Reliable Air Conditioning Service Company.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: The Home Air-Conditioner Thread

Post by bigston »

Have had 5 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries units installed,
been in for 2 months, only had the need to use 2 of them a few times, its been too mild
did a Lot of research and these or the Daikin Zetas, were the top picks
expensive ? yes more than the Lg's and numerous others but i believe they are better made, and the running costs are substantially less than a lot of others
this webpage i found was most useful, to compare models, electricity costs etc

https://www-goldenair-co-th.translate.g ... _tr_pto=sc
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks, had a look in Global House in Prachuap over the weekend, but they had a very skinny selection. Mitsus seem to be about 25% dearer than the rest, but they also seem to be the top choice.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:07 am Thanks, had a look in Global House in Prachuap over the weekend, but they had a very skinny selection. Mitsus seem to be about 25% dearer than the rest, but they also seem to be the top choice.
There are 2 types of Mitsubushi air cons: Mitsubhushi Electric(Mr.Slim), and Mitsubhusi Heavy Industries.

Now some will argue with this, and it may have changed, but I have had a couple of bad issues with the Heavy Industries units. It may depend on where they are manufactured, and at the time, the crap ones were made in Malaysia.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, these were all Heavy Industries ones and substantially more than the equivalent other brands. Not keen on another Samsung, but they had a 12,500 BTU inverter one for 14,500 including installation which didn't sound too bad.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:26 am Yeah, these were all Heavy Industries ones and substantially more than the equivalent other brands. Not keen on another Samsung, but they had a 12,500 BTU inverter one for 14,500 including installation which didn't sound too bad.
That sounds like a good deal. You have to bear in mind the many advances in design over the past 10 years. What may have been the standard 10 years ago, is no where near todays standard. From what I can see about the Samsung, I like the outlet design that does not blow straight out, but down towards the floor. Caveat Emptor!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, 10 year+ makes a world of difference. I bough 3 Daikin inverter units about 12 years ago and nothing but problems with the inverter system. I still use Daikin, but not inverter. Maybe time to try again next round.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

The primary concern is the power bill, which has already jumped 30-odd percent without even touching the a/c. Winter bills are now what we paid in summer so we can expect a 4,000 baht plus bill when we're dipping into the a/c at night during the hot months.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

3 weeks ago I had annual cleaning and service performed on all 6 of my air conditioner units. I used the same company that I’ve used in years past. They charged 500 baht per unit for cleaning, then an extra charge for topping off the gas in the units that needed it. The gas charge is actually a bit expensive. The cleaning method (on the inside component) is to remove the plastic housing, then drape a large water catchment plastic liner around the unit hanging on the wall, then use a water pressure washer to blast / wash the dirt, with the dirty water running down a large diameter hose into a bucket on the floor. As usual, at no time did they disassemble the inside unit hanging on the wall, other than to remove the large plastic housing.

About a week later I noticed the unit in our bedroom was louder than normal, with the louder noise coming and going, coming and going, repeating every minute or two and lasting for a minute or two. I tried different fan settings to see if it made a difference,but due to the intermittent nature of the noise I was unable to determine anything by changing fan settings. I considered calling the same company that did the cleaning to come fix what I was assuming was a developing mechanical problem.

Last year I had a major electrical problem with several of my units that resulted from an over-voltage situation that I inadvertently caused. This over-voltage condition burned out the master electronics board in the units, which required the electronics boards be replaced, this was relatively expensive. At the time, I called the Daikin repair service 4 digit speed dial telephone number and they dispatched a local husband / wife company named “Winter Wind”. The wife speaks excellent English ! I was extremely impressed with the work and service that Winter Wind provided so I decided to call them to come resolve what I assumed was a mechanical problem causing the intermittent noise in my bedroom unit. I called the Daikin 4 digit speed dial number, navigated the menu system to an English speaking person and described my problem. They wanted to dispatch a company out of Nonthaburi, for a cost of 465 house call fee and 2500 baht travel fee. I asked for a local company and was transferred to another number that no one answered. Looking at the original Daikin receipt, I found the direct telephone number to Winter Wind, spoke with the wife and made an appointment for 3 days out (they were closed for 2 days due to Chinese New Year.

The husband and an assistant arrived yesterday at 9am, exactly on time. Within a few minutes they diagnosed the noise problem as being due to heavy caked dirt on the squirrel cage fan assembly, even though the other company had “cleaned” it less than 3 weeks ago. They then disassembled the inside unit, bringing the fan and motor assembly down to the ground and outside, where they then disassembled it even farther until they could give it a thorough cleaning with the pressure washer and rags, and drying with air gun. They also used a large water catchment canvas liner around the coolant coils, which remained suspended up on the wall while they performed a deep clean on the fan, housing motor parts. After reassembly, the unit worked flawlessly, better than it has in years. I also had him do the same thing for the large unit in our living room. Cost was a flat fee of 900 baht for 18,000 btu unit and 1500 baht for 33,000 btu unit, gas included. Well worth the cost and I am extremely happy with the service I received. I have removed the telephone number of the original company from my address book and replaced it with Winter Wind, which I look forward to using for many years to come.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thais of all persuasions should not be allowed to touch ANY high pressure washdown pumps!

They definitely should not be used on any part of an airconditioner. The thin cooling fins on both inside and outside units can easily be bent over using high pressure water, thereby resticting the airflow. The correct type of cleaning detergent should be applied, allowed to soak a bit, and just rinsed off with low pressure water.

Most of them have absolutely no idea concerning the correct pressures of the refigerant that applies. More so with modern types of refrigerant. 99% of them will add refrigerant regardless of whether or not it is needed. Ask one of them what amount of "superheat" is correct for the machine that they are working on.

It is a bit like the electrical contractors, especially house wiring installers. There is no regulation or rules concerning who can work on either of these systems, or what quakifications they should have. Posted on the house generator thread, there is now some rules and training being introduced for workers on commercial buildings, but not domestic buildings.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We've decided to go for the Daikin inverter 12,000 BTU setup which comes in at 17,500 including installation. We were warned off LGs and Hitachis and don't particularly want another Samsung after the issues we've had with the current one.

Now, I wonder if it is possible to sell the internal part of the a/c unit which works fine rather than just scrapping it.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

buksida wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:32 am We've decided to go for the Daikin inverter 12,000 BTU setup which comes in at 17,500 including installation……

Now, I wonder if it is possible to sell the internal part of the a/c unit which works fine rather than just scrapping it.
Interesting question about selling the inside unit, not sure of the answer.

My philosophy on sizing aircon units to buy is to buy the biggest size you can afford. When operating I think the larger size units will achieve the desired temperature faster and more efficiently, then the inverter will idle the unit down so it’s expending a bare minimum of effort (cost of electricity) to maintain the desired temp. I think the incremental cost of a larger unit is relatively low. The last thing I would want is to size the unit too small so it’s forced to work it’s ass off constantly to remove the desired amount of heat.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The compressor may be salvageable, but unless you can find a place that has a small shop repairing them, Thais will probably want it for free.
The moist air should be kept out of it by either plugging the pipes if still attached, or better, closing both the service valves where the pipes to the imside wall unit were attached.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

When we replace ours the dealer always gives a trade in when taking the old units. We usually get between 3,000 to 7,000 depending upon condition and unit size. Obviously these companies salvage and either resell parts, or use them for repairs themselves.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Scout wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:19 am 3 weeks ago I had annual cleaning and service performed on all 6 of my air conditioner units. I used the same company that I’ve used in years past. They charged 500 baht per unit for cleaning, then an extra charge for topping off the gas in the units that needed it. The gas charge is actually a bit expensive. The cleaning method (on the inside component) is to remove the plastic housing, then drape a large water catchment plastic liner around the unit hanging on the wall, then use a water pressure washer to blast / wash the dirt, with the dirty water running down a large diameter hose into a bucket on the floor. As usual, at no time did they disassemble the inside unit hanging on the wall, other than to remove the large plastic housing.

About a week later I noticed the unit in our bedroom was louder than normal, with the louder noise coming and going, coming and going, repeating every minute or two and lasting for a minute or two. I tried different fan settings to see if it made a difference,but due to the intermittent nature of the noise I was unable to determine anything by changing fan settings. I considered calling the same company that did the cleaning to come fix what I was assuming was a developing mechanical problem.

Last year I had a major electrical problem with several of my units that resulted from an over-voltage situation that I inadvertently caused. This over-voltage condition burned out the master electronics board in the units, which required the electronics boards be replaced, this was relatively expensive. At the time, I called the Daikin repair service 4 digit speed dial telephone number and they dispatched a local husband / wife company named “Winter Wind”. The wife speaks excellent English ! I was extremely impressed with the work and service that Winter Wind provided so I decided to call them to come resolve what I assumed was a mechanical problem causing the intermittent noise in my bedroom unit. I called the Daikin 4 digit speed dial number, navigated the menu system to an English speaking person and described my problem. They wanted to dispatch a company out of Nonthaburi, for a cost of 465 house call fee and 2500 baht travel fee. I asked for a local company and was transferred to another number that no one answered. Looking at the original Daikin receipt, I found the direct telephone number to Winter Wind, spoke with the wife and made an appointment for 3 days out (they were closed for 2 days due to Chinese New Year.

The husband and an assistant arrived yesterday at 9am, exactly on time. Within a few minutes they diagnosed the noise problem as being due to heavy caked dirt on the squirrel cage fan assembly, even though the other company had “cleaned” it less than 3 weeks ago. They then disassembled the inside unit, bringing the fan and motor assembly down to the ground and outside, where they then disassembled it even farther until they could give it a thorough cleaning with the pressure washer and rags, and drying with air gun. They also used a large water catchment canvas liner around the coolant coils, which remained suspended up on the wall while they performed a deep clean on the fan, housing motor parts. After reassembly, the unit worked flawlessly, better than it has in years. I also had him do the same thing for the large unit in our living room. Cost was a flat fee of 900 baht for 18,000 btu unit and 1500 baht for 33,000 btu unit, gas included. Well worth the cost and I am extremely happy with the service I received. I have removed the telephone number of the original company from my address book and replaced it with Winter Wind, which I look forward to using for many years to come.
I’ve had a couple private messages requesting the telephone number of Winter Wind Company that provided me with outstanding Air Con cleaning service. Their telephone number is 092-465-6145.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We've used the new Daikin for less than 4 hours and yesterday it packed up and started flashing error messages. Daikin error code E1 means a circuit board problem in the outside unit. A/C dude comes to check and a f'kin gecko has got in there. Now we need to wait for a Daikin technician to come and have a look - no idea if lizards are covered under the warranty but damn well should be as it is a design flaw.

I mean who designs these things that are supposed to operate in the tropics where there are a lot of beasties that can get into them and fry them? :banghead: