Remove Shoes Before Entering

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Remove Shoes Before Entering

Post by Big Boy »

I've been visiting Thailand since the 80's and have lived here since 2012. I am quite familiar with the remove your shoes requirements and have always complied. Until today that is.

We decided we'd go out for lunch, and decided to visit somewhere new. A bit out of the way, but excellent reviews. We turned up at (I won't name names because judging by the number of rave reviews I am the only person on Planet Earth that has objected), and I was astounded at the requirement to remove shoes before entering. Suffice to say, I didn't - I simply turned around, went back to the car and drove somewhere else.

I've eaten in some very nice restaurants all over Thailand, and have NEVER been requested to remove my shoes before - I certainly wasn't going to start taking my shoes off to enter this cafe. It just seems to be a very strange requirement to me having to take your shoes off before entering a restaurant/cafe. Is this a common requirement that I've been oblivious to all of my Thai days, or is somebody taking their culture a step too far?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Remove Shoes Before Entering

Post by europtimiste »

Happened to me twice in hotels, of course I turned around and left.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I wouldn't say common, but I've run into it almost exclusively with Thai restaurants that are the old Thai teak elevated house type with polished teak floors. Most have standard height table sitting, as well as floor level table sitting. Many times with a pretty young lady in the corner playing a Thai traditional instrument, usually a Chakhe or Ranat I think.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually had it happen to me twice in hotels - both different hotels in Ayutthaya. I was surprised, but as I'd already paid, I complied. The 2nd time, I simply assumed it was an Ayutthaya thing.

Points 48; Position 20
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

If i entered my mothers house with out removing my shoes got a clip round the ear.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mine too, but do you expect to remove shoes before entering a restaurant?

Points 48; Position 20
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Did it have wood floor, then quite understandable. I go with the flow. Don't think I would turn around and leavve.

Back in the states, shoes removed at my house, and also my 1 brother's. Other 2 didn't care. So wasn't an adjustment here for me. At my house here, I don't remove, but switch to my indoor flip flop / sandals. Tile floors are a bitch on my feet.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've had to Google it, but most definitely tiled floor.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

To be honest, I don't really understand the level of dismay and indignity. If they were asking you to stand on your head and sing the Thai national anthem I'd be with you all the way, but taking my shoes off, in Thailand, even at a restaurant, wouldn't really merit a raised eyebrow (unless I were wearing my thigh-length patent leather boots, which are a bugger to get off and on).

I find that much less irritating than the requirement to wear a jacket and tie at some posh UK restaurants. Not that I've been to one for a while... :laugh:
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My only objection to removing my shoes is at doctors' offices, blood test clinics & other commercial places. Who knows what people have on their feet? If I have socks on that's then it's ok.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm To be honest, I don't really understand the level of dismay and indignity. If they were asking you to stand on your head and sing the Thai national anthem I'd be with you all the way, but taking my shoes off, in Thailand, even at a restaurant, wouldn't really merit a raised eyebrow (unless I were wearing my thigh-length patent leather boots, which are a bugger to get off and on).

I find that much less irritating than the requirement to wear a jacket and tie at some posh UK restaurants. Not that I've been to one for a while... :laugh:
I think both are valid requests. Maintaining a certain standard for the establishment. However it does not necessarily mean the people concerned can maintain the standard of behaviour expected.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm To be honest, I don't really understand the level of dismay and indignity. If they were asking you to stand on your head and sing the Thai national anthem I'd be with you all the way, but taking my shoes off, in Thailand, even at a restaurant, wouldn't really merit a raised eyebrow (unless I were wearing my thigh-length patent leather boots, which are a bugger to get off and on).

This is why I asked, judging by the reviews, many must be doing it, and enjoying it. I guess because I'd never encountered it before in over 30 years of Thailand, I found it very strange and needed to question why? One restaurant in the thousands of restaurants in Thailand requiring shoes to be left outside - my internal warning system told me to turn around and go somewhere that I could keep my footwear on my feet.

As for the jacket and tie, I used to avoid wardrooms/officers mess for exactly that reason. Usually a bunch of hoorah Henrys trying to be something that they aren't. If I need a jacket and tie, I usually find an excuse. Weddings are an exception.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 pm My only objection to removing my shoes is at doctors' offices, blood test clinics & other commercial places. Who knows what people have on their feet?
Almost certainly nothing worse than they'd have on their shoes!! :laugh:
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I avoided jacket and tie at all costs. After all, I had to wear the same all day so I considered suit and tie as 'work clothes'. Mine you, I did like putting on a tux, frilly shirt and bow tie for those reeeeely special occasions.
As for removing shoes: I grew up with that mandate from my parents and I followed that with my own kids in the UK. Never had to remove shoes anywhere else except of course here in Thailand.

I've been trying to find a clip of Hyacinth Bucket making a policeman remove his shoes before entering but can't find it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interestingly enough there seems to be articles on-line saying that the bottom of shoes can carry and transfer Covid. Perhaps what this restaurant is doing is a short term precaution until the pandemic eases up?

As mentioned above, if it's not a polished teak floor type place removing shoes is very unusual.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source