Mince Pies

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Mince Pies

Post by Nereus »

This is in Australia, but I see them advertised here.

For and against: are Christmas mince pies actually any good?

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/christm ... /100685846

I have not tried them anywhere here. Anybody?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Mince Pies

Post by sateeb »

Maybe not to everybody's taste but I do enjoy a warm mince pie with Carnation milk at Yuletide.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Nereus wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:04 pm This is in Australia, but I see them advertised here.

For and against: are Christmas mince pies actually any good?

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/christm ... /100685846

I have not tried them anywhere here. Anybody?
One of the most delicious things my family and I used to eat in England over the festive season, that and Xmas pudding and drink Tia Maria 💕
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Interesting, I would have thought that mince pies were reasonably well known in the Antipodes given the Pommie history. :laugh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie ... ng%20world.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've tried a few here, and you certainly get what you're paying for. By far the best in my opinion, but probably amongst the most expensive are the Hua Hin Ham and Bacon mince pies. You can get a box of 6 in the UK for price of 1 of their pies, but worth every Baht.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I bought a box of 6 Waitrose 'essential' mince pies the other day, essential being their word for basic, or cheap. They cost 168 baht and I wish I hadn't bothered. I only bought them because I saw them for sale. I wasn't seeking them out.

Have to agree that Daves mince pies at HHH&B are very good. It's once a year so price doesn't really enter into it.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

One good thing about being back in the UK - some GREAT MINCE PIES!! Sorry..... :wink:

That said, I'll try and dig out a recipe for the "mincemeat" that was given to me by a friend whilst in China - all ingredients readily available in Asia, and trust me - superb for Christmas mince pies. I'll post as soon as I can find! :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:24 pm Maybe not to everybody's taste but I do enjoy a warm mince pie with Carnation milk at Yuletide.
Oh yes...... :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:29 am One good thing about being back in the UK - some GREAT MINCE PIES!! Sorry..... :wink:
I have a weekly Zoom catch up with UK relatives. Being Christmas, our last 2 get togethers have involved Christmas jumpers and mince pies.

Both times there has been amazement that we in Thailand have mince pies, but quite disturbingly they ask about the Thai filling. It seems that in the UK, traditional mincemeat is being replaced with other fillings. FFS, e.g. a mince pie filled with apple is an apple pie. They are quite gobsmacked that my pie is filled with traditional mincemeat, and only one other on the Zoom call had a pie filled filled with the traditional filling.

Another Christmas tradition that is being watered down.

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 am
pharvey wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:29 am One good thing about being back in the UK - some GREAT MINCE PIES!! Sorry..... :wink:
I have a weekly Zoom catch up with UK relatives. Being Christmas, our last 2 get togethers have involved Christmas jumpers and mince pies.

Both times there has been amazement that we in Thailand have mince pies, but quite disturbingly they ask about the Thai filling. It seems that in the UK, traditional mincemeat is being replaced with other fillings. FFS, e.g. a mince pie filled with apple is an apple pie. They are quite gobsmacked that my pie is filled with traditional mincemeat, and only one other on the Zoom call had a pie filled filled with the traditional filling.

Another Christmas tradition that is being watered down.
Yep, the standard supermarket pies are crap, and as you say likely filled with utter tosh... However, I have homemade to my Mam's and sadly passed Gran's recipes - if I can't get hold of them, there are some wonderful "Premium Pies" available..... To make it clear, all is available to me in the UK through family and the availability of ingredients.

Fully agree that Christmas can and is made "cheap" these days - thankfully, my family still believe in it (and no, we're not related to the Waltons).

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good, if you don't like mincemeat, and it can be an acquired taste, by all means have an apple pie. However, don't call it a mince pie :D

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I bought a dozen mince pies from Nany's yesterday. I was there just at the right time. She told me that within 10 mins of coming out of the kitchen, they're gone. I was there a couple of mins before they came out.
Can't say what the quality is like as yet, but they look good.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We tried some a couple of weeks back. Quality is not a word I'd use.

Different people have different tastes of course.

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:22 am Good, if you don't like mincemeat, and it can be an acquired taste, by all means have an apple pie. However, don't call it a mince pie :D
EH? Now where did I mention apple or a dislike of mincemeat? Come along BB - read the post. I love mincemeat - hence having the traditional recipes of my Mam or Gran..... Good God man - read! :wink: :D I might even send you the recipe!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:37 am We tried some a couple of weeks back. Quality is not a word I'd use.

Different people have different tastes of course.
Thanks for that, BB. Now I expect them to be awful and if they're better than awful, it's a result.