Microsoft Windows 11

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Microsoft Windows 11

Post by HarryVardon »

I installed a legal version of Windows 11 just over a week ago and have been using it regularly since then. Although the differences with Windows 10 are functionally quite minimal I must say that I am liking it. It starts up much, much faster than Windows 10 (in fact, many things seem faster) and I like the new interface, it is just easier to work with. Yesterday the first update was released and that installed very quickly and totally without problems. I am going to stick with the pre-release until the official version comes at the end of the year. As for advice to others I would probably say:
• Don’t upgrade yet unless you have very standard hardware and software (i.e. are only using very common apps and accessories).
• I am not a gamer. I try to remove all gaming software as soon as I get a new computer. I have, thus, no experience of gaming with Windows 11.
• I like to play with new toys, thus the switch to Windows 11. In all honesty for most computer users there is very little difference between Windows 10 and Windows 11. The functionality is almost exactly the same only the user interface has been slightly changed. It looks better, it feels better but there are no real compelling reasons to upgrade before the end of the year and many bugs will be discovered and solved before then.
buksida

Re: Windows 11

Post by buksida »

Good info, yes always a good idea to wait before a major upgrade unless you like tinkering.

I do fear that each iteration of Windoze is more intrusive and controlling than the previous, taking a lot of the options away from the user and managing it all automatically how it sees fit. The Win10 update procedure is one annoyance that always occurs when you want to access the PC quickly and takes forever to complete.

That said, I think I'll be sticking with 10 for some time. Here is a review of Win11 anyway and a few of its new features: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622971 ... -more.html

Bring back Windows XP!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Win10 update procedure is one annoyance that always occurs when you want to access the PC quickly and takes forever to complete.
I always get a warning and an option to schedule a Win10 update. Unless you say 'Do it now' then it'll wait until at or after your scheduled request. In the meantime you can do as many reboots as you like without incurring an update.

Maybe there's a setting somewhere and I've 'ticked' it by accident.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

There is an option to stop updates in the Windows Update settings. You will not get an update for Windows 11 before the end of the year unless you are a Windows Insider.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah - have done that. Its at a state where it works well and I don't want an update screwing that up!

To disable updates permanently on Win10 (which is what I have done):
Search for gpedit.msc and run as Administrator.
Navigate to the following path:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
Double-click the 'Configure Automatic Updates' policy on the right side.
Set it to disabled.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've not disabled updates. I'm quite happy with the warning and myself being in control on when to schedule the update or reject it altogether.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

HarryVardon wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:35 am I installed a legal version of Windows 11 just over a week ago
By legal version you mean developer preview (or insider ring or whatever they are calling this now). Don't confuse people out there thinking a new version has been publicly released.

And yes, it is a nice makeover., but I am keeping it far away from my main driver until months after official release. I hear there is promise of them stripping away even more of the old style settings windows, etc.

This was my profession of 26 years. Microsoft gets a lot of crap about its reluctance to let go of the old, but I think people just need to pause and think that (with the exception of the internet routing & search) that Microsoft windows runs most of the worlds IT infrastructure. Business, Finance, Government, Military, Utilities, Telecommunications, Transport, Automation, Publishing, Entertainment. They created a monster that is extremely difficult to alter.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Unless you have a fairly recent CPU or APU (AMD) you'll have a problem getting around the TPM 2.0 requirement. You may alternatively have a motherboard with TPM capability. Or be running an ARM processor such as Qualcomm Snapdragon series or Apple M1. Or a Raspberry Pi 4 . Otherwise, Windows 10 doesn't EOL until 2025.

But Microsoft might not want another Windows 8 on its hands and could drop the TPM 2 security requirements. Maybe.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

hhinner wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:21 pm Unless you have a fairly recent CPU or APU (AMD) you'll have a problem getting around the TPM 2.0 requirement. You may alternatively have a motherboard with TPM capability. Or be running an ARM processor such as Qualcomm Snapdragon series or Apple M1. Or a Raspberry Pi 4 Image. Otherwise, Windows 10 doesn't EOL until 2025.

But Microsoft might not want another Windows 8 on its hands and could drop the TPM 2 security requirements. Maybe.
They definitely don't want another Win 8 on their hands, God forbid. What they hell was that that thing.

I think the hardware spec issue is being a little blown out of proportion. I think most users will meet it. And let's not forget this requirement is a positive objective. If you don't meet the specs then you can remain with your current old hardware & OS. Yes you may be annoyed by upgrade notices, but that is good practice in my view.

I am amazed at how many Thai computers I come across with unlicensed Windows or Office notifications in the right-hand corner. I think Thias think that is part of the branding 🤣🤣🤣
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

TPM and Secure boot are not the real problems. Most computers from the last 10 years have these but they are not activated. This can be easily changed. The real problem is the CPU. The Windows 11 specification requirements for the CPU can easily be met by 10 year old CPU's but Microsoft have put an age requirement on CPU's in a list they have published (for instance no Intel chips of 7th generation and earlier are allowed). Unless Microsoft changes this rule then no computer older than about 5 years will be able to install Windows 11.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What will will happen if Microsoft owners revolt and refuse to update to Win 11?
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

handdrummer wrote:What will will happen if Microsoft owners revolt and refuse to update to Win 11?
You are eventually excluded from Win10 support & updates. But history has shown they will still push some essential security patches.

Anyhow Win11 is just Win10 with a visual makeover.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thailightzone wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
handdrummer wrote:What will will happen if Microsoft owners revolt and refuse to update to Win 11?
You are eventually excluded from Win10 support & updates. But history has shown they will still push some essential security patches.

Anyhow Win11 is just Win10 with a visual makeover.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Same thing happened with Win 7. If my computer hadn't given up the ghost, I'd still be using Win 7 instead of Win 10. For that matter, I'd still be using Win XP. For all that I do, I could probably still use whatever came before XP.

I do realize that I am the exception, but it is what is. Or as Popeye would say, "I yam what I yam"
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I just watched a video on YouTube where the presenter installed win 11 on a PC without TPM at all and running a 3rd gen Intel core processor 10 years old. It ran fine. His opinion is that MS will eventually see sense.

Never mind the explosion of e-waste if not very old computers are discarded only because of win 11. Manufacturers might love it, but what would happen if there would be component shortages for some reason?
buksida

Post by buksida »

There already are component shortages, hence the local price hikes for hardware.

Just like with XP, there will be a reluctance to leave Win10, and I don't think millions will be rushing into what appears to be a sideways upgrade to Windows 11 - unless M$ forces them into it in a practice which is becoming the norm these days.