Master of spy thriller John le Carre dies at 89

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Master of spy thriller John le Carre dies at 89

Post by buksida »

John le Carre, who has died aged 89, shot to fame during the chilly depths of the Cold War as master of the spy thriller, before evolving to become a scathing chronicler of the moral costs of globalisation.

Age did not wither the writer's anger at the establishment, with Brexit -- Britain's divisive departure from the European Union -- breathing new life into his espionage oeuvre.

Speaking to AFP in December 2019, he urged Britons to "join the resistance" as they prepared to vote in a general election.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/arts-a ... dies-at-89

I may take a look at some of his modern stuff - I remember enjoying the classics such as Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Master of spy thriller John le Carre dies at 89

Post by handdrummer »

I may take a look at some of his modern stuff - I remember enjoying the classics such as Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People ...
They're all good reads. The style, like most prolific novelists, becomes familiar but the plot twists make them interesting.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

He also wrote the book “The Night Manager”which was adapted for a very successful/enjoyable TV programme of the same name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

George Smiley was a great invention and Alec Guinness played him to perfection.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:50 am He also wrote the book “The Night Manager”which was adapted for a very successful/enjoyable TV programme of the same name
I was going to say the same thing, but hadn't realised it was written nearly 30 years ago!! I'm sure like many others, I've not read his books but have seen several movie and screen adaptations of them - the latest being "The Night Manager", but others including the obvious "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and one of my favorites "A Perfect Spy".

A great author and spy! (MI6/MI5)..... RIP.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:15 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:50 am He also wrote the book “The Night Manager”which was adapted for a very successful/enjoyable TV programme of the same name
I was going to say the same thing, but hadn't realised it was written nearly 30 years ago!! I'm sure like many others, I've not read his books but have seen several movie and screen adaptations of them - the latest being "The Night Manager", but others including the obvious "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and one of my favorites "A Perfect Spy".

A great author and spy! (MI6/MI5)..... RIP.
I have not read his later books I must catch up now, superb author R.I.P
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, a sad loss as a writer.

I suppose Tinker, Tailor etc kicked it all off for me and whilst it was an excellent book, I have always felt that "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold" was possibly his best espionage effort. "A Perfect Spy" was also very good. In those two books, he wrote about the secret agent from a totally different perspective - ruined people who had betrayed everyone and were descending into madness, self doubt and hell. They just needed one final honourable thing to do to try and atone. In their own ways, very sad books but le Carre always reckoned he portrayed the spy realistically in them.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have enjoyed many of his books and agree with Lomu, his breakthrough novel, not his first, was one of his best and that was 'the spy who came in from the cold'. Great film as well. The Times reported that Alec Guiness so successfully captured the image of Smiley that if affected Le Carre's plans to use 'Smiley' in future novels, although he latterly did. They also stated he lived llife to the full as a Tory but voted Labour. I found his moralising a bit tiresome in some of the later works.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've downloaded a couple of his newer stand-alone ones from that ebook archive to give them a go: Agent Running in the Field (his last), and A Legacy of Spies

Gotta love technology!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:17 am I've downloaded a couple of his newer stand-alone ones from that ebook archive to give them a go: Agent Running in the Field (his last), and A Legacy of Spies
I'm not sure a legacy of spies is a stand alone novel. Probably best if yoou read 'the spy who came in from the cold' first. There's a cast of old faces in this book. I enjoyed it. Certainly easier on the mind than any of the 'tinker tailor' books.
Talk is cheap