Cataract Operation at Hua Hin Hospital

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Re: Cataract Operation at Hua Hin Hospital

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 pm @BB You mention wearing dark glasses when outside for another while. It's just my opinion, but I'd say that should be the normal habit not just for a short while until your eye heals. UV is one of the main causes of cataracts and good spec sun glasses help protect the eyes.
You're probably right, but I hate wearing them :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:57 pm The number 15 tells you what the pressure is in your eyes. Anything above 17 is considered borderline Glaucoma. 14-15 is a good number. If your numbers go above 17, there are drops you can use that will bring down the pressure to 14. Payrat has them.
Thank you, I've always wondered.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I will need reading glasses after my 2nd op as one eye is long sighted and the other short sighted so correction is always going to be needed.

I was strongly advised by Dr Pairat to always wear sun glasses outside. No ifs, no buts. But in the garden I use a wide brimmed hat to cover the eyes.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 pm I was strongly advised by Dr Pairat to always wear sun glasses outside. No ifs, no buts. But ...
Love it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 pm I will need reading glasses after my 2nd op as one eye is long sighted and the other short sighted so correction is always going to be needed.

I was strongly advised by Dr Pairat to always wear sun glasses outside. No ifs, no buts. But in the garden I use a wide brimmed hat to cover the eyes.
I'm getting lost here. Before the op, Pairat asked me if I want a reading eye. I thought he was joking but after the second op he told me that he'd adjusted my right eye as a reading eye. "Don't worry", he said, "although both eyes are different they will complement each other". So from what I understand, one eye is minus and the other plus.

As I've already said, my op(s) were some years ago (5 or 6 I think) and since then I've NEVER used specs for anything. I don't even possess any. Given a good light I can read very small print.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

caller wrote:I will need reading glasses after my 2nd op as one eye is long sighted and the other short sighted so correction is always going to be needed.

But, what about reflected and scattered UV radiation? How does the hat protect they eyes then?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 am
caller wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 pm I will need reading glasses after my 2nd op as one eye is long sighted and the other short sighted so correction is always going to be needed.

I'm getting lost here. Before the op, Pairat asked me if I want a reading eye. I thought he was joking but after the second op he told me that he'd adjusted my right eye as a reading eye. "Don't worry", he said, "although both eyes are different they will complement each other". So from what I understand, one eye is minus and the other plus.

As I've already said, my op(s) were some years ago (5 or 6 I think) and since then I've NEVER used specs for anything. I don't even possess any. Given a good light I can read very small print.
This may help clarify: https://www.aao.org/eye-health/treatmen ... ct-surgery

(Requirement for glasses after lens replacement)
Alternatively, you may find eyeglasses inconvenient and want to avoid them altogether. If so, you could opt for monofocal lenses but set one lens for distance vision and the other lens for near vision. This is a technique called "monovision." This choice is not for everyone — but for many people, the brain adapts and can synthesize the information from both eyes to provide adequate vision at all distances.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that. So 'monovision' is what I was provided with. "This choice is not for everyone — but for many people,".
It does say 'for many people'. I wonder why it's not more common. It's worked brilliantly for me!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 am Thanks for that. So 'monovision' is what I was provided with. "This choice is not for everyone — but for many people,".
It does say 'for many people'. I wonder why it's not more common. It's worked brilliantly for me!
It depends on the situation with your vision. Sometimes one eye won't respond to the correction. If there is damage to the ocular nerve or, for example, all the rods don't connect to the occiput then, monovision may not work.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

hhinner wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 amBut, what about reflected and scattered UV radiation? How does the hat protect they eyes then?
I keep my head down!

I try and avoid going out into the garden during the heat of the day and generally wear sunglasses when I do. I wear a hat to keep the sun off my head in any case. But for some jobs, the glasses are too dark
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 am I'm getting lost here. Before the op, Pairat asked me if I want a reading eye. I thought he was joking but after the second op he told me that he'd adjusted my right eye as a reading eye. "Don't worry", he said, "although both eyes are different they will complement each other". So from what I understand, one eye is minus and the other plus.
He's not even discussed it as an option for me, but I do have other issues with my eyes. For example, when you have an ulcer, the eye becomes viciously light sensitive. Even in the UK, I would immediately turn my head away from bright light as it was so physically painful and the eye turned red and watered. I wasn't getting that here of all places and the good Doctor explained that the ulcer kept re-appearing over an old scar, where the sensitivity of the eye was already damaged beyond repair
Talk is cheap
Opticks
Novice
Novice

Post by Opticks »

Big Boy wrote:PART 6 & Final

Post op care and follow-up check-up.

The post op care at home was simple:

• Keep the bandages on until the next morning.
• When the bandages come off, eye drops 4 times each day until the bottle is finished.
• Apply eye cream before bed.

The follow-up appointment was 2 days after the op. I was now in the Thai Style appointment regime, so no Express Clinic queue jumping. I was number 42. OK, sit and enjoy the rest.

Now the day got off to the perfect start. I’m not allowed to get my face wet for 2 weeks, so that basically means I can’t wash my hair either. I stepped out into the road to get into the taxi, and a bird dropped its load dead centre of my head. Funny now, but I was not at all impressed at the time, and was self-conscious throughout my forthcoming check-up. I had my wife clean me up as best she could with a handkerchief, which I duly disposed of.

When my name was called, it was in to read the numbers board. Remember 7 days previous I could manage the top 2 numbers. Well, the smile on the nurse’s face when I read straight to the bottom of the numbers board with no effort was amazing. I must say, I was pretty well amazed as well. I was given a 20/20 vision classification in both eyes.

Then the eye pressure test – both eyes scored 15 (no idea what that means, but I guess it was OK).

Then into see the doctor. He must have looked for about 5 seconds, and said, “Perfect, finish the meds and I’ll see you in 1 month.”

So my new eye was given a clean bill of health. We went downstairs to pay – 330฿.

We went for a coffee, and then called a taxi to go home (still at least another day before I’ll consider driving again). A nice sized taxi arrived, but I think there was a problem with the aircon, and he had the blowers on high to compensate. These blowers, despite me wearing sunglasses, were blowing straight at my face. Before we got to Petchkasem Road, my eye was giving me a lot of pain. It was a pain which I suffered most of that afternoon. The blowers on my eye caused significant aggravation. I did get the driver to switch them off, but the damage had been done. Of course, not the taxi driver’s fault, but this was the first pain I’d felt. By 19:30, the pain had completely gone again, and was only a temporary setback.

Day 3 saw me almost normal, but wearing dark glasses. I was quite capable to drive.

Day 4 saw me resuming my daily walks around Khao Tao Lake, but with dark glasses.

Day 5 and the op is just a memory. The (feeling of) bits of sand have gone from my eyes, and Im back to where I was a week ago, except that I can see again. My vision is perfect for anything more than 4’ away. For reading or computer work, I still need my old specs. The dark glasses outdoors and driving will continue for about a week more yet I think.

For all of the hospital snobs out there (I was certainly well within that bracket for a couple of years after coming to live in Thailand) Hua Hin Hospital is an excellent medical facility, which I think we are very lucky to have available to us. Yes, seeing the Thai cattle market appointment style can be very off-putting, but I’ve done many of these with Mrs BB, and the system works. I’m a semi-snob these days and tend to use the Premium (Express) Clinic facilities, which IMHO are excellent. It took me a long time to change to Hua Hin Hospital, and even after I’d changed, it took 2 or 3 visits before I became comfortable with the place - the reputation on forums such as this can be very misleading. All that I can say, is try it, you will be surprised at how good it is.

I am a satisfied customer.
So what lense did you opt for? Monofocal? Monofocal Toric? Extended? Was it a basic lense or upgrade? Etc. Sorry if you specified and I missed it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa, I knew somebody would ask me that. and the honest answer is I don't know. All of the paperwork is in Thai. I was given a full description of the options verbally, and the one I chose sounded the best. The interpretation was given in layman's terms i.e. no technical bumf. Cost of all lenses available was not an issue.

I will try to interpret the paperwork and let you know. However, If I fail, I will post the lens type in Thai, and maybe you or one of the clever people can interpret.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sorry, the verbal bumf was a lot more detailed than this, but this is the best I have. The manufacturer was Hoya. The written description on the paperwork states:
165257301_437933570620665_4579483272074643319_n.jpg
165257301_437933570620665_4579483272074643319_n.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 181 times
My crap interpretation simply states....................
It is a foldable type lens with a wound size of only 2-3 mm. This type of lens has a blue light filter in sunlight, reducing the chance of macular degeneration in the elderly.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Not crap at all. That's all that's there.