no tourists, marine life would have recovered somewhat.

Haven't been for a couple of years so thinking of a trip down to the Andaman side in April to get a few dives in.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: Koh Lipe

Post by bigston »

Buksida
Would be interested in your thoughts of "the state of things "
if you go diving around any of the Surin Islands area