Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
butch
Rookie
Rookie

marijuana

Post by butch »

i left hua hin for flordia 12 years ago. still check hhua 2-3 times a week. i am wondering how the new ruling on marijuana is affecting hua hin. i read where many bars in bkk are refusing to allow it to be smoked in the bar. someone i know was in bkk and said the smell was everywhere. personally i think no good well come of it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: marijuana

Post by handdrummer »

butch wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:53 pm i left hua hin for flordia 12 years ago. still check hhua 2-3 times a week. i am wondering how the new ruling on marijuana is affecting hua hin. i read where many bars in bkk are refusing to allow it to be smoked in the bar. someone i know was in bkk and said the smell was everywhere. personally i think no good well come of it.
There are at least 4 places in Hua Hin where you can buy weed. Expensive, but the quality is good.

I don't think that goodness is on the list of benefits. People just want to get high for whatever reasons, be it recreational or medical.

What good has ever come from drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco and yet they're readily available in most places in the world?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Post by HHTel »

It certainly appears that the law is being completely ignored and right under the noses of the authorities.
The new cannabis policies permit production and consumption solely for medical or health-related reasons; not recreational purposes.
It's going to be the same as the helmet law. Completely ignored save for a random blitz every blue moon.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's impossible to know if MJ is being used for health or recreational purposes. In one sense, it's always used for health purposes; everyone feels better after using it.

Due to the Thai character, all laws are written ambiguously and left open to interpretation, i.e. bribery. It's best to sit down while taking a stand.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

In my view, the main thing, once this new bill is passed, is whether legal strength will be limited to 0.2 per cent.

If so, forget legal recreational smoking.

If there's no strength limit then it's back to all systems go with some restrictions such as age and so on.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 am In my view, the main thing, once this new bill is passed, is whether legal strength will be limited to 0.2 per cent.

If so, forget legal recreational smoking.

If there's no strength limit then it's back to all systems go with some restrictions such as age and so on.
At the moment you can buy 10% and up at MV. Stock up while it's still available. :rasta:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

New to me, this shop on Soi Bus Stop in Cha Am.
ganja.jpg
(299.86 KiB) Downloaded 13063 times
The price seems high to me. When I bought online from a Lazada seller I got 15 grams for less than 300 baht. But this (450 baht/gram) seems to be inline with what recreational quality weed is going for in the US.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Ratsima wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:55 am New to me, this shop on Soi Bus Stop in Cha Am.

ganja.jpg

The price seems high to me. When I bought online from a Lazada seller I got 15 grams for less than 300 baht. But this (450 baht/gram) seems to be inline with what recreational quality weed is going for in the US.
That's 50 bht less than Market Village in Hua Hin.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

20 Cannabis shops have opened in Hua Hin

Post by wenshidi »

https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisThaila ... ub_members

Not all that many compared to 70 in Phuket and 130 odd in Bangkok, but still more than I expected.

Prices are starting to drop rapidly, so I do not think many will be able to stay open very long.

I recently saw a Youtuber pick up 50 grams for 450 baht in Khao Yai, and so by the new year, joints will probably be as cheap as regular cigarettes.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Cannabis flower bud now a controlled substance with restrictions

The walk-backs have begun for the unrestricted cannabis swell in Thailand. In a new edict coming into effect today, the Ministry of Public Health has tightened the rules on who can grow and sell cannabis, and where. The new edict, already published in the Royal Gazette making it official, now supersedes the original announcement legalising and decriminalising cannabis on June 16.

When cannabis was decriminalised, it was done without any regulation or structure, aside from website signup to license over a million people to grow, distribute and sell, causing prices to plummet. Over time, small rules were put into place to bar it from government property and officials, and prevent children and pregnant women from using it.

The new edict reinforces some of those regulations, making it illegal to sell any form of cannabis to pregnant or breastfeeding women, people under 20 years old, and students. But it also limits where it can be sold and smoked.

According to Thai PBS World, smoking cannabis at any business location is now strictly forbidden as is advertising the plant in any form for commercial use.

Cannabis can not be sold in any business to be consumed in that business. The only exception is for medical usage, and that must be sold and administered by a medical practitioner, certified rural medic, or traditional medical practitioner. The Bhumjaithai Party that pushed so hard for the legalisation of the herb has since backtracked on their support and claimed that they only ever intended legal cannabis to be used for medicinal purposes.

Other places now forbidden for the sale of cannabis include temples or other places of worship, public parks, and amusement parks. Hostels were also particularly singled out, though it is unclear if the ganja ban also applies to hotels. In popular tourist areas, hostels and hotels named and themed entirely based on cannabis have cropped up, in the last six months. Now it seems those places may be in legal peril.

The new regulations will now classify the cannabis flower bud (but not other parts of the plant) as a controlled herb. Rules will apply and an official permit must be applied for and received before it can be used for any commercial purpose. Permitting will also be required for exporting, processing, studying or researching cannabis.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Regulations so complicated will be interpreted differently and many times ignored as most of the enforcement agencies will be confused. Business as usual.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

This new regulation seems pretty straightforward to me. It's right here:

The new regulations will now classify the cannabis flower bud (but not other parts of the plant) as a controlled herb

Forget the rest of the blurb. Basically, recreational use is now forbidden. That's what the whole edict is about.

I'd lay money on the maximum THC content being controlled at 0.2%.

And for medical use. Don't know enough about that but I'm going to try and find out whether those leaves, stalks and roots have any therapeutic value at all. Thought they were just for food flavouring?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK. Seems like the leaves do have some medical benefit.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

New moves to criminalise cannabis shrugged off by Anutin

Amid moves to walk back the legalisation of cannabis, big supporter Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul has shrugged off the attempt to criminalise the herb again. Anutin, who also serves as deputy prime minister, says that the debate over cannabis is decided and done.

Opponents of legalisation are pushing for cannabis to be reclassified as a Type 5 narcotic, which would be under the purview of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board. But Anutin says the cannabis legalisation is for medical purposes and will not lead to an increase in illegal use by underage people. He reckoned that smoking ganja is more difficult than drinking alcohol or using cigarettes so the threat is minimal and parents should be overseeing their children anyway.

Anutin has always maintained that his Bhumjaithai Party push for legalisation of cannabis was only for medicinal purposes.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/cannabi ... cdL4wuAyXE
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"He reckoned that smoking ganja is more difficult than drinking alcohol or using cigarettes........."

Is he wilfully ignorant or is it his natural state of mind?