Forum coverage of Covid-19 information

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

What do you think about the way Hua Hin Forum communicates Covid-19 information?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 am

The quantity and detail is fine and is useful to see on a daily basis.
56%
It's all too much and should be limited or condensed more than it is.
44%
It's not enough and feel that there is more that should be posted to help us through this pandemic.
No votes

Total votes: 27

PeteC

Forum coverage of Covid-19 information

Post by PeteC »

Our Covid-19 posts have increased considerably in quantity since the pandemic started, and we find that by the nature of the various sources of information there is some duplication, and perhaps readers are beginning to feel inundated with what is being presented on a daily basis.

Above is a simple poll to give us an idea of what readers think, and if people want less, want more, or are happy with the way it is now. Depending upon the results we'll try the best we can to tailor the daily Covid information that is presented to match what the majority wants.

We urge all registered members to participate in the poll, as only with a significant turnout will we be able to get a true picture. We also urge you to use this thread to voice your suggestions concerning the issue, especially if your ideas are more detailed than what the poll allows for. The poll will run until the beginning of July 2021. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Forum coverage of Covid-19 information

Post by migrant »

i voted fine and useful only because it doesn't bother me. That said it does seem over excessive but easy for me to skip over.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I should note that "Re-Vote" is turned on for this poll. This means that you can change your vote if you wish, which will automatically cancel your previous vote.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I voted that it’s a bit too much, in terms of duplicated information resulting in me “switching off” and then I might miss something important. A simple daily summary of key data is all that I need - is the trend up, down or stable - is their a big new event needing watching, etc. It sometimes feels like a race on who can get the information out first - I’d much rather have quality than quantity.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I tend to agree with Dannie, which is why, when joelle (I'm not trying to single out joelle, as she is doing a good job) started posting her news, I realised it was coming from the same data set as my spreadsheet. I stopped posting it within a couple of days, but had to reinstate it due to popular demand. I am the first to admit I am duplicating information.

Likewise, we get the daily Thailand stats in various formats about 4 or 5 times each day. I'm happy to stop my version via the Daily Brief (although it often contains other important information). Again, it was requested that somebody post the brief. I am happy to stop.

2 days ago I posted a very important link, and deliberately left out some essential information. Yes, I was fishing for a response to initiate discussion. I didn't even get a nibble, so you are probably 90% ignorant of some essential vaccine information if you live in PKK. Yes I'm also suffering Covid overload, so just left it. So yes, vital information is being missed because we have information overload.

Maybe rather than just give a black or white answer, it would be useful for feedback regarding what people would like to see. We can then agree how that can best be delivered.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 am I voted that it’s a bit too much, in terms of duplicated information resulting in me “switching off” and then I might miss something important. A simple daily summary of key data is all that I need - is the trend up, down or stable - is their a big new event needing watching, etc. It sometimes feels like a race on who can get the information out first - I’d much rather have quality than quantity.
I'd agree with that assessment. It does feel like a race at times and often the same info (such as the daily figures) gets posted 3-4 times in different formats. Its given me a big "Coverdose" as well and I too often just switch off.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Way too much detail. Everybody must just ignore. All i would want is daily death and infections for thailand and pkk. Also vaccine numbers when gets going. Just my opinion as ever. Thanks
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

I find all the info useful.. Big Boy table provides the bare bones info and historical trends.

Joelle provides a drill down as to where the numbers have come from. Knowing that nearly all the cases have come from poultry or pineapple factories is good to know. If we had 45 new cases and none were from those places I would be a lot more concerned.
The occasional timeline publication is also instructive to see if the person is always in HH or been traveling around a lot (i.e. the Italian last week).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:55 am I tend to agree with Dannie, which is why, when joelle (I'm not trying to single out joelle, as she is doing a good job) started posting her news, I realised it was coming from the same data set as my spreadsheet. I stopped posting it within a couple of days, but had to reinstate it due to popular demand. I am the first to admit I am duplicating information.

Likewise, we get the daily Thailand stats in various formats about 4 or 5 times each day. I'm happy to stop my version via the Daily Brief (although it often contains other important information). Again, it was requested that somebody post the brief. I am happy to stop.

2 days ago I posted a very important link, and deliberately left out some essential information. Yes, I was fishing for a response to initiate discussion. I didn't even get a nibble, so you are probably 90% ignorant of some essential vaccine information if you live in PKK. Yes I'm also suffering Covid overload, so just left it. So yes, vital information is being missed because we have information overload.

Maybe rather than just give a black or white answer, it would be useful for feedback regarding what people would like to see. We can then agree how that can best be delivered.
Picking up on your last point BB, earlier you posted what looked like quite worrying figures for Hua Hin, but then Joelle broke that down to show the vast majority of new cases were split between the canning factory and the poultry processing plant - still high figures not to be dismissed, but not the same as though had they been in the main market.

I prefer to see the facts wherever possible, avoiding speculation or sensationalism
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

If people think there's too much information I don't mind stopping posting as I know where to find what I need to know
I just share because some people mentioned they have no access to Facebook
But if it's too much fine by me
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, exactly. My figures come from the same data set as joelle, but mine are published earlier. OK, joelle might post before me sometimes, but I post when I get back from my lake walk. It isn't a race. joelle's information does have more detail, which is why I stopped posting (I hate duplicating). I suggested posting my spreadsheet periodically, but some felt it was required daily. We can't please all of the people all of the time, hence Pete's poll.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:35 pm We can't please all of the people all of the time
Fully agree
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

joelle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 pm If people think there's too much information I don't mind stopping posting as I know where to find what I need to know
Thanks Joelle. Please don't change any procedures or your kind help just yet. Let's wait some time to see what washes out of the poll and the suggestions given. :cheers:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:38 pm
joelle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 pm If people think there's too much information I don't mind stopping posting as I know where to find what I need to know
Thanks Joelle. Please don't change any procedures or your kind help just yet. Let's wait some time to see what washes out of the poll and the suggestions given. :cheers:
Ok fair enough :cheers:
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

Better too much than too little.
So I am grateful for those who have taken the time and effort to post information.
I have posted previously that I like especially both Joelles and Big Boys posts. Even if the data is from the same source Joelle has some very useful details that are not in BB's tables as Dannie Boy pointed out earlier. BBs table are good for giving an overview of daily figures for several weeks. Very useful.
Thanks to all who post.
(Edited for typo)