Chumphon to Ko Samet (not the Ranong one)

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Chumphon to Ko Samet (not the Ranong one)

Post by theprice01 »

Hi Folks,

We were wanting to have a few days down on Ko Samui but don't we think internal will be running going into next month.

I think Ko Samet would be a good compromise, I looked on google but nothing came up for a ferry between Chumphon and the island.

Is it advisable to book in advance? Any recommendations for places to stay under 3k a night?

Thanks
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Chumphon to Ko Samet (not the Ranong one)

Post by HHTel »

I've been to Ko Samet many times and I think the only ferries are from Ban Phe.

Lovely island but if you wanted to get around you would need to rent a bike. Cars are not allowed although there are 'shuttles' from the pier up the hill.
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is no ferry from Chumphon to Samet - only one to Koh Tao.

Getting to Samet is a long drive via Bangkok.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thanks for the info. We're also open to anywhere quiet and on a beach that's 3-5 hours drive of Hua-Hin
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think your only practical choice is to go south. I wouldn't be surprised if Koh Samet is closed shortly as it's mainly a national park and soon I think we're going to see a lot more restrictions and closings. The normal eastern hotspots of Bang Saray, Pattaya, Jomtien, Bang Saen etc., are busy now, but will be empty once again when Songkran is over, and none of those places are bad when no crowds are around. Can be quite peaceful and quiet during these Covid times.

However, there are so many quiet and secluded beaches south of Hua Hin that's your best bet IMO. I can't give you specifics about any location though. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

If you are looking for quiet then Bang Saphan Yai would be good. Never very crowded. Only a couple bars and restaurants, but they are good.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

On our way up from Phuket in 2019 we stopped at Thung Wua Laen beach one night
its just north of Chumphon
really nice area along there and very quiet
apart from Nana Beach Resort..
there are many beaches for miles and miles heading north, almost deserted
on the way back we stopped just south of Bang Saphan at Suan Luang beach
lovely windswept coastline, again almost deserted
heaps of really nice restos as well
Enjoyed both areas very much
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just be aware that with the latest lockdown, many of the places in Bangsaphan (Suan Luang) are now closed or not serving alcohol, though most resorts are still empty.

And Tung Wua Laen will be packed out this week for Songkran - we were going to ride down there but decided to wait until the hordes have dispersed.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson