18K Gold Jewelry

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

18K Gold Jewelry

Post by Hahuahin »

Allow me to ask if some could happen to know a preferable store which sell genuine 18K gold Jewelry in Hua Hin
(Wedding anniversary)
I see a store in Blueport but I dont know if its genuine 18K Gold so if someone have recommendation's I'm grateful for info. :)
Thank you
hahuahin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: 18K Gold Jewelry

Post by HHTel »

Most gold shops are genuine. They will have the buying and selling price which is pretty much the same in all the shops.

18 Karat gold is more difficult to come by as most Thai gold is 23K (96.5%) or 22K (91.6%)
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

HHTel wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:33 pm Most gold shops are genuine. They will have the buying and selling price which is pretty much the same in all the shops.

18 Karat gold is more difficult to come by as most Thai gold is 23K (96.5%) or 22K (91.6%)
Thank you for replying, I'm aware of the Thai Gold shops. That gold is in IMO to soft and always think about the shops as more like a mix of saving banks and pawn shops.

When we married soon 25 years ago we bought 18K wedding rings here in that time a huge jewelry store in Bangkok but had hoped to avoid a Bangkok trip if it was a store here in Hua Hin where I could get a modest 18K necklace with a pendant!

hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son and daughter-in-law bought their wedding bands in Glamor (shops in Bluport and Market Village). They do sell some quality jewelry, although maybe not what you want.

My daughter-in-law has just handed me the carrier bag they received their bands in, and it has the following URL printed www.facebook.com/glamorgem .
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Hahuahin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:33 pm Most gold shops are genuine. They will have the buying and selling price which is pretty much the same in all the shops.

Thank you for replying, I'm aware of the Thai Gold shops. That gold is in IMO to soft and always think about the shops as more like a mix of saving banks and pawn shops.

When we married soon 25 years ago we bought 18K wedding rings here in that time a huge jewelry store in Bangkok but had hoped to avoid a Bangkok trip if it was a store here in Hua Hin where I could get a modest 18K necklace with a pendant!

hahuahin
It's not Thai gold that is soft. All gold is soft and is softer the higher the karat. Because gold jewelry in the UK for example is a lower karat, 18 being the top of the scale in general, people are used to a harder gold jewelry. 18 karat gold is 75% pure with 25% other metals. Thai gold jewelry at 22 or 23 karat is 91/96% pure gold. 24 karat is 100% pure.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that some of the stores under Lazada advertise 18 karat jewelry.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Hahuahin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm Thank you for replying, I'm aware of the Thai Gold shops. That gold is in IMO to soft and always think about the shops as more like a mix of saving banks and pawn shops.

hahuahin
It's true that 22/23K gold is a bit soft for a wedding ring as rings tend to get quite a bit of "wear and tear" but it's not a problem with necklaces, ear-rings etc. The only thing they come into contact with (on a regular basis) is the wearer's body, which is considerably softer than even 23K gold.

If it's for a necklace, just go with the "regular" Thai gold - by the time you factor in the extra time, hassle and potentially travel costs, I don't reckon you'd be saving much anyway.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If a necklace is the type you have to fasten and unfasten rather than slipping it over your head, a 22-23K W or S clasp will break. The bending to open/close does it in. I can't put an exact number on it but under 100 bends seems accurate from what I've experienced over the years.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:42 pm My son and daughter-in-law bought their wedding bands in Glamor (shops in Bluport and Market Village). They do sell some quality jewelry, although maybe not what you want.

My daughter-in-law has just handed me the carrier bag they received their bands in, and it has the following URL printed www.facebook.com/glamorgem .
Thank you :) will check out this store because when they have rings then they also probably a necklace.
hahuahin
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

HHTel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:06 pm
Hahuahin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm

hahuahin
It's not Thai gold that is soft. All gold is soft and is softer the higher the karat. Because gold jewelry in the UK for example is a lower karat, 18 being the top of the scale in general, people are used to a harder gold jewelry. 18 karat gold is 75% pure with 25% other metals. Thai gold jewelry at 22 or 23 karat is 91/96% pure gold. 24 karat is 100% pure.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that some of the stores under Lazada advertise 18 karat jewelry.
Don't take me wrong. Thai gold at 22-24 karat is of course more gold and have more "gold investment/sale value" but we don't see it as wearable and we look more at gold jewelry for something wearable for memory, connection and commitment and not as a investment product.
hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In that case, try the shop(s) I recommended.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

PeteC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 pm If a necklace is the type you have to fasten and unfasten rather than slipping it over your head, a 22-23K W or S clasp will break. The bending to open/close does it in. I can't put an exact number on it but under 100 bends seems accurate from what I've experienced over the years.
Ah - then I suspect you're opening the clasp the wrong way, I'm afraid - as I had been doing, apparently. I had this explained to me early on by my wife when this happened with my first Thai gold necklace.

I had been twisting the clasp to open it and indeed, it broke after a couple of years (I didn't take it off every day).

She explained to me that you have to open it by "pulling" the outside bit of the clasp away from the centre. I've been doing that with the replacement clasp for the last 20 years now and it hasn't broken yet.
Meerkat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Meerkat »

Can any of you gold experts recommend a place that custom make gold jewellery? The LHG wants some silver ear rings copying in gold.