Sean Connery Passes

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Sean Connery Passes

Post by pharvey »

Sad news reported this afternoon. Grew up watching Sean Connery, from sneaking into the Drive-in in SA to watch James Bond as a kid to enjoying a multitude of his movies covering numerous genres - action, comedy, drama, war, sci-fi, you name it. A great talent.

Thanks for the memories - RIP Mr Connery.

Sean Connery: James Bond Actor Dies Aged 90

"Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90, his family has said.

The Scottish actor was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers.

Sir Sean died peacefully in his sleep in the Bahamas, having been "unwell for some time", his son said.

His acting career spanned five decades and he won an Oscar in 1988 for his role in The Untouchables.

Sir Sean's other films included The Hunt for Red October, Highlander, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Rock."

More @ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54761824
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Sean Connery Passes

Post by HHTel »

An acting icon. Never made a bad movie.

News like this makes me realise how old I am!!!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sean Connery

Post by Lost »

What a legend.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Sean Connery

Post by Lost »

Watching that...

🤣

Bit of a womaniser was our 007. Get in, pal! :laugh:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote:Watching that...

The BBC showed a few brief extracts of some of his films in their late News programme last night and the one that made me chuckle was when Honor Blackman says “my name is Pussy Galore” and Sean Connery replies ‘I must be dreaming”!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:19 am

The BBC showed a few brief extracts of some of his films in their late News programme last night and the one that made me chuckle was when Honor Blackman says “my name is Pussy Galore” and Sean Connery replies ‘I must be dreaming”!!

I always thought his reply was "But of course it is..." - these days I seem to make up my own memories though, so could well be mistaken!

I'm sure there's going to be many tributes and "showings" of Mr Sir Connery's Films over the coming weeks, which no doubt will be a fine tribute to him :thumb:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Got all his films on a flash drive so it's prompted me to rewatch a few of them.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:00 am Got all his films on a flash drive so it's prompted me to rewatch a few of them.
Can't say I have all, but certainly have access to them and feel the same way HHTel! :thumb:

It's amazing how things such as films (or scenes within films) link to lifelong memories - a visit to New York in the early 80's for example for me and one of my clearest memories was seeing "Outlander" at the cinema! Or sitting through a fairly poor movie years later "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" only for SSC to make a cameo appearance in the dying minutes and to a standing ovation in the cinema..... Class act!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:37 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:19 am

I always thought his reply was "But of course it is..." - these days I seem to make up my own memories though, so could well be mistaken!

I'm sure there's going to be many tributes and "showings" of Mr Sir Connery's Films over the coming weeks, which no doubt will be a fine tribute to him :thumb:
Maybe it was “clever” editing by the beeb because I agree with you, but I replayed it 2 or 3 times and he definitely said I must be dreaming in the bit they showed.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nope, you're quite right DB - I was confused with "Plenty O'Toole" (as you would be of course). And in no disrespect to the man himself...: -

"Diamonds are Forever" - great movie, great car chase (Mustang) and what a title song... Sung by Shirly from Tiger Bay no less.

What a combination.

Another great "movie memory" of SC was the "Medicine Man" - many moons ago, underrated IMO.. will watch that one again!!

All in all, great memories of a great man.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

My favorite was The Man Who Would Be King. SSC and Michael Caine, what a combination!!

RIP
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Connery was always my favourite Bond. Will be watching some this afternoon. RIP.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

https://variety.com/2020/film/columns/s ... obal-en-GB

An interesting article about Connery's career from Variety, the industry magazine. It might give you one or two interesting download ideas that would not otherwise have occurred to you (though it doesn't mention The Name of the Rose for some reason).
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Always a Scot.