Grand Market Gone

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Grand Market Gone

Post by Big Boy »

I've just seen a video - the market has been raised to the ground. Another piece of old Hua Hin gone for ever. I wonder if they'll do anything useful with the land, or just leave it as another eyesore.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Blot
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Grand Market Gone

Post by Blot »

Where was the market ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Next door to San Paulo Hospital.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

I remember that place fondly, back in the day they had a large tropical fish section every Thursday. It was the only other market in Hua Hin aside from the night market and Chatchai.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

No tourists, no customers, no more money. What will they do ? I remember the old open Satukarn Sq. They build a useless thing, now empty.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:43 pm I remember that place fondly, back in the day they had a large tropical fish section every Thursday.
If I recall correctly, that was the only night the market was on. IThe market area was used by other businesses incuding a car cleaner at other times. I stayed at the Grand Hotel in 2003 and certainly at that time it only opened for one night.

It certainly had a hey day, but in the last few years it's been in decline.

Is the main night market still going? It's been a long time since I have been there and it will be a while before I ever go again.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought it was open the weekend as well, but then closed during the week - it used to be a good market but has over the years been in steady decline and with the lack of tourists, no surprise that it’s closed.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, when I first met my partner many years ago, I remember going there to buy her cheap pairs of jeans. I was impressed because the last Asian girlfriend I had before that used to take me to designer boutiques!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I ate therea lot. There was, surprisingly, a place that did quite good western food. A group of us used to go for a beer of four every Thursday night.
Blot
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Blot »

caller wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:38 pm
buksida wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:43 pm I remember that place fondly, back in the day they had a large tropical fish section every Thursday.
If I recall correctly, that was the only night the market was on. IThe market area was used by other businesses incuding a car cleaner at other times. I stayed at the Grand Hotel in 2003 and certainly at that time it only opened for one night.

It certainly had a hey day, but in the last few years it's been in decline.

Is the main night market still going? It's been a long time since I have been there and it will be a while before I ever go again.
Yes, the main night market in Sasong Road is still open, but it isn't busy nowadays because of the lack of tourists.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Went to a blues bar called The Railway which is in that night market area the other night. There were four people in the bar (including us) and about as many walking up and down the street. Desolate doesn't even come close to describing it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson