Pork cuts

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Pork cuts

Post by migrant »

Does anyone know a place that is familiar with US (maybe European too, I don't know) cuts of pork? I am looking for places that would cut pork shoulder, pork butt, etc. I am sure any Thai pork operation would cut to specification, but I don't really know how to tell them.

There are many youtube videos on butchering a pig, but before I drag a laptop to a Thai butcher I thought I would ask the collected wisdom here.

Thanks!! :cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Re: Pork cuts

Post by PeteC »

Good luck finding pork shoulder. In my area if you don't get to the wet market by dawn it's all gone to the vendors who prepare Kaokamoo everyday.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A thought.....check with Dave at Hua Hin Ham & Bacon. He's an expert and if he can't source it and prepare it for you, he'll know where to go.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was going to suggest the same. Have you tried Makro, if you get the right person, they can be very helpful.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I have to admit I forgot about HHH&B he's a good guy.

Makro is good but not sure if they would understand the US cuts, worth a try though

Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think you’ll find that the meat at Makro comes already prepared - they don’t butcher the meat in individual stores. You might find that the “Moo Shop” on the corner of Soi 68 has something, but the best place would be the French Butcher Jean-Pierre in Soi 88 who has all types of traditional meat cuts, albeit at prices considerably more than Makro etc

BOUCHERIE JEAN-PIERRE
Hua Hin, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110, Thailand
+66 32 511 894
https://goo.gl/maps/XtyQAAZ73XMrkGFDA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:46 pm I think you’ll find that the meat at Makro comes already prepared - they don’t butcher the meat in individual stores. You might find that the “Moo Shop” on the corner of Soi 68 has something, but the best place would be the French Butcher Jean-Pierre in Soi 88 who has all types of traditional meat cuts, albeit at prices considerably more than Makro etc

BOUCHERIE JEAN-PIERRE
+66 32 511 894

Thanks! I've been to his shop and bought beef, very good. Didn't notice much pork but a butcher probably knows.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:50 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:46 pm I think you’ll find that the meat at Makro comes already prepared - they don’t butcher the meat in individual stores. You might find that the “Moo Shop” on the corner of Soi 68 has something, but the best place would be the French Butcher Jean-Pierre in Soi 88 who has all types of traditional meat cuts, albeit at prices considerably more than Makro etc

BOUCHERIE JEAN-PIERRE
+66 32 511 894

Thanks! I've been to his shop and bought beef, very good. Didn't notice much pork but a butcher probably knows.
I think you’ll find he keeps some of his meat out the back in cold storage but if you ask, I’m sure he will be able to help. :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

PeteC wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:12 pm ... all gone to the vendors who prepare Kaokamoo everyday.
Ahhh, my 2nd favourite dish after larb moo/bpet. Could sit and wolf down 3 or 4 plates of that with a couple of cold changs at my local. Good times.

Ho hum, 3 more years of London and I'll be back munching on Thai food. :blues:

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.