Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Re: Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Post by wenshidi »

Of course, smoking ganja is more difficult than drinking alcohol or using cigarettes........."

Alcohol and cigarettes are available at every 7'11 and mom-and-pop corner store, not to mention most supermarkets. They are also dirt cheap. Not many Thais can afford shop bought ganja at current prices.

Are you wilfully ignorant or is it your natural state of mind?

That sounds quite offensive when I repeat it to you, but it was orginally your comment, and it is not my intent to offend.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

wenshidi wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:16 pm Of course, smoking ganja is more difficult than drinking alcohol or using cigarettes........."

Alcohol and cigarettes are available at every 7'11 and mom-and-pop corner store, not to mention most supermarkets. They are also dirt cheap. Not many Thais can afford shop bought ganja at current prices.

Are you wilfully ignorant or is it your natural state of mind?

That sounds quite offensive when I repeat it to you, but it was orginally your comment, and it is not my intent to offend.
I was referring to Antun's comment, in relation to the act of smoking marijuana compared to smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol which has nothing to do with purchasing or Thais being able to afford shop-bought marijuana.
Is that clear enough?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anutin is making billions out of this so he will obviously defend it as being 'his baby'. Additionally, it would be a massive loss of face for him if it were overturned.

From what I gleaned from Thai news on TV yesterday, they can't arrest people for smoking weed at home or having a couple of plants, but those who want to sell it or mass produce it need a license and will be investigated. (I could be wrong though as shit changes daily here).

The fact that we can even discuss it online now without living in fear of being carted off by cyberpolice is a huge step forward (for however long that may last)!

:rasta:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just had a long weekend away in Kanchanaburi where it is openly for sale and being consumed. Back in HH, there were vendors around the live music bars selling pre-rolled ones. It does seem like the weed culture has seeped into the tourist areas.

erb1.jpg
erb1.jpg (132.18 KiB) Viewed 15008 times
erb2.jpg
erb2.jpg (191.1 KiB) Viewed 15008 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Pre-rolls are an expensive way to smoke. I guess it doesn't matter to the tourists.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, you're paying a Hua Hin premium to buy it in any format here. Prices should come down when more of it is on the market and large crops are maturing, but then it could be taxed to hell here just like alcohol.

The black market will remain no matter what the politicians decide.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:59 am Yep, you're paying a Hua Hin premium to buy it in any format here. Prices should come down when more of it is on the market and large crops are maturing, but then it could be taxed to hell here just like alcohol.

The black market will remain no matter what the politicians decide.
I imagine that it's mostly foreigners who buy from the shops and stalls. Thais use the black market as it's cheaper.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

I imagine that it's mostly foreigners who buy from the shops and stalls. Thais use the black market as it's cheaper.

Ironically, it was cheaper before legalisation. It has been a while, but a few years ago any moto or tuk tuk in town could hook you up.

I hear that there is yet another new shop opened up on Soi 6.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Well Captain Cannabis should be proud of himself. as im sure he is.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/cannabi ... 2022-12-04
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess that the following is what he himslf would do:
Anutin has been a very vocal supporter of decriminalised cannabis but he expressed concern over the viral photos. He suggested that local law enforcement should step up their enforcement of marijuana law. But, he did also hint that he suspected the photo was not genuine, but rather a choreographed picture designed to spark outrage and perhaps anti-cannabis sentiment.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

The junta is already gearing up for New Year "crackdown mode" ... alcohol ban next?

Weed vendors issued New Year warning

The Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine (DTAM) has warned vendors against getting involved in New Year parties where cannabis is used as part of the celebrations.

DTAM director-general Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong on Tuesday responded to public concerns that some shop owners may organise "cannabis parties" during New Year festivities despite the Public Health Ministry's cannabis control regulations.

Dr Thongchai said whenever his department receives such complaints, it immediately assigns its staff to inspect such venues to see whether they comply with cannabis control regulations.

If vendors are found to be illegally distributing cannabis without a licence, legal action will surely follow. If people are found to be smoking cannabis flowers, they will be arrested, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ar-warning
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you don't own a Cannabis shop, & you promise to only smoke the leaves, is it OK to organize a party?

Does one have to take stupid or insane pills in order to become a member of the government, or is it a natural state that occurs when one becomes a member of the government?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cannabis bill runs out of time
The House of Representatives has almost run out of time to pass the much-awaited cannabis bill, as lawmakers remain divided over key provisions, leaving the fast-growing industry in regulatory limbo.

The House failed to conclude the second reading of the bill on Wednesday, the last session earmarked for the controversial legislation before it goes into a recess next week.

House dissolution is expected to follow in early March as parties gear up for the election that will be held no later than May 7.

The delay was caused by some MPs arguing that the cannabis and hemp bill lacked the teeth to prevent recreational use of cannabis and demanding that the plant be listed as a narcotic again.

Decriminalisation of cannabis was championed by the Bhumjaithai Party during the 2019 election campaign as a way to create a new economic crop with widespread medical, food and beverage applications.

Thailand became the first country in Asia to decriminalise cannabis in June by delisting the plant as a narcotic but has since struggled to prevent its use for recreational purposes and the proliferation of dispensaries selling everything from cookies and cosmetics laced with its extracts.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ut-of-time

You just know a Thailand u-turn is coming with this one (depending on who wins the "elections").
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Has decriminalization and subsequent recreational use caused a big problem? Has it led to a societal breakdown? Have traffic deaths and injuries increased in number because of it?

Or is the problem really that small businesses have sprung up and saturated the market before one of the big family monopolies (or even a state monopoly) could mobilise to take advantage?
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

hhinner wrote:^^ Has decriminalization and subsequent recreational use caused a big problem? Has it led to a societal breakdown? Have traffic deaths and injuries increased in number because of it?

Or is the problem really that small businesses have sprung up and saturated the market before one of the big family monopolies (or even a state monopoly) could mobilise to take advantage?
Yes to all your questions. Walking up and down Soi 94, 80 and Binta I see stoned zombies everywhere ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

YNWA