Induction Cooktops / Hobs

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Induction Cooktops / Hobs

Post by bigston »

Not yet having purchased one for our new house, id be grateful for experiences with various brands
reliability , performance etc.
the usual supposedly upmarket ones Franke, Hafele,Electrolux,
compared with the thai built Tecnogas, Tecnoplus.

Thank You.
buksida

Re: Induction Cooktops / Hobs

Post by buksida »

Ours is a Teka oven and hob and it is now about to enter its ninth year of (heavy) operation. The only thing wrong is the electric sparker that ignites the gas hobs gave up a couple of years ago, but this appears to be a common problem with all gas hobs regardless of brand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think he was talking about an electric Induction Hob rather than gas - I have no experience of induction hobs so cannot comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Not a fan of induction hobs. A friend had the glass break so had to throw the whole unit out. I use gas at home, but electric oven is preferable as has better heat control. When we recently purchased a condo for my son, we had electric hotplates installed. Still don't like that the cooking surface is glass.
Use local brands, they outlast the imports and are cheaper to install and replace. Repairs are also less of a hassle to get done.
วินเชนท์
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Buying locally made would be preferable
providing the quality is ok
thank you.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Have had a MEX Induction Hob in my house for over 8 years now. I like the precise heat control that you can have with it . I grew up with Electric cooking so am used to it taking a while to heat up but it will boil water much faster than that explosive gas does. I can cook my pancakes on #6 and every time it is the right heat for grilling them. I love it!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought an induction hob provided instant heat?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Induction hobs induce electricity by way of eddy currents into specially designed cookware meant for induction cooking. These are typically heavy bottomed pots or pans that efficiently turn the induced electric current into heat. Glass (pyrex) won't work, and some of the cheaper local cookware won't either. But they are efficient when using the correctly designed cookware.
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

They also need to be magnetic so cast iron or carbon steel, stainless steel, but not aluminium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A lot of aluminum pots and pans now have a magnetic stainless bottom.

induction_cas_aluminium_base_web_5.jpg
induction_cas_aluminium_base_web_5.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I'm glad this thread appeared as I had never heard of induction cookers and after reading off I trot to Tesco Lotus and buy this Imarflex for a shade over 1k baht. I'm amazed at the speed, it will boil a pan of water in about half the time it takes on my gas hob. The only glitch was that most of my pans weren't compatible but as they were a bit long in the tooth, a new wok and a couple of new saucepans were the order of the day.

Considering the cost I think it will pay for itself in a couple of years against the cost of replacement gas bottles. :cheers:
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You'll have to see if it's nasty to your electric bill. I have no idea how much power they draw, but I hope not as much as a small aircon.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

PeteC wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:47 pm You'll have to see if it's nasty to your electric bill. I have no idea how much power they draw, but I hope not as much as a small aircon.
Good point so I asked Mr Google...

An induction cooktop does not use more electricity and is far more energy-efficient than gas or electric cooktops. With induction cooking, 85-90% of the heat energy generated is used for cooking. In comparison, with a gas stove or electric cooktops, only 65-70% of the heat is used for actual cooking.

https://inductionguide.com/induction-co ... %20cooking.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's good to know. :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure it will be a good buy and convenient to use, but whether or not it works out cheaper than bottled gas I’m not sure - the big gas bottles we buy are less than 400 Baht and last for many months - probably more than six months!! Having said that, I might investigate buying one myself