The Ashes 2021

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Ashes 2021

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:12 pm England do reasonably well to bowl Australia out for 267, but then lose their first two wickets for only 7 runs - what odds would you get for a victory?
Far less than you would for a draw at 100-1 !! Should Covid come into play (there have been a number of positives) and the Test cancelled, would it be classed as a draw? Hmmm.... :mrgreen:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Attachments
ashes.png
ashes.png (182.16 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What an embarrassing shambles, now 65-8 and looking unlikely that Australia will need to bat again!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Another miserable start to the day.

As a Man U fan at least I have the consolation of seeing a worse team performance.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:45 am What an embarrassing shambles, now 65-8 and looking unlikely that Australia will need to bat again!!
Make that 65-9!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Make that The Ashes!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

England all out for 68 , disgraceful batting. :cuss: Boland bowled 4 overs 6 wickets for 7 runs. The ashes are lost. Well done Australia. :bow:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

A star is is born in new fast bowler Scott Boland with a 6/7. wow
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 am As a Man U fan...
I'd like to say you have my sympathy. But you don't. Bullied and bossed by both Norwich and Newcastle. :laugh:

I see relegation in your future...

istockphoto-108194384-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-108194384-612x612.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 144 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Lost wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:46 am
I'd like to say you have my sympathy. But you don't. Bullied and bossed by both Norwich and Newcastle. :laugh:

At least I won't be there to see it unlike the last time in April '74 :thumb:

Be careful what you wish for, Karma is a realll biatch :laugh:.

Back to cricket, how about David De Gea for wicketkeeper, gotta be better than Jos "butterfingers" Buttler :naughty:

― George Carlin
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:41 am
Lost wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:46 am

Be careful what you wish for, Karma is a realll biatch :laugh:.
Oh, don't you worry. I fully expect this post to come back and bite me on the arse. Possibly as early as this afternoon. :mrgreen:

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......... Rather painful - 37 runs for the last 6 wickets was it?

How to describe that display.......? I don't think "abysmal" or "shambles" come close.

Pretty sure this lot are not going to influence a new generation of cricketers!! :roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Very interesting article by Jonathan Agnew. He picked up on limited overs cricket, and in my view he is right. Why did we need the 100 ball matches? What it is doing is damaging the skills needed for a test match.

Jonathan Agnew wrote

Realistically, England never stood a chance.

Like plenty of others, I thought there were a number of factors going into this Ashes series that would level the playing field: the disrupted preparations, the two pink-ball Tests, no match in Perth.

I was wrong. England's build-up has left them brutally exposed to an Australian side including a number of players who have been getting match practice in the Sheffield Shield.

Joe Root's side gave up their battle to regain the urn inside only 12 days of cricket, the last of which was a meek surrender to 68 all out to lose the third Test by an innings and 14 runs.

England have been criticised for their decision making, both over the course of this year and since they arrived in Australia. Root, coach Chris Silverwood and others who run the team will come under scrutiny.

However, if you can't bat, you will not win games of cricket - and England have barely batted in these first three Tests.

Just look at their totals: 147, 297, 236, 192, 185 and 68. It is not good enough.

'Press the reset button' - how pundits reacted to England's Ashes defeat
Ashes defeat 'gut-wrenching' - Root

The Ashes: Mitchell Starc bowls Ben Stokes for 11
Neither is it anything new. We have known about England's batting frailties for a long time and now the manner of this defeat should bring into focus the way their batsmen are prepared for Test cricket.

We have often debated the negative impact that the domestic structure is having on the technique of England's batsmen.

This latest humbling in Australia should serve as incontrovertible evidence that it is not fit for purpose.

The County Championship has been marginalised to the fringes of the season for the convenience of playing more limited-overs cricket. The ability to produce a solid defence has given way to the desire to hit ramps, scoops and towering sixes.

The message from the authorities is the shortest formats are the only interesting or exciting versions of cricket.

If that is the way they are trying to lure the public, then so too will players be seduced because they will think it is the future of the game.

I'm not for one second playing down the importance of T20 cricket or The Hundred. The shorter formats should be used to fund the more traditional elements of the game.

And, of course, the Australians have their own domestic one-day competitions, but not nearly the amount of limited-overs matches that are played in the UK.

The long-term consequence of the County Championship being pushed to the beginning and end of the summer means English batsmen have very little opportunity to play in conditions remotely similar to what they might encounter in Test cricket. The step-up is then so alien they might as well be playing a different sport.

The Ashes: Australia's Scott Boland claims six wickets in Ashes debut
It is not only the longer-term factors that have led England to this defeat.

Even before the complications presented by Covid, the tourists planned to prepare for this tour in isolation, playing matches among themselves, rather than taking on Australian state or domestic opposition.

Then, when you throw in the issues that have arisen because of Covid, primarily the lack of cricket between Tests for players to find form, it creates a vicious circle.

Batsmen go into Tests underprepared, so they struggle. However, the reserves are not in a position to replace them because they have not had any cricket.

It leads to the situation we saw with Zak Crawley in Melbourne. He came in to replace Rory Burns having not played anything meaningful since September.

Crawley was pushed out to take on a revved-up Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc, and asked to survive a torrid final hour on the second day in a cauldron fuelled by a rowdy crowd.

Of course he failed. What chance did he really have?

England are facing two more Tests. Two more opportunities to register their first Test win down under in a decade, two more chances to avoid a whitewash.

Root looked exhausted when I spoke to him after the Melbourne loss. Will he want to continue as captain? It may depend on how these two matches go.

Crucially, his batting is not being affected, yet he may decide he has had enough. There does not seem to be an obvious option to replace him, but that is not Root's problem.

As for Silverwood, his role as coach and chief selector needs to be looked at. I have never liked the idea of a 'supremo', and the need for ideas from elsewhere is certainly more apparent than ever.

Might we be seeing the last of players such as Jos Buttler and Jonny Bairstow in the Test arena? There will be talk of a clearout, but replacements have to be better than what you have already got.

I'm sure Stuart Broad will sit down and think whether he wants to continue. He and James Anderson would love a farewell, waving to the crowds, but sport rarely offers room for sentimentality. If Broad feels his time has come, he will make that decision.

There is also the spectre of Covid hanging over the remaining two Tests, with positive cases among the England group.

Cricket Australia are bullish about the tour being completed and I'm still fairly sure they will manage to get the players to the fourth Test in Sydney, then on to Hobart for the finale.

After three heavy defeats, facing the prospect of a whitewash and with careers on the line, avoiding Covid is one more pressure to heap on the battered
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is a totally ignorant question from a cricket ignoramus. It seems only 2 years ago England (and Wales - who seem to be keeping their heads down :run:) were on top of the cricket world. All that I seem to be seeing here (and on Sky News) is that England's cricketers are crap. Very little credit seems to be going to the Aussies for being brilliant - could it be that this Aussie team have peaked and are the best that have ever been, and no team could live with them at the moment?

Just asking.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:35 am This is a totally ignorant question from a cricket ignoramus. It seems only 2 years ago England (and Wales - who seem to be keeping their heads down :run:) were on top of the cricket world. All that I seem to be seeing here (and on Sky News) is that England's cricketers are crap. Very little credit seems to be going to the Aussies for being brilliant - could it be that this Aussie team have peaked and are the best that have ever been, and no team could live with them at the moment?

Just asking.
It’s probably a bit of both - England dropping form rather quickly and the Aus’s improving, and you can’t ignore the home support which is worth a couple of wickets even before the Captain’s toss to decide who bats first. It also helps a tad when a debutant takes 6-7 in just a few overs. It may be going a bit too far to say the “Englands Cricketers are crap”, but in this test, it sums them up pretty well. Let’s not forget that when it comes to the Ashes, England rarely do well, especially when they are playing down under.