Re-opening Price Gouging

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Re-opening Price Gouging

Post by PeteC »

It's inevitable that this will happen, perhaps on a scale we've never seen. So many have been denied an income for the best part of two years now not only tourists may experience it, but seasoned expats as well.

If you see it or are a victim yourself, use this thread to let us know what and where. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: Re-opening Price Gouging

Post by buksida »

Just had a road trip to several places and didn't notice much of it yet, not that there was much open.

The weekend price hiking is still going on in some places now that the Bangkok hordes are back on the road.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I was talking to an American earlier this morning and he'd recently returned from a quick trip back to the States,

He stayed the mandatory night in his usual BKK hotel to wait for his covid test. His usual price there is 1,000 THB but they did a package deal for him including transfer to the hotel (travel bubble) and the PCR test for the very UNreasonable price of 6,500 THB. Crazy,
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:53 pm I was talking to an American earlier this morning and he'd recently returned from a quick trip back to the States,

He stayed the mandatory night in his usual BKK hotel to wait for his covid test. His usual price there is 1,000 THB but they did a package deal for him including transfer to the hotel (travel bubble) and the PCR test for the very UNreasonable price of 6,500 THB. Crazy,
Yes totally crazy, and if you look at the list of hotels the prices quoted are per person, not per room anymore, and are very steep for a couple before they even start their holiday
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've just had a mail from my travel agent giving four options of SHA hotels. Prices from 4,500 up to 6,000 (incl airport transfer, meals and PCR test).

Not that I've got much option when returning but I will look at Agoda or similar to see what the normal one night rate is.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lomuamart wrote:I've just had a mail from my travel agent giving four options of SHA hotels. Prices from 4,500 up to 6,000 (incl airport transfer, meals and PCR test).

Not that I've got much option when returning but I will look at Agoda or similar to see what the normal one night rate is.
I’ve paid 6000 for a one-night package at a 5* hotel - I could have got cheaper but the PCR test alone is at least 2,000 Baht so throw in a limousine transfer and meals and it isn’t too bad - of course if it was for a week or for a family, I’d have shopped around more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Forgive what will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think a little raise in prices here and there - for people who have lost huge chunks of their livelihood over the pandemic - is something for farangs to scream 'victim' over. Particularly for those retired expats on pensions who lost absolutely nothing financially for the duration.

To 'name and shame' people as they are just managing to reopen their businesses seems a little crass in the current circumstances. Even if they have tried it on for an extra 100 baht or whatever.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The only price gouging we're hearing of so far are hotels, who don't seem to be adding 100฿. In the only example so far, the add-on has been 5,500฿.

If my 50฿ Fried Rice becomes 150฿, I will not be happy. I've recently stopped an order because of a 25% price hike (not Covid related). The problem is that it isn't 100฿, it is 100฿ every time you buy that product - be sure the prices, once hiked, won't drop again if people just pay.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Lost wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:24 pm Forgive what will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think a little raise in prices here and there - for people who have lost huge chunks of their livelihood over the pandemic - is something for farangs to scream 'victim' over. Particularly for those retired expats on pensions who lost absolutely nothing financially for the duration.

To 'name and shame' people as they are just managing to reopen their businesses seems a little crass in the current circumstances. Even if they have tried it on for an extra 100 baht or whatever.

When an "expat" is on a fixed income, a price hike does make a difference. I've noticed that my grocery bills are much higher and there are fewer products available, many imports have been replaced by Thai products of lower quality and at the same time at a sometimes higher price than the imports they're replacing. There's no one size fits all.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Lost wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:24 pm Forgive what will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think a little raise in prices here and there - for people who have lost huge chunks of their livelihood over the pandemic - is something for farangs to scream 'victim' over. Particularly for those retired expats on pensions who lost absolutely nothing financially for the duration.

A little? From 1,000 to 6,500 THB a night. A little?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:45 pm
Lost wrote: Forgive what will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think a little raise in prices here and there - for people who have lost huge chunks of their livelihood over the pandemic - is something for farangs to scream 'victim' over. Particularly for those retired expats on pensions who lost absolutely nothing financially for the duration.

My comments were really for little independent businesses just managing to reopen for tourists and the like. Not 4/5* hotels.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lomuamart wrote:

However, the new rate does include the PCR test (2,000+), airport transfer and meals, so whilst the increase might still be fairly steep, not as much as would first appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've been giving larger tips to the small local businesses that haven't price hiked - they're much more appreciative, the service is better, and I usually return there.

The greedy bastards that triple their prices can go to hell - we've all got a choice where we spend our hard-earned.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe if we all had as much money as Lost, we wouldn't have to worry about 100฿ price hikes. This is a country where the average wage is still way below 400฿/day. So that is the equivalent of hiking UK prices by £17.82 (based on minimum wage). I'm sure we're all proud of Lost helping the needy in the UK.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20