3D Movies

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

3D Movies

Post by HHTel »

I'm just curious. Does anyone else watch 3D movies, apart from myself?
I've downloaded more than 70 3D movies, some better than others. There are some big box office movies included.
I find that nature documentaries give a completely different perspective when watched in 3D. Movies/vids that have been filmed in IMAX are by far the best.

Quite something to watch a monkey eating a banana just an arm's distance away. Of the main movies, you can always tell when they've been filmed with 3D in mind. Opportunities are taken to have stuff thrown at you.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: 3D Movies

Post by HHTel »

Well, surprisingly, it seems I'm the only one hooked on 3D. YTS has over 300 3D movies.
I'd recommend giving them a go. It's not for everybody I know but I think it puts movies on a new level. My granddaughter will watch Frozen and some of the other animations several times a week. It certainly has her attention and keeps her occupied for a while.
For me, it's the nature documentaries. All the 'Hobbit' movies, Resident Evil series, Jumanji, Mad Max, Fast and Furious, Black Panther, Drive Angry are among my favourites. It's a whole new world.
I'm surprised more people haven't tried them.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:33 pm Quite something to watch a monkey eating a banana just an arm's distance away.
Whatever takes your fancy I guess.... :shock: :wink:

In all seriousness, I've enjoyed the 3D movies, some nature/science from IMAX and the rest action. Mostly mine are on disc that have been brought over from China as I've had problems watching those downloaded from the likes of YTS - I think purely due to the playing format (I have a Samsung Smart TV - +/- 7 years old), hence I've not seen any in a while.

I'll give it a try to download 1 or 2 again, but if all else fails I may just give the big screen a go once again - when all's good of course!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Okay, I'll give it a try. I assume I can't watch it in 3D on my pc? Can I upload it to a memory stick and play it in 3D on my TV?
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:52 am Okay, I'll give it a try. I assume I can't watch it in 3D on my pc? Can I upload it to a memory stick and play it in 3D on my TV?
Yes and no I guess is the answer to that!! :?

I've used a memory stick to watch on the TV, but only a few have worked - simply due to different formats I believe. I must admit, I didn't really look into it in depth at the time, so shall have to investigate a little further...

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They stopped making 3D tv's some time ago due to the cost and that it wasn't a factor when buying a TV.

So now you're stuck with anaglyph (red/cyan glasses). Yes, you can watch on your PC. You can even watch on your phone although it's a little weird watching something jumping out of such a small screen. It is, of course, more effective the bigger the screen. I'm lucky to have an 86" TV. (view from a few feet from the screen and you become part of the movie!!!).
All the 3D movies from YTS are in SBS (side by side) but VLC will convert them quite successfully to anaglyph.

There are many clips on youtube which don't need conversion. There are 3D clips taken in NY of the BLM riots.
To see some amazing effects, search on youtube for 'Anaglyph Extreme'.

P.S. The glasses can be bought for a few baht from Lazada.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Wow... I can't begin to imagine why you're the only one hooked on 3D!! I think I'll pass...:laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter took a stick full of 3D movies back to the UK along with a few pair of glasses. She tells me those that have watched them use the same word as yourself......."WOW'!! :laugh: :laugh:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:35 am My daughter took a stick full of 3D movies back to the UK along with a few pair of glasses. She tells me those that have watched them use the same word as yourself......."WOW'!! :laugh: :laugh:
Fair enough, where is she?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Fleet in Hampshire.

Incidentally, you gave the impression that it comes with a lot of hassle.
1. download the movie
2. view it using VLC. The conversion is in real time and literally takes a few seconds before sitting back and watching.

Of course, a prerequisite is having the glasses.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:07 am They stopped making 3D tv's some time ago due to the cost and that it wasn't a factor when buying a TV.

So now you're stuck with anaglyph (red/cyan glasses). Yes, you can watch on your PC. You can even watch on your phone although it's a little weird watching something jumping out of such a small screen. It is, of course, more effective the bigger the screen. I'm lucky to have an 86" TV. (view from a few feet from the screen and you become part of the movie!!!).
All the 3D movies from YTS are in SBS (side by side) but VLC will convert them quite successfully to anaglyph.
That goes a long way to explaining the problems I've had and the reasons I have not watched "newer" 3D films over the years - much like DM, my Samsung TV is bordering on obsolete (or is it defunct? :wink: :D ). IMHO, 3D movies MUST be played on a larger screen TV or the BIG Screen with decent surround/digital sound. I wouldn't therefore even consider watching on a laptop, let alone a mobile phone.... :shock:

My "DM esque" TV doesn't have/I can't add VLC and I wouldn't consider in investing in an updated model purely for the ability to play "3D SBS"......
HHTel wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:55 am
Incidentally, you gave the impression that it comes with a lot of hassle.
1. download the movie
2. view it using VLC. The conversion is in real time and literally takes a few seconds before sitting back and watching.

Of course, a prerequisite is having the glasses.
No problem with 1. or purchasing the glasses - cheap enough.
As for 2. See above - cannot put VLC on my existing TV & would not entertain watching 3D on my laptop/mobile. I "may" have a look at running through my laptop and connecting to the TV through HDMI (for which cables etc. are available).

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I doubt there's any TV which allows you to put VLC etc on. I have my laptop connected via HDMI so my TV screen is turned into a big computer screen.
To be honest, although I have a 'smart' TV, I've no idea just how smart that is as for years I've always used my TV as a monitor.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I doubt there's any TV which allows you to put VLC etc on. I have my laptop connected via HDMI so my TV screen is turned into a big computer screen.
To be honest, although I have a 'smart' TV, I've no idea just how smart that is as for years I've always used my TV as a monitor.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Laptop via HDMI cable it is then :thumb:

I'll take a look on YTS and give it a go!

[EDIT] My TV is obviously too old, but it seems that you can install VLC on newer models (powered by Android): -

https://howtodoninja.com/how-to/vlc/ins ... ndroid-tv/
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's interesting but I wonder if you get the full 'Tools Menu' on the TV version.

For VLC to play in anaglyph:
1. Load your movie (You'll notice that it comes up as two images -side by side)
2. Click Tools > Effects and Filters > Video Effects > Advanced > Anaglyph (check box) > Close
3. You'll notice the two images have come together. Put on your glasses and watch the movie.

I tend to change the aspect to 16:9 if it isn't already. It'll stretch the movie if necessary. Just the way I like it. Personal preference really.

Once you have the glasses, have a look at some of the clips on youtube. They don't need converting. Here's an example. This guy has posted dozens. He likes to show off the capabilities of his cam.