Tiltrotor Helicopter in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Re: Tiltrotor Helicopter in Hua Hin

Post by Chazz14 »

I'm pretty sure it's a Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey - currently in service with USA and Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Tiltrotor Helicopter in Hua Hin

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:51 pm What I've seen over here is what I used to call MAC aircraft (Military Airlift Command), but I think they are gone replaced by a new branch name. C17 Globemaster type which often brings things in here for exercises like this, and for resupplying the embassy. I haven't seen or heard any fighters, and they definitely make their presence known as compared to Thai Air Force fighter arrivals.

off topic a bit:
The C 17 is an amazing aircraft. Most "jet" type aircraft have thrust reversers in some form to aid in stopping.
The C 17 goes a bit further in that it can use its thrust reversers to back up a fully loaded aircraft up a 2% slope. It can and does use reverse thrust in the air to slow down when making a steep approach to an airstrip. Once on the ground it can do a 3 point turn on a narrow airstrip to enable it to taxi back to the arrival end for take off.

It can load 2 Blackhawk helicopters, but not a tiltrotor aircraft.

on topic:
In a previous post the US ship name is mis-spelt, it should be: USS Green Bay (LPD-2). It carries 2 MV-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft amongst other play things. As Japan is the only international operator of the type, then it follows that those being seen around Cha-Am are from the the USS Green Bay. It is classed as an amphibious dock, not an aircraft carrier.
USS Green Bay
USS Green Bay
The_Green_Bay_(LPD_20).jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 650 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!