What would you do?? Over charging farangs

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
migrant
Addict
Addict

What would you do?? Over charging farangs

Post by migrant »

My last haircut I tried a new barber. He was close to the house and priced with the lowest in the area. He did a very good job, but my haircuts are easy.

But

At the end he charged me 20 baht more than Thais, in fact after I noticed a sign saying falangs 120, Thais 100 baht. For the Thai fellow ahead of me he did the neck rub, cold washcloth, extra trimming, I got none of that.

I told Mrs m I'm not returning. 20 baht, even over many years here, is not concerning to me, nor the extras he doesn't give to falangs. It's the principal. I would rather drive farther and even pay a little more for a barber that treats all evenly.

I'm curious what some others would do? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Re: What would you do??

Post by PeteC »

I wouldn't return either, there's too many other choices.

One choice is to do it yourself with the gear you can buy on Amazon. It seems most of world's men, at least in the West, are giving themselves "Covid Cuts" over this past year. I have been doing it, but be prepared to go short as that's the way it usually turns out.

It's kind of like trying to square a board starting with a 12" x 12" and when finished and happy with the result, it's 2" x 2"! :shock: :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

For 120 baht, if i got what I wanted and it cost me 20 baht more than someone else, I really wouldn't care. It's not my job to change the attitude of Thais and certainly not for 20 baht. I understand your principals but as a friend told me decades ago; "Lower your standards and enjoy your life more." If we were talking about hundreds of baht, I'd go to someone else, of course that wouldn't be about principals.

I had a nice experience last week. I went to a dermatologist and he charged me the same as he charges Thais; 150 baht. Also, he's the first doctor that I've ever had , anywhere, who knew what he was doing and cleared up the problem in 1 week. He's also one of the kindest, most compassionate people I've ever met. There's hope in Thailand.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m going to sit on the fence on this - personally I wouldn’t get too excited over 20 Baht, even though the principle is annoying, although I believe that a lot of barbers follow the same practice and apply a small surcharge to farangs - the barbers I use charges 80 for Thais and 100 for farangs but it’s a reasonable service so I pay the amount.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Next time, walk through the door doing 'lakhon' dance and see if he still charges you the extra 20.

IMG_20210402_103118.jpg
IMG_20210402_103118.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I most certainly wouldn't go again. I strongly oppose dual pricing and it is no more than discrimination. By charging you more, and only giving you a partial service, he is telling you that he doesn't want you there.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've also found that women barbers/hair stylists here take their time and seem more conscientious and focused on details. You should get your wet towel and neck rub without any difficulty from most.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

He is treating you like crap and charging you extra for it. I've seen the same and it was an easy decision for me.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:39 pm I most certainly wouldn't go again. I strongly oppose dual pricing and it is no more than discrimination. By charging you more, and only giving you a partial service, he is telling you that he doesn't want you there.
This. Whether it’s 20 baht more, or 25 satang more, it’s the principle of it. He clearly doesn’t want farang customers, for whatever reason. Lots of options in town.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Personally I would not be able to relax and get my hair cut if I thought somebody doing it was ripping me off. Go somewhere else and enjoy the experience rather than steaming about the guy in the mirror.

For whatever reason and whatever service if you are not happy move on to somewhere alse.

Incidentally my gf does haircuts for farangs and never does the massage thing either.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm For 120 baht, if i got what I wanted and it cost me 20 baht more than someone else, I really wouldn't care. It's not my job to change the attitude of Thais and certainly not for 20 baht. I understand your principals but as a friend told me decades ago; "Lower your standards and enjoy your life more." If we were talking about hundreds of baht, I'd go to someone else, of course that wouldn't be about principals.

I had a nice experience last week. I went to a dermatologist and he charged me the same as he charges Thais; 150 baht. Also, he's the first doctor that I've ever had , anywhere, who knew what he was doing and cleared up the problem in 1 week. He's also one of the kindest, most compassionate people I've ever met. There's hope in Thailand.
who? where? i want to go...seriously .....thanks
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

i pay 100 baht for haircut but i tip 50 more
one delightful older lady in Selakam who takes extra time/care....bit too long in truth
one lady just behind Baan Khun Por who is miserable but gets the job done swiftly
what's left of my hair is dead easy to do and as Pete C says i really should do it myself
i keep meaning to go on Lazada and find some decent kit, so if anyone has any recommendations pls shout up

but in answer to the OP, based on how that was all presented to him i would go elsewhere if it upset me in anyway

life's too short

ps imagine a Thai being charged 20%- 40% extra in the UK because theyre not Brits, to see Buckingham Plalce or eat in restaurants etc. I genuinely wonder how they would feel?
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

20 baht extra on a hair cut, but the Thai who paid 100 got a neck rub etc. That would really annoy me and would never go there again.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm For 120 baht, if i got what I wanted and it cost me 20 baht more than someone else, I really wouldn't care. It's not my job to change the attitude of Thais and certainly not for 20 baht. I understand your principals but as a friend told me decades ago; "Lower your standards and enjoy your life more." If we were talking about hundreds of baht, I'd go to someone else, of course that wouldn't be about principals.

who? where? i want to go...seriously .....thanks
The clinic is on Phetkhasem Rd., just a few steps between Sois 66 & 64/1. In the same block there's a Stationer, an open restaurant and next to the clinic is an animal clinic. The phone number is 092 814 6238. The Drs. name is, Chaiyasit. In case you need it, he's also a Pediatrician. :shock:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:47 pm ...next to the clinic is an animal clinic. The phone number is 092 814 6238. The Drs. name is, Chaiyasit. In case you need it, he's also a Pediatrician. :shock:
... and a vet... :wink: :laugh:
This is the way