UPS

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

UPS

Post by Terry »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry wrote:

Surge protection devices are not always worth it. It is far better to have a decent grounded electrical supply to the residence - not always pssible ofcourse if you are renting or in some condos.

Surge protection is just as it says and is only partially effective at best. Grounding, although advisab;e for any applicance will make no difference to you PC or TV whatsoever. The mains power connects diretly to a power supply unit that converts the 150-220 Volt supply to the 3, 6 and 9 volts needed for the internals of the PC/TV.

What you really need here in Thailand is a UPS. This is in effect a battery that is constantly charged while plugged into the mains. The surges and voltage fluctiation is of no relevance and the AC supply is first convereted to DC to charge the battery and then the battery feeds a signal generator that poduce a clean 220/240 Volt 50/60 MHZ depending upon its settings. You then have the added benefit of knowing that you have enought ime to power off the PC sleanly in the event of a long powercut and short power cuts will have no effect whatsoever.

This really should alll be on the Digital Realm forum.

Guess

You are of course correct - however trying to get a decent UPS for domestic use here in Thailand is not always easy.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

UPS PowerChamp SC-600VA / 360W.
Price 2100Bt
You'll find them in many computer shops in Hua Hin.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Norseman

Thanks for that

Every time I've enquired - no have one !

I'll try again

Cheers
T
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Try one of those small computer shops along Phetkasem road.
I bought mine in a shop close to Thai Farmers Bank, between Soi 68 and 70 I think. Not 100% sure if the address is correct, but it should be somewhere in that area.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Therre is a new computer shop in Nebkerhardt Road just North of the Dechanuchit crossroads. The have a 800va box for less than 2000 Baht. I was looking at it last week.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

I bought an 800va one in Bangkok for about 1800 baht.

Remember though that the thing is practically useless unless you're grounded properly.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

I'm a mere Mechanical Engineer - but having a good grounding (earthing) system was the point I was also trying to make earlier.

Anyway folks - thanks for the help