Dead pigeons

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
electricwarrior

Dead pigeons

Post by electricwarrior »

This week I have disposed of 3 dead pigeons in my garden and just noticed one on the roof of my neighbours house(No Monty Python dead parrot lines please :laugh: ). In the 10 or so years I've lived here I've seen the occasional dead one but not in these numbers. Is it rice growing season and have the fields been laced with pigeon killing poison?

Anyone else seeing the same?
Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Dead pigeons

Post by Dannie Boy »

We live close to rice fields and get plagued by pigeons on the roof of our house when they are harvesting and planting new seed - sorry to say it, but as far as I’m concerned, the only good pigeon is a dead one.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Absolutely agree regarding feral pigeons. "Rats with wings" and like rats they carry some dangerous diseases.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Well this raises one of the strangest mysteries of the planet. There are millions of birds in any particular area, why don't we see many dead ones in the streets every day?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"Of course, in nature, things very often work in tandem. Scavengers and predators, such as rats, cats or foxes, can usually seek out these hideouts for prey. Often, these predators will eat the prey themselves or take them back to feed their young, which is why it's rare to find the remains of dead birds. Due to a bird's light body mass, those that aren't found by predators or scavengers will decompose rapidly. Insects will cover any dead body quickly and the bird would soon decay before it is found."
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I used to shoot them, pigeon breasts very tasty.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

HHTel wrote:"Of course, in nature, things very often work in tandem. Scavengers and predators, such as rats, cats or foxes, can usually seek out these hideouts for prey. Often, these predators will eat the prey themselves or take them back to feed their young, which is why it's rare to find the remains of dead birds. Due to a bird's light body mass, those that aren't found by predators or scavengers will decompose rapidly. Insects will cover any dead body quickly and the bird would soon decay before it is found."
True, but the percentages would suggest you come across some. Image

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I took that quote from the RSPB website. There is much more info on the subject:
Despite the fact that there are numerous flocks of birds, which are often seen while alive, people rarely see pavements littered with the bodies of dead birds. Most birds in the wild only live for a few years, and very few will die from 'natural' causes. They are very unlikely to survive to old age for example.
Birds, like many other creatures, will seek secluded, out-of-the-way places when they're feeling sick - woodpeckers will climb into a hole in a tree, for example. Sick birds will go to ground and because they feel vulnerable they will hide away. Sometimes, rest and seclusion help them to recover, but if they die there, they sometimes won't be found in their hideouts.
https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... birds.aspx
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

This is the way
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Thank HHTel. Great answer.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 pm
DM, a fine example of comedy that would have today's "I'm outraged" mob choking on their muesli :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.