Songkran 2021 Road Accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Songkran 2021 Road Accidents

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not disputing what you have said BB but I’ve also witnessed pickups cutting up motorcycles too - whoever is to blame, the end result is that the motorcyclist comes off worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, of course some pick-ups are to blame. Most have never learnt to drive properly, but sheer ratio of motorcycles to pick-ups has to lean towards more motorcycles being at fault.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Being a biker, I'll take Dannie's argument - they get absolutely no respect whatsoever from bigger vehicles and always come off worse.

Would be interesting to get stats on the breakdown of accidents caused by the smaller bikes themselves dawdling into the traffic - or the speeding car/van/pickup drivers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I found this doing a quick search

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/mo ... of-traffic

It claims that80% of accidents are caused by motorists
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That surprises me greatly, but I guess when you drive properly, you aren't going to encounter such incidents, although with such a high % I'd have thought I'd have seen more.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm I'd have thought I'd have seen more.
I've seen more than enough for several lifetimes.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Having said what I have, I’ve also witnessed a lot of what look like under 20 year old Thai youngsters driving their little Hondas flat out and scaring the pants off me (often with no helmet)- definitely accidents waiting to happen.

GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm Yes, but possibly motorbikes that have been rammed off the road by a pickup!!

Possibly but it looks as if that would be a very small minority of cases given that (at least on the only day that it's mentioned) only 3.92% of the accidents involved cars.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:49 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm Yes, but possibly motorbikes that have been rammed off the road by a pickup!!

Possibly but it looks as if that would be a very small minority of cases given that (at least on the only day that it's mentioned) only 3.92% of the accidents involved cars.
I have no idea how reliable the statistics are, but in the other article I posted, it mentions that about 80% of accidents involving motor cyclists are caused by motor vehicles, so it could be that the real figure is somewhere in between. One things for certain, there are too many accidents!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Fourth day road toll: 29 dead, 392 injured

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 92-injured

Twenty-nine people were killed and 392 injured in 376 traffic accidents on Tuesday, the fourth day of the Songkran road safety campaign, interior deputy permanent secretary Ansit Sampantharat said on Wednesday.

Mr Ansit, chairman of the centre for the prevention and reduction of road accidents, said the figures raised the total number of accidents during the four days (April 10-13) to 1,465, with 152 deaths and 1,494 injuries.

The death toll, 29, was substantially down on Monday's 54 killed on the roads.

On Tuesday, speeding was blamed for 36% of accidents, followed by drink-driving, 28%.

Nearly one-third of the accidents, 32%, happened between 4pm-8pm.

Nakhon Si Thammarat in the South recorded the most accidents,16, and most injuries, 17.

The provinces with most deaths were Bangkok and Kalasin, with three each.

There were 1,913 main checkpoints manned by 59,420 officials operating across the country. A total of 350,920 vehicles were stopped for a check and 70,130 drivers were charged with various offences - including 18,950 for driving without a licence and 17,530 motorcyclists not wearing a crash helmet.

The province with the highest number of accumulated accidents was Nakhon Si Thammarat, with 65, which also recorded the most accumulated injuries, 69.

Khon Kaen in the Northeast reported the highest death toll, eight.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

You've gotta wonder why people in Nakhon Si Thammarat drive so badly - it topped the list last year as well I think.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

37 killed in road accidents

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -accidents

Thirty-seven people died in road accidents during the Songkran holiday on Wednesday, bringing the accumulative deaths over the past five days to 192.

On Wednesday, 330 road accidents occurred in all but six provinces, injuring 328 people and killing 37, some of whom died in hospitals.

Since the country was in lockdown during the Songkran holiday last year, the Road Safety Director Centre, which keeps track of the numbers, used the 2019 data for comparison purposes this year. Based on these figures, the numbers of accidents, deaths and injuries dropped across the board. (see chart).

Of 1,795 accidents over the past five days, Nakhon Si Thamarat accounted for 76, followed by Chiang Mai (63), Songkhla (49) and Surat Thani (49).

In terms of deaths, Bangkok, Khon Kaen and Pathum Thai led with eight each, followed by Chon Buri (7), Chiang Mai (7) and Sakhon Nakhon (6).

Drinking was the main cause of the accidents over the past five days, accounting for 39.6% of all accidents, followed by speeding (27%).

Like in past years, motorcycles continued to be the type of vehicles most involved in the accidents during the festival, at 79.3%, followed by pickup trucks (6.6%) and passenger cars (3.6%).

Over the past five days, most accidents occurred on highways (65.7%) and from 4pm to 8pm (30.3%). Most of the people who were injured or killed in road accidents were those aged 50 or more (23.5%).

3948055.png
3948055.png (181.77 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Day 6: 29 deaths, 313 injuries

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 3-injuries

Twenty-nine people died and 310 injured in 313 road accidents on Thursday, the sixth day of the seven-day Songkran road safety campaign.

When compared to the data in 2019, when the information was last kept, the numbers dropped in all three categories (see chart). Travel was banned during the Covid-19 lockdown during the Songkran holiday in 2020.

The provinces that saw the most road fatalities on Thursday were Kanchanaburi, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Rayong and Nong Khai, reporting two each.

Over the past six days, the death toll from road accidents stood at 238, led by Chiang Mai (9) and followed by Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri, Nakhon Ratchasima and Pathum Thani, with eight each.

The eight provinces that saw no deaths were Kamphaeng Phet, Chumphon, Phangnga, Mae Hong Son, Lampang, Sa Kaeo, Sing Buri and Ubon Ratchathani.

During the period, the main causes of most accidents were drink-driving, accounting for 38.2% of all accidents, speeding (27.4%), cutting off others (17%) and poor visibility (13.5%).

Motorcycles were involved in the most accidents (79.3%), followed by pickup trucks (6.9%).

The time of day when the most accidents occurred was 4pm to 8pm (29.7%), followed by 12pm to 4pm (20.9%).

Two million vehicles were stopped for checking by authorities over the past six days and 394,000 drivers were charged, mainly with not having driver's licences, failing to wear helmets and speeding, respectively.

3949211.png
3949211.png (187.1 KiB) Viewed 221 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Songkran road death toll at 277

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... oll-at-277 (Photo and graph at link)

That's a wrap folks, see you at New Year. :cheers:

A total of 277 people were killed and 2,357 injured in more than 2,300 road accidents during the Songkran holiday this year, according to official data.

The figures for both accidents and deaths were down nearly 30% from the levels seen in 2019, reflecting reduced travel this year because of concerns about the new wave of Covid-19 infections. There was no Songkran travel last year because the country was in a lockdown.

On Friday, the last day of the seven-day road safety campaign when traffic laws were strictly enforced, 26 people died and 255 were injured in 253 accidents. (see chart)

Ubon Ratchathani saw the most fatalities (3), followed by Chanthaburi (2) and Phetchabun (2).

Over the seven days, Nakhon Si Thammarat saw the most accidents (106), followed by Chiang Mai (77) and Songkhla (69).

Pathum Thani reported the highest number of fatalities at 10, followed by Bangkok (9) and Chiang Mai (9).

Drink-driving caused 36.6% of all accidents, followed by speeding (28.3%) and cutting off others (17.8%).

Motorcycles were involved in 79.2% of the accidents, followed by pickup trucks (6.9%).

The types of roads where most of the accidents occurred were highways (39.5%), followed by tambon or village roads (36%).

The largest proportion of accidents took place between 4pm and 8pm (29%) and from 12 noon to 4pm (21.1%).

The largest proportion of victims were those aged 15-19 (15.3%), followed by those aged 30-39 (14.4%).

Authorities stopped 2.4 million vehicles during the period, mainly motorcycles (2.3 million).

Almost half a million motorists, or 459,644, faced charges ranging from failing to wear helmets, not having driver’s licences and failing to fasten seat belts.

3949759.png
3949759.png (194.85 KiB) Viewed 162 times