Fixing for Stone Chip Protector

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Fixing for Stone Chip Protector

Post by Big Boy »

I went to my car this morning, and noticed I've lost a fixing for the stone chip protector affixed to my bonnet. It is basically a spring clip with a mini bolt. A few very poor photos - protector with fixing missing:
car2.jpg
car2.jpg (156.15 KiB) Viewed 492 times
car3.jpg
car3.jpg (131.31 KiB) Viewed 492 times
A fixing still in place:
Car1.jpg
Car1.jpg (91.05 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Does anybody have any idea where I can buy a replacement clip please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Fixing for Stone Chip Protector

Post by Dannie Boy »

Where did you have it fitted - can’t you go back there and ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was fitted by Ford as an extra. One fell off within days, I went back expecting them to simply put another one on, which they did, but then charged me over ฿2K for a spring clip and screw. I am hoping to avoid Ford this time (although I must say they have improved 10 fold). They will be a last resort.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:It was fitted by Ford as an extra. One fell off within days, I went back expecting them to simply put another one on, which they did, but then charged me over ฿2K for a spring clip and screw. I am hoping to avoid Ford this time (although I must say they have improved 10 fold). They will be a last resort.
Wow - I’m not sure whether I’m more surprised of the cost, or the fact that you paid them that much when it must have been down to their incompetence!! Hopefully somebody will come up with a useful suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I hope so. I was green back in the early days. I didn't realise car maintenance was so cheap here compared to the UK.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In the words of Victor Meldrew, "I don't f**king believe it." :cuss: :cuss:

I went to Ford. No, we don't sell them, and have never sold them. It was an official paid for extra when I bought the car, so that's lie number one. I also remember having to pay around ฿2K when one fixing dropped off. So, that's a double lie.

Having said the above, they were very helpful, and directed me to this place:
https://www.google.com/maps/@12.5826002 ... 384!8i8192

The guy came out, took a look, and there was a sucking of teeth. The translation from Mrs BB was something like, "It's a Ford part, and you can only get them from Ford." Mrs BB explained Ford had sent us to him, and the guy tried every fixing in his little box. He was apologetic, and repeated that only Ford could supply them.

I discussed what we should do with Mrs BB. It seemed the only way forward would be to go back to Ford, so off we went.

I parked in the Ford car park, and Mrs BB told me to stay in the car, she would sort it. She obviously still remembers my epic battles in the early years with Ford. Off she went, and was gone about 10 minutes. When she got back, she said they didn't want to order it because it was very difficult to order, but she'd spoken to the manager, and they had agreed to order it. Then the bit that shocked me, the cost would be 1,820฿ :shock: for a part that I think is worth 20฿ at most.

Unfortunately, this stone chip protector has been the worst extra I could have bought. It has been nothing but trouble, and where the clips attach to the car, the paintwork has become badly scarred. I considered removing the chip protector, but the bonnet would require a re-spray.

The ironic thing is, nobody has chip protectors these days. I looked at every vehicle on the way home, and only saw 2 really old vehicles with them.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've got one on our 6 year old Pajero Sport.:laugh: You're right though that the era of stone and garbage strewn roads are a thing of the past, at least in our areas, and they're now probably not a worthwhile option. I wouldn't be too sure though in the northeast and north.

Back in the 90's I went through two of them on a Toyota pick-up due to impact cracks which without it would have been my windshield and/or hood paint.

Edit: Ever been stuck behind a stone filled dump truck when every time he goes over a bump or dip small stones come flying out and bounce towards you like enemy fire?! :shock: I have, many, many times, and then you were thankful you had a protector.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I had one fitted because back when I bought it, most pick-ups and SUVs seemed to have one. I hadn't noticed that they'd gone out of fashion until today.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You never know what you'll find on FB marketplace so that may be something to try for your area. If not the specific clip, it may show places that have used Ford items that could be explored. The listings are all in Thai though.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The bit has been ordered now. Hopefully, it won't be too long coming.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just looked on the Ford accessories page, and you can buy a complete protector with 5 fixings for 2,700฿, which again shows them up as telling an untruth.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/ranger ... lay-1.html

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been to Ford this afternoon to have my over-priced fixing fitted.

It actually turned out to be a bargain. The price was actually 1,841฿, but it wasn't just for a single fixing, it was for a brand new stone chip protector, with 5 fittings, all fitted for me. The best bit being I get the old protector and the remaining 4 fittings back, so I'm sorted if it should happen again. All for 900฿ less than the advertised price. :D

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There is a God.... :thumb:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:22 pm I've been to Ford this afternoon to have my over-priced fixing fitted.

It actually turned out to be a bargain. The price was actually 1,841฿, but it wasn't just for a single fixing, it was for a brand new stone chip protector, with 5 fittings, all fitted for me. The best bit being I get the old protector and the remaining 4 fittings back, so I'm sorted if it should happen again. All for 900฿ less than the advertised price. :D
All ends well then, pleased for you :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:idea: Maybe they'll let me change the rest of the car for 60% cost :run:

Points 48; Position 20