Uncle Vill Steakhouse

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Uncle Vill Steakhouse

Post by Jack_Batty »

This is the restaurant that shares a parking lot with Villa Market. The girlfriend and I were leaving the market after doing a bit of shopping, and we were talking about where to eat dinner. We saw Uncle Vill there, and since we had never tried it before, shrugged and said, “What the hell” and walked inside.
Yeah, maybe I’ll catch a little hell for reviewing a restaurant with “steakhouse” in its name, and not trying any of their steak. I had been craving pasta all day, and there was pasta written as one of their offerings on the chalkboard outside the front door. It was a deciding factor to give it a shot. I shall try the steak on a future visit.
We started with an appetizer of calamari. I love calamari...most of the time. I can say that the breading and accompanying aioli were fantastic, but the squid itself was very thin, hard, and chewy like jerky. It was terrible. I would never recommend getting this appetizer.
I had the carbonara pasta and it came with two strips of hard bacon on the sides of the bowl. No bread. The flavor was good. Nothing special. The pasta itself was cooked good. My girlfriend had the smoked salmon Caesar salad. Presentation was very nice. We love smoked salmon, but this salmon was super salty and we couldn’t finish the last floret of salmon strip, which I think is the first time we’ve ever been unable to eat a piece of salmon set before us.
The restaurant’s ambiance was nice and the service was very friendly and attentive. I do want to come back and try their steak. I wouldn’t, however, come back just for any of the dishes that I have already tried. I already know that there are better options in town for those particular items. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Uncle Vill Steakhouse

Post by handdrummer »

If they can't do a simple pasta and a simple salmon salad or a calamari, why would you want to return for something else?
Unless they have deep pockets, they won't be there long.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was trying to understand whether the post was a recommendation or a warning to stay clear!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

handdrummer wrote:If they can't do a simple pasta and a simple salmon salad or a calamari, why would you want to return for something else?
Unless they have deep pockets, they won't be there long.
Because they are a steakhouse, and maybe their steaks kick ass. I aim to find out, when I’m craving a steak. They just didn’t knock it out of the park on the other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote:I was trying to understand whether the post was a recommendation or a warning to stay clear!
Steer clear if your craving calamari! Otherwise, I’m sure it’s just fine. The steak they serve might be killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

You had enough money remaining to buy dinner after shopping at Villa Market? 😂
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Thailightzone wrote:You had enough money remaining to buy dinner after shopping at Villa Market? Image
Right? Some of their prices are downright ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Jack_Batty wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:32 pm Some of their prices are downright ridiculous.
Absolutely. 750mL Crisco Peanut Oil is $5 in Australia (and that is imported from Malaysia). I finally found it at Villa Market ... $22 AUD 😮😮😮
Attachments
1612950290668.jpg
1612950290668.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 312 times