Cholesterol reduction tips

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Cholesterol reduction tips

Post by buksida »

Just had my blood checkup results back from the lab in Hua Hin. Have been a bit lax and skipped a couple of years as I used to do it annually.

Everything is within 'normal' levels aside from cholesterol which is off the chart (both the total and the LDL figure).

Does anyone else have high cholesterol (it must be a common issue) and what have you done to bring it down?

Yes, I have Googled it and read the same thing on nearly every ad-filled medical blog, but would like to hear from those that have actually tried stuff (not meds) that worked for them so I can have a go myself.

I work out 3 times a week, don't eat junk food, and take vitamin and omega 3 supplements but clearly, it is not enough. Oh the joys of aging.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Cholesterol reduction tips

Post by migrant »

In the states my levels were high enough that they wanted to medicate me which I refused. Here in Thailand my levels are better, within normal range. The only real changes I can identify is less red meat and being more careful with fat. A doctor explained that pork doesn't have the marbling of fat that beef has so if cut away pork is a "good" meat.

My diet here probably also is higher in fruits and veggies, but not noticeable. Stress levels since I retired are also way down.

My exercise is probably the same, a month or two of regular exercise then a lazy month or two.

So for me I can only say a few minor changes made a big difference. \
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As you have already mentioned, the internet is full of “good ideas” on how to control your cholesterol, but the common themes nearly always include - watch your weight, reduce saturated fat intake, take regular exercise, reduce alcohol intake and smoking. Hopefully that won’t take away all of life’s pleasures!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Interesting. I eat very little red meat as it is so that won't be a problem. Didn't realize stress was a factor, as confirmed by the medical blogs. My diet isn't that bad so I was surprised that the figures were so high.

Weightwise, my BMI has marginally increased to just over 25 at a weight of 82kg (lockdown induced) so that shouldn't be difficult to get down - it is very close to 'normal' parameters anyway.

A few diet tweaks appear to be the way forward then as I do not want to get on meds this early in life. And cutting down on the beer is essential it seems - also no biggie since Thai beer is shite anyway and we can't get the good stuff out in the sticks.

An interesting stat I read on one of these med blogs is that over 50% of people with cardiovascular problems have normal cholesterol levels so maybe it isn't such a big deal after all.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

There has been news that I read where some doctors have said that cholesterol levels are way overrated. Best still to try and keep low I think.

When the doctor in the US told me the levels were too high I finished the appointment and was checking out at the front desk. The lady gave me a preprinted list of items that contained high cholesterol and should be avoided. I looked over the list and said "No problem". She asked, "Can you keep away from these items?" I said "Sure, scotch isn't listed". The waiting room was full and all got a good laugh.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

migrant wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:15 pm I said "Sure, scotch isn't listed". The waiting room was full and all got a good laugh.
:lach: I knew there was a silver lining ...
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's been documented studies, the most recent I've seen in a video on the BBC last year, that diluted apple cider vinegar has cut bad cholesterol by an average of 33% in the participants over a month. I think it was taken daily on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, but it could have been more than once a day, I forget. I think you'll find a lot to read about it with a search.

By diluted I mean about 1/2 inch mixed with a full glass of water. Drink slowly taking a break for a second or two every 3-4 swallows. I take it occasionally and it's not too bad. I use organic, which is available in the stores, simply that it tastes better than the processed kind such as Heinz.

If your system can't handle it you'll know an hour or so later, stay close to home in the beginning! :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I've just had a quick look at apple cider vinegar on line, and I'm convinced! A lot more benefits than simply cholesterol. And I like the idea of adding it to salad dressing or fruit juice. 1-2 tablespoons a day seems to be the recommended dose.

It also acts as a laxative, apparently, so be warned...
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:27 pm Well, I've just had a quick look at apple cider vinegar on line, and I'm convinced! A lot more benefits than simply cholesterol. And I like the idea of adding it to salad dressing or fruit juice. 1-2 tablespoons a day seems to be the recommended dose.
Seem to be a lot of benefits - the LHG uses it daily for all sorts. I have a little added to drinks (non-alcoholic :roll: ) and various foods - I wouldn't say daily, but 3-4 times a week and have seen the benefits.
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:27 pm It also acts as a laxative, apparently, so be warned...
I've not travelled or worked on a jobsite in quite some time, but I assure you I wouldn't risk it if I didn't know the location of porcelain... Close by.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I always heard it was good for you also. I came across this the other day. I'm sure results are different for some

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88naqp/ ... efits-test
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

After I wrote the above post I went back to Google for another look. Besides the general interest articles if "it works or doesn't work"...for various things, there are some legitimate test results from medical people/labs. It confirms that it does reduce LDL in blood serum.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:57 pm After I wrote the above post I went back to Google for another look. Besides the general interest articles if "it works or doesn't work"...for various things, there are some legitimate test results from medical people/labs. It confirms that it does reduce LDL in blood serum.
I looked at this a while ago - after the usual prodding, pushing, smacking from the LHG. Several have been tried, and well..... It's not BS IMHO.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:26 pm
PeteC wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:57 pm After I wrote the above post I went back to Google for another look. Besides the general interest articles if "it works or doesn't work"...for various things, there are some legitimate test results from medical people/labs. It confirms that it does reduce LDL in blood serum.
I looked at this a while ago - after the usual prodding, pushing, smacking from the LHG. Several have been tried, and well..... It's not BS IMHO.

[EDIT] Would have helped if I included the link.... :oops:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ap ... ITLE_HDR_3

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I think that as complex as our bodies are the results of most any type of supplement, or even medicine, vary by individual.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

For a comprehensive look at the benefits of ACV and how to use it, purchase the booklet, Apple Cider Vinegar by Bragg.

If you're going to use ACV be sure to buy the one with the "mother" in it. That's the cloudy stringy stuff you see in the bottom. Those are enzymes and without them all you have is vinegar that's fit for washing countertops and disinfecting surfaces.

The quickest way to lower cholesterol is to take Red Yeast Rice capsules, available from iherb.
My wife took them for a month and lowered her cholesterol by 30 points.
They've worked for everyone to whom I've recommended them.

I prefer Nature's Plus and Solaray. Nature's Plus because they use 3rd. party labs to test and certify their products and Solaray because they do in house, gas chromatography to test all their ingredients.