Current Sunday Roast availability

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Current Sunday Roast availability

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve made a few crumbles in my time and this recipe looks to be as genuinely traditional as you can get. https://www.tasteatlas.com/crumble/recipe

Whether or not Gary makes the only genuine apple crumble in Hua Hin, I have no idea - I reckon that one of the biggest stumbling blocks would be getting access to British apples?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, what I'm trying to establish is whether it is a 'mum' ingredient that makes it 'genuine' for Harry, or whether it is something special that experienced chefs such as Chef Andy at Andreanas is getting wrong.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I know I am being a pedant, but I would like to know where he has tried Sunday lunch, as it's obvious there are many, including hotels. Plus, we all have diffierent tastes, when Palm Bistro existed, I liked their Sunday Roast, but others here talked down their Yorkies, I myself like the fact the veg was served in a different dish, but others didn't. I didn't like the fact, the veg was served with a white sauce, others loved it.

And I bet my mum served the greatest Sunday Roast that was different to his mums Sunday roast! :D

I still recall, with shock and horror, no less, visiting a then girlfriends family in 'Cov' and being served with a roast, sans any veg at all! Just meat and spuds with bread to mop up the gravy. It was like I was entering a very different, scary World. Her mum made a concession for me on future visits and I got a portion of peas!
Talk is cheap
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

A real crumble contains only apple (or rhubarb, etc.) and crumble. It does not have any pastry round it. It is NOT a pie with apple in it and crumble on top. I like to taste the apple and the crumble but find a pie crust spoils the taste!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

As far as Andreanus roast is concerned. The meat is perfect the rest is served up in buffet form in large containers which means the content quickly gets cold and no longer tastes fresh.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HarryVardon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:58 pm A real crumble contains only apple (or rhubarb, etc.) and crumble. It does not have any pastry round it. It is NOT a pie with apple in it and crumble on top. I like to taste the apple and the crumble but find a pie crust spoils the taste!
In that case, it is not the only 'genuine' crumble in town. Most certainly, the crumble at Andreanas is just as genuine. I'm sure I've had other 'genuine' crumbles in Hua Hin, but don't remember where.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A crumble is as I posted earlier, made with apple or any fruit that’s available - apple may be traditional, but any fruit is just as acceptable if that’s what’s available. A traditional crumble topping consists of flour, butter and sugar that’s mixed to form a “breadcrumb” texture and placed on top of the fruit and baked in an oven. Those of a more health-conscious nature can add a proportion of oats instead of flour and get a more crunchy topping - neither of these are in any way a pastry topping.

As to what’s available in Hua Hin, by the sound of it there will be a number of outlets providing the genuine article - as to which is the best, well don’t ask me!!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HarryVardon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:47 am My mother always used to serve Sunday lunch at exactly the same time every week. The whole family (except my mother) used to sit and listen to a comedy program on the radio (Clitheroe Kid, Round the Horn, Navy Lark, etc.) then, just as Family Favourites started, we would sit down for lunch.
Lovely memory, I used to listen to The Navy Lark/Round The Horne in the kitchen while mum was cooking and then we'd both sit down with dad at the kitchen table to The Clitheroe Kid. I managed to get my wife to cook exactly like her (my wife loved my mum's cooking and my dad's fried food, she agreed her mum's was abysmal).

More on topic (and crumbles aside) I think it's hard to go wrong on a Sunday here with Rafferty's roast.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HarryVardon wrote:As far as Andreanus roast is concerned. The meat is perfect the rest is served up in buffet form in large containers which means the content quickly gets cold and no longer tastes fresh.
Good point well made re 'cold' veggies which is why I went only twice and I don't go there anymore

Pity as other than that it's good fare

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:30 pm
HarryVardon wrote:As far as Andreanus roast is concerned. The meat is perfect the rest is served up in buffet form in large containers which means the content quickly gets cold and no longer tastes fresh.
Good point well made re 'cold' veggies which is why I went only twice and I don't go there anymore

Pity as other than that it's good fare

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
It's actually the reason I never tried it. Having seen it on a Sunday a while back when I went to buy bread and pies, it seemed poorly attended and so I assumed the veg would sit there for a long time. Hotels have small burners under any covered serving trays to gently heat buffet food, not rocket science!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've never been disappointed at Andreannas, but maybe I've always turned up at the right time. Last time I was there, we were seated inside, and I certainly saw burners, plus veg was being regularly re-stocked, by a guy whose job seemed to be making sure veg was good. Still MY favourite in Hua Hin.

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:39 am I've never been disappointed at Andreannas, but maybe I've always turned up at the right time. Last time I was there, we were seated inside, and I certainly saw burners, plus veg was being regularly re-stocked, by a guy whose job seemed to be making sure veg was good. Still MY favourite in Hua Hin.
Good to know, BB. Sounds worth a go then.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Maybe the proprietor reads this Forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk