The Shaving Thread

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: The Shaving Thread

Post by joelle »

sateeb wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:07 am
joelle wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 am
Gregjam wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:31 am After some initial blood letting it still happens but not so often and a styptic pencil helps.
Where do you find it as I have looked and asked around and they don't seem to know the item and of course "no have"
Lazada is your friend but the item does ship from China. Just type styptic pencil in the search box. :cheers:
Thanks didn't think of lazada!
Actually just ordered it on shopee much cheaper as their delivery charge is less than lazada
Thank you anyway :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

A video about shaving and shavers. More information than you thought you needed, nevertheless, useful.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone got a link to Laz or Shopee for genuine blades/razor combo that won't rip your face off? Our local Tesco is too small to stock such. The mrs had to cut my hair this week as everything is closed here ... number 4 all over!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's not real without photos :laugh:

From what I can see, on Lazada, if you want to protect your face, you will have to sacrifice an arm and a leg. I've looked at Shopee, and they seem to have real as well as fake, they cost a lot, but nowhere near as much as Lazada.

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=gil ... ea7f8052b8

NB: Only consider the blades with proper Gillette packaging.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

buksida

Post by buksida »

WOW! :shock: 28 quid for a razor - I don't think your average Thai will be shaving too much with those!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Key words would be "disposable razors" with results below. Much less expensive and similar to the Tesco brand that BB uses.

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=disposable%20razors

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=dis ... mMvYmMvYOr

Edit: Also, I looked some days ago and Tesco has an on-line store where you can buy the BB Brand 6 blade disposable razor, as well as 4 and 2 blade.

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groce ... /men-razor
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Having watched the video above, I’m gonna try to get hold of the recommended “Feather” double edged blades and a suitable razor.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Tesco were selling "Feather" double edged safety razors in the section selling monk's stuff (robes, matches, candles etc) last time I was there and bought some. The feather blades are really sharp but only last a few shaves if you have stiff bristles. I have a supply of "Astra" blades which are, I believe the Russian genuine Gillette blades. Sharp but not as sharp as feather and last a little longer. Apparently Feather brand also makes surgical scalpels which explains why they are so sharp.
Once you have splashed out on the razor, it is worth is to ensure that the blade is at the correct angle and distance between the protective plates of the razor, it is then down to the zen of shaving. Prepare the skin, shave, after care and all the fun of lathering up and careful stroking. Angle of attack is critical to prevent excessive razor burn or excessive blood loss.
A good shave with a DE (double edged) blade is much better than one using an electric razor. The disposable razors are okay if that is your fancy.
Worth saying that all safety razors are not the same. Check out the YouTube videos and you will see that some offer a more aggressive (high blood letting risk) shave while others are more gentle. For newbies a gentle razor is much better.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Gregjam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:56 pm and all the fun of lathering up and careful stroking.
:shock: my mind has now completely forgotten about shaving ... :naughty:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:57 am Having watched the video above, I’m gonna try to get hold of the recommended “Feather” double edged blades and a suitable razor.
I remember when my wife's son entered the monkhood a few years ago we were asked to supply the razor blades for the head shaving. Feather brand was specified and only Feather would do.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The Feather blades on sale in the UK have “Made in Japan” stamped on them - I wonder whether that applies here?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Shaving in Thailand

Post by thecolonel »

Gentlemen,

What is your go to razor purchase in Thailand?

Razor/blade choices are not as extensive as UK /Europe so I've tried a few here but have yet to settle on a reliable repeatable option. Naturally cost is taken into account at some point

Curious to know the thoughts if any of the regular shavers?

TIA

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Re: Shaving in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

It costs an arm and a leg every time I have to replenish, but my only go-to razor is the Gillette Fusion 5. It leaves my face smooth as a baby's bum, and actually works out cheaper than many alternatives because blades easily last 3 months.

I've tried the alternatives, but always come back to to the Fusion 5. Beware, Shopee has some realistic looking alternatives, but they will strip your face of skin.

In normal times I ask friends to bring them from the UK, because savings are considerable.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Shaving in Thailand

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:It costs an arm and a leg every time I have to replenish, but my only go-to razor is the Gillette Fusion 5. It leaves my face smooth as a baby's bum, and actually works out cheaper than many alternatives because blades easily last 3 months.

I've tried the alternatives, but always come back to to the Fusion 5. Beware, Shopee has some realistic looking alternatives, but they will strip your face of skin.

In normal times I ask friends to bring them from the UK, because savings are considerable.
*I've just seen there was already a Shaving thread ImageAnd a very useful one too! My bad*

That would be my first choice 'money no object' choice too. As you say expensive but very durable and long lasting

I used the Fusion(not 5) for years in UK and brought lots with me over 2+ yrs ago but they've long since run out. And if my son ever comes to visit his suitcase will be full of them!

I've tried cheaper alternatives here and some of them are quite decent, but as you say they last about 5 shaves!

Gillette vector was poor

Gillette?? Blue colour plastic disposable shaves well but for 5/6 shaves only

Might try a Mach 2/3

Where do you buy Fusion 5? Makro? How much incl how many blades?

Thanks

Ps will check out Shavy in Tesco

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk