Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Post by Nereus »

Too much POT!
.........................................................................................
Royal Thai Police baffled by pot memo

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... y-pot-memo

The Ministry of Public Health recalled an urgent letter shortly after it was sent to the Royal Thai Police (RTP) asking them to take legal action against those who failed to seek permits related to the use of cannabis.

The recall was apparently prompted by the RTP's reaction.

In the letter to the national police chief, deputy permanent secretary for Public Health Narong Saiwong said cannabis has been listed as a controlled herb under the Traditional Medicine Wisdom Protection and Promotion Act.

The plant was put on the list of controlled herbs in mid-June after it was removed from the country's narcotics list on June 9 to control its use. However, a more detailed law on cannabis and hemp is still pending.

As a result, its usage is being regulated under Section 46 of the act, and police and officials are authorised to take legal action against four groups who fail to seek permits. They comprise those who carry out research studies on cannabis, export cannabis, distribute the plant or process it for commercial purposes.

However, RTP spokesman Pol Maj Gen Yingyot Thepjamnong said there are certain issues the RTP has to clarify with the Ministry of Public Health in regard to the letter.

He said the national police chief found contradictions that must be addressed.

"To prevent public confusion and ensure effective enforcement, the national police chief has asked the RTP's Law and Litigation Office to straighten some issues out with the ministry," Pol Maj Gen Yingyot said.

Yongyot Thammawut, director-general of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, said a sub-committee agreed the list of controlled herbs should be revised to cover only cannabis flowers.

He said if the whole plant is listed as a controlled herb, cannabis growers and those who use other parts such as leaves, roots or stems will be affected. After the list is revised, it will be submitted to the minister for endorsement.

"For the time being, authorities will resort to warnings rather than making arrests ... unless the plant is sold for smoking.

"The ministry has made clear its stance on the recreational use of cannabis. Medicinal cannabis will proceed and misuse must be prevented," he said.

According to the ministry, permits must be sought in line with its 2016 directive on the research, import, distribution or procession of controlled herbs for commercial purposes.

Mr Yongyot and chiefs of provincial health offices are in charge of processing permits.

Before the letter was recalled, Senator Kamnoon Sidhisamarn welcomed the Ministry of Public Health's action, saying it should have sent the letter to the RTP earlier.

He wrote on Facebook that most activities related to the use of cannabis are illegal unless they are permitted under Section 46 of the act.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul reiterated on Wednesday that the draft law being examined by the House does not permit recreational use of the plant.

He said the letter involves the use of cannabis flowers and insisted that drying cannabis flowers for smoking is illegal, not to mention that it is against the excise regulations on cigarettes.

"Selling cannabis flowers requires a permit and it is impossible for us to grant permits for smoking. Don't make people devalue cannabis.

"What would happen to those using cannabis for treatment, or those investing in a business, if the delisting was cancelled?"

Mr Anutin said Tom Kruesopon, who founded the Golden Triangle Group, a leading developer and manufacturer of hemp and cannabis in Thailand, will face the music if he has violated any laws.

He was responding to criticism that he has ties to the businessman.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"Mr Anutin said Tom Kruesopon, who founded the Golden Triangle Group, a leading developer and manufacturer of hemp and cannabis in Thailand, will face the music if he has violated any laws."

Did he really say, "face the music?" I'd go for Mahler's 4th. or, "Dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinkin' to high heaven."
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....not to mention that it is against the excise regulations on cigarettes.
This has always been my opinion, once you decriminalize cannabis anywhere, sooner or later it's going to get taxed the same as tobacco and alcohol.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:12 pm sooner or later it's going to get taxed the same as tobacco and alcohol.
Probably the incentive for the government to decriminalize.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Less Africans trying to sell you dodgy stuff around Soi Nana.. :duck:
วินเชนท์
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:37 am
Long-term residents, however, point out that in the past many have been threatened with drug arrests without any drugs being involved. It has, for example, been quite common for tourists getting off the Pattaya bus at Ekkamai to be arrested for cannabis possession without any spliffs being found in their bags.
I will always remember daily 11 am display of chain gangs of unfortunate tourists being transported away in manacles and leg irons from the police station at the top end of Khao San Road. I always wondered how many of them had been taken into custody for drunken brawling, and how many were victims of entrapment by tuktuk drivers and RTP working in collusion.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:23 pm On the meantime, where can I buy some weed in Hua Hin?
Basement level of Market Village, over near Moshi Moshi, between soi 6 and 7. It’s called “The Weed Shop” by Thong Thai Herbs. They are openly selling various strains of Indica, Sativa and Hybrid buds (600-700 baht per gram), some pre-rolled joints, some edibles, gels, lotions, pipes, bongs, rolling papers, etc. The sales gal says some of it is imported, she thinks from the USA, some is local grown, hence the difference in price. It’s the real deal ! They welcome picture taking.

Also, yesterday I saw pot plants being sold out of the back of a pickup on upper end of soi 94. Some larger plants (2-3 feet tall), lots of seedlings about 8-10 inches tall. Didn’t ask prices, will next me.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thanks for the info. 600-700 a gram is expensive, but what can you do? We have a gardener and I wouldn't want to take a chance with plants in the yard.

Do you mean between Soi 6 & 8? 6 & 7 are on opposite sides of the road.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I just googled The Weed Shop Hua Hin and there are a number of sites that list all the dispensaries in Hua Hin, Who'd uh thunk it?
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:54 pm Do you mean between Soi 6 & 8? 6 & 7 are on opposite sides of the road.
These are the sois within the basement of Market Village. It’s within 20-30 meters of Moshi Moshi, one of the center rows (sois).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Scout wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:38 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:54 pm Do you mean between Soi 6 & 8? 6 & 7 are on opposite sides of the road.
These are the sois within the basement of Market Village. It’s within 20-30 meters of Moshi Moshi, one of the center rows (sois).
I didn't know that, thanks, I haven't been down there in years.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

There is now also a big new Cannabis shop opened opposite Makro, on the Petchakasem road in Bor Fai.

I am sure that there will be many more in the next six months.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

wenshidi wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:08 pm There is now also a big new Cannabis shop opened opposite Makro, on the Petchakasem road in Bor Fai.

I am sure that there will be many more in the next six months.
Or, until the govt. realizes that people may be using cannabis to enjoy themselves and change the rules again.

There's an interesting man on Thai TV, his program is called Sondhi Talks (and he does it for 2 hrs. non-stop every Fri. night at 8:30. (in Thai) He also has a Facebook page. For the past several weeks, he's been promoting the use of Cannabis for medical reasons. He also talks a lot about corruption and politicians, etc.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whist on Samui last week, we tried to buy a couple of Samui T-shirts for family in Hua Hin. We didn't look that hard, but all we found were Cannabis T-shirts. So that was 6 T-shirts not sold, but it just shows how the country think Cannabis is going to be it's saviour.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:29 am Whist on Samui last week, we tried to buy a couple of Samui T-shirts for family in Hua Hin. We didn't look that hard, but all we found were Cannabis T-shirts. So that was 6 T-shirts not sold, but it just shows how the country think Cannabis is going to be it's saviour.
The most misused and misunderstood word in Thailand is; Think. There isn't enough thinking in the whole country to fill a joint or pipe bowl.

I lived in a small Southern US town that I thought was the dumbest place I'd ever lived, and it's been surpassed by Thailand, as the stupidest place I've ever lived. Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.