Cataract Operation at Hua Hin Hospital

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Cataract Operation at Hua Hin Hospital

Post by Big Boy »

PART 1

Yesterday, I had a cataract operation at Hua Hin Hospital yesterday. It has been suggested as we are mostly an ageing population in Hua Hin, it might be useful if I write a report to aid those who will need the op in the future. There is a lot to say, so I’ve split it into 5 parts.

Background

When I moved to Thailand, I had to find a decent medical facility to continue the work of the NHS in the UK. My main problem was diabetes. I tried several hospitals/clinics and finally settled on Hua Hin Hospital for my diabetes care. However, it probably took about 3 years to make that decision. I’ll be honest, Hua Hin Hospital was about the last place I tried because of reviews I’d read. Basically, I was a hospital snob. Since moving to Hua Hin Hospital, I have realised what an excellent facility it is, and it is improving all of the time. In the meantime I needed to get my eyes checked annually for diabetes – I chose a well recommended eye doctor who had his own clinic. However, instead of Annual check-ups, his check-up frequency often varied and sometimes it was monthly – muggins here was paying for his Annual check-up, several times each year. I had always enjoyed 20/20 vision, but since moving to Thailand that vision deteriorated sharply. The doc kept saying I’d need a cataract operation, but wasn’t bad enough yet.

Then Covid arrived, we were sort of locked down, and medical appointments were cancelled. When we thought it was safe to get back into the water, I re-booked at Hua Hin Hospital for my diabetes check-up. During my appointments, I always get asked if I’ve had my eyes checked. I told them not since Covid, and they suggested I use the hospital eye clinic. The girls on the Express Clinic desk said I could have a regular appointment, or if I could make a Monday morning, I could have an Express Clinic appointment. I like the Express Clinic treatment, so a Monday morning it was.

To be continued..................
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Re: Cataract Operation at Hua Hin Hospital

Post by Big Boy »

PART 2

The First Appointment

I was told to report to the Express Clinic for 9am. I always turn up early to be sure of a parking space. Driving myself was my first mistake (more later). I did the usual blood pressure and weigh in, and was then told to sit and wait. I was expecting the eye doctor to come to me. A few minutes I was called to the desk, handed a pack and told to go to the eye clinic on the 3rd floor, Purple Building. Down I go, and I’m horrified at the number of people queuing. As I walked to the reception counter, I received a tap on my shoulder. It was my daughter. I didn’t know, but she was there to pick up a letter for my granddaughter to take to a Bangkok Hospital. Phew, I had a little helper to help me through the madhouse.

Actually, it was quite smooth. I handed my pack in, and went to the front of every queue. First it was read the numbers, then an eye pressure test, and then THE DROPS IN THE EYE. Oo-er, I know those drops – you shouldn’t drive for about 4 hours afterwards!

Then it was in to see the doc. He confirmed I had cataracts, and the right eye was particularly bad. He then took me by surprise and asked if I’d like an op, I said yes please. He gave me date of 19 Jan for my op, with the pre-op a couple of days before. The big bummer was he said my sugar levels had to be perfect. They are usually pretty good, but this was just after Christmas. Christmas had to be cancelled.

He told me to go to the window and the nurse would call me to make the appointment. This was where the Express fell out of Express Clinic. After an hour, I went to another window to ask what was happening. It turned out the nurse couldn’t speak English, so couldn’t call me. I got around this problem by phoning my wife, handed the phone to the nurse, and she booked me in over the phone. The one thing that baffled me was I would have to be an inpatient from the day before.

I was given an appointment for my pre-op, and then sent back to the Express Clinic where I paid my bill – 1800฿. I went home and broke the news to the family, Christmas was cancelled. Bah Humbug :D

The drive home was a bit interesting. I was seeing objects as opposed to cars on the road, and had to drive very carefully. I’d gone back to the car park, and in the shade it was OK. However, as soon as I hit the sunlight………………… I was grateful to get home safely.

Unfortunately, the 2nd wave hit like a Tsunami, and they were asking people to cancel routine ops/appointments. I did as I was asked.

To be continued..................

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PART 3

The Second Appointment

It became clear that the 2nd wave in Prachuap Khiri Khan was more of a ripple than a Tsunami. I went up to the Eye dept. appointments window, explained what had happened, and tried to re-book my pre-op. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way, you’re at the back of the list now, and have to start again. I tried explaining that they’d asked us to cancel, but resistance was futile. They issued me a regular (Thai) appointment.

In the meantime my eyesight had deteriorated badly. Some days I had to turn my computer screen up to 400%, and was still struggling to read. I had to step back from moderating on the forum because I just couldn’t see well enough.

It was a freezing cold Friday morning that I had my next appointment. I turned up early, but the only seats were outside. The wind was cutting through me like a knife. This time I’d taken my son with me to drive home. Sods Law, they didn’t do the eye drop thing this time.

Once my name was called, it wasn’t too bad. Read the numbers, HaHa, with my right eye I could read the 2 numbers at the top, and was then stuck. The nurse then put a black thing with loads of holes (I called it the pepper pot) into the thing I was looking through, and she told me to try again. Amazing, I could now see perfectly. I’d never come across this before.

I then had to queue for the doctor. There was a battleaxe of a nurse there, but she was very efficient. She controlled the line well. I got in to see the doc. He took a quick look and asked if I still wanted the op. I confirmed that was why I was there, and he said 17th March right away. I went to the operation booking window and was given an appointment for my pre-op there and then. No requirement to stay in hospital this time around.

I went downstairs to pay - 800฿. A 1,000฿ saving on the Express Clinic.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The nurse then put a black thing with loads of holes (I called it the pepper pot) into the thing I was looking through, and she told me to try again. Amazing, I could now see perfectly. I’d never come across this before.
The first time I did that test, I couldn't believe it. Apparently it gets rid of all refracted light and concentrates the light source to your eye. I was told that it identifies whether the problem is medical or not. It's called 'pin-hole sight' surprisingly!!

Reading your account so far, I'm so glad I used Dr. Pairat at his clinic. After the eye tests, I was given an appointment the following Sunday morning. Most of the morning was spent with extreme eye washing followed by a rather long wait with drops administered periodically.

When the time came for the op, I went through into his operating room. The surgery took only a few minutes. Dressing and eye patch and at lunch time I was enjoying a well earned pint at my local.

An appointment was made for the following morning to have the dressing removed and a final check on the success. That was a real 'eye-opener'! When I exited to Petchkasem, my first reaction was how colours were so much brighter.

That was that and the same procedure a month later for the other eye. He said that he could give me a 'reading eye' which I thought was a joke, but he did so anyway. That allowed me to read even the smallest print in a newspaper.

That was some years ago and I still have very good eyesight to this day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:26 am Reading your account so far, I'm so glad I used Dr. Pairat at his clinic. After the eye tests, I was given an appointment the following Sunday morning.
I am actually the opposite. I was with a private clinic for quite a few years. My problem was identified at every appointment, but sadly, no action was ever taken. My appointments were becoming increasingly frequent, to the extent I felt I had become a cash cow. One appointment at Hua Hin Hospital, and I was booked in straight away. The only blip was Covid, which has affected a few more people than me - I don't put any blame on the hospital whatsoever.

I could have continued with the Express Clinic, which would have eliminated any waiting time, ut I'm retired, an queueing was part of the experience.

I have tried to include costs at each stage. I wonder how Dr Pairat's current prices would compare? Has he treated anybody for cataracts recently?

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not aware of his costs now. When I had mine done it was 37,000 per eye with the first follow up free and further follow ups chargeable. The cost was never more than a couple of hundred. Any problem as a direct result of the replacement lens was treated free.
Of course now he's got into bed with BKK Hospitall I would guess the price is much higher.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

In January and March 2019 I paid 60 000 Baht per eye to Dr. Pairat (my insurance paid it) and I am very satisfied. I have also 2 different lenses and can see far and near. At the second operation in Bangkok Hospital, just when he wanted to start, the equipment had not enough power and he had to wait 15 minutes until he could continue. At the end I could feel a little of the operation, but otherwise it was OK. The price depends also a bit on the type of lenses, monofocal or multifocal. I have monofocal but with correction of astigamtism.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That shows the BKK Hospital pricing. I wonder how much Pairat gets.
I did have the choice of the multifocal but he told me that it's pretty much a waste of money. He can do '-' in one eye and a '+' in the other which pretty much gives you the best of both worlds. Some years on and I can definitely vouch for that. I've never needed to use glasses for any occasion. The test is reading the nutrition label on small jars. No problem.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pitsch wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm In January and March 2019 I paid 60 000 Baht per eye to Dr. Pairat (my insurance paid it) and I am very satisfied.
2 years ago, and as you will read in future installments, well over double what mine cost this week. Be sure the insurance company probably received a more favourable rate than somebody walking in off the street.

I too was able to select my lens type, etc. Having worked with a private eye clinic for 7 years, I am delighted that I moved to Hua Hin Hospital. My treatment couldn't have been any better, as you will read in 2 days time.

Points 48; Position 20
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

On the detailed bill it says "Packaged physician fee" 20 000.- for one eye.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I paid 42k to Dr. Pairat in January last year. The total cost using Bkk hospital was 52k.

Remember it will vary depending on the individuals circumstances.

I should have had my 2nd op last August but was already in hospital for something else. And it was only delayed until August because I had an inflammation in the eye operated on that took some time to clear up. I have a history of eye ulcers and the inflammation was in the 'usual' affected area. The good Doctor wanted thar sorted before doing the other eye. In addition and rather scarily, an inflammation caused by an ulcer spread to the cornea of the eye yet to be operated on and left a scar, thankfully it has fully healed.

Then for other reasons, nothing to do with my eye this time, the 2nd op got put back again and then when I finally presented myself to arrange a date a couple of months back, I learnt that Bkk hosp had cancelled all such eye ops for 3 months because of covid. Seemingly, the risk of infection of covid via the eye after an op was deemed to be high and an unnecessary risk. So now there's a queue. I have an appt for 6 April to make a new appt.

BB, you haven't said, so I don't know whether you are aware, they will only operate when the cataract has covered 50% of the eye. Same as in the UK.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wasn't aware, but my vision had deteriorated very badly.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

pitsch wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:33 pm
On the detailed bill it says "Packaged physician fee" 20 000.- for one eye.
What does that mean? 20K for him and 40K for the hospital. That can't be true. He was getting very much more when operating from his own practice. Even before his arrangement with BKK Hospital, they were referring patients to Dr. Pairat, especially any laser surgery because he had the equipment and they didn't.

I can't believe he would accept a deal where he gets only 20K per eye.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:04 pm I paid 42k to Dr. Pairat in January last year. The total cost using Bkk hospital was 52k.
That is still over double the cost of Hua Hin Hospital who have 2 dedicated operating theatres for eye surgery.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PART 4

The Pre-Op

There was no Express Clinic in this. My pre-op was completely Thai style, starting with a blood test. I was quite surprised to see this included an HIV test. It did not include a Covid test.

I’ve experienced plenty of Thai style blood tests with Mrs BB, so knew I was in for a bit of a wait. I was number 57, and the queue took about an hour to get to my number. I was ready for this.

Next up, I had to go to the heart clinic for an EKG. I handed over my form, sat down and was called immediately. I lay down on the bed, lifted my shirt and was on my way to the x-ray dept in under 5 minutes.

I handed my form over at the x-ray department reception, sat down and a young girl walked towards me saying, “Mister, follow me.” I followed, had my x-ray, and again was out of there in under 5 minutes.

I now had to visit the eye dept. Handed in my paper, and was told to go for a coffee, and pick up my blood results from the blood place on the way back. Well, you can’t refuse a coffee opportunity. I went to collect my blood results, but they refused to let me have them without my passport. Luckily I had my passport, and the results were handed over.

Back to the eye dept (where I had been allocated a queue number of 19 when I first arrived at the hospital earlier that morning) The queue numbers were on 62 when I got back, so I was pushed to the front of every queue. Read the numbers again, with the same results as before. Initially blind, add the pepper pot slide and perfect vision. Eye pressure test next, then into see the doc. He actually complimented me on my blood sugar levels. I had the go ahead for the op.

I was sent downstairs to pick up some eye drops to be administered on the morning of the op, and pay – 1,800฿.

After this, we had to go to the Blue Building to formally book my operation. I must say, I had been to Hua Hin Hospital many times, but this was the first time I’d been to see the operation suites, which are spread over 3 full floors. If I had any doubts about using Hua Hin Hospital for my op these were soon swept away. Processing my op was very simple, and the facility itself was first class. Roll on Wednesday for the op.

I have to say, I’ve previously had 2 pre-ops at Bangkok Hospital, and blood test apart, this ran much smoother.

Points 48; Position 20