Champions League 2020-21

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: Champions League 2020-21

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:40 am Honestly, the British are the worst travellers in the world. Total tossers. Any country you visit, you can guarantee to bump into drunken British louts. I'm surprised folk still let us in. :?
Pretty much when it's geared to the Wendyball supporters or low IQ crowd - don't tar all of us with the same brush.

The video you posted sums it up.

I was working in Spain some time ago on a site well away from civilisation - after a long stint, I and a couple of guys had a 3-4 day break. We thought what the hell, head to the beach (a long drive), couple of days, enjoy the food, the beer etc..... 2 hrs after our arrival, we headed straight back to site - the embarrassment of the low IQ UK Muppets was too much......

That said, we took supplies and spent the night "outside camp" (no alcohol allowed on site) - so not a wasted trip.

Seriously though, plenty of alcohol at rugby and cricket, but you don't see the same....... That said, cockney twats at horse racing is a different matter - is the common denominator Londoners? :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:48 am European football: Away goals could be scrapped in Uefa's club competitions

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57286931

The away goals rule in European football has moved a step closer to being scrapped after Uefa's club competitions committee decided to abolish it.

The rule, used since 1965, decides drawn two-legged games by favouring the team that scores the most away goals.

Both Juventus and Bayern Munich were knocked out of the 2020-21 Champions League by this method.

The decision will be taken to Uefa's executive committee for approval.

If passed the Champions League, Europa League and the Europa Conference League will no longer use the rule.
The article doesn’t say how they intend to decide how games that finish level will be decided - extra time - penalty shoot-out - replay? I’m assuming it will be extra time and/or penalty shoot-out, but you never know with UEFA?
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:00 am The article doesn’t say how they intend to decide how games that finish level will be decided - extra time - penalty shoot-out - replay? I’m assuming it will be extra time and/or penalty shoot-out, but you never know with UEFA?
Pretty sure they'll do it exactly as they do now, for ties that end level after the second leg: extra time and penalties.

There aren't any other options available without the IFAB making a change to the Laws of the Game.

According to Law 10:
When competition rules require a winning team after a drawn match or home-and-away tie, the only permitted procedures to determine the winning team are:

away goals rule

two equal periods of extra time not exceeding 15 minutes each

kicks from the penalty mark
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:08 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:00 am The article doesn’t say how they intend to decide how games that finish level will be decided - extra time - penalty shoot-out - replay? I’m assuming it will be extra time and/or penalty shoot-out, but you never know with UEFA?
Pretty sure they'll do it exactly as they do now, for ties that end level after the second leg: extra time and penalties.

There aren't any other options available without the IFAB making a change to the Laws of the Game.

According to Law 10:
When competition rules require a winning team after a drawn match or home-and-away tie, the only permitted procedures to determine the winning team are:

away goals rule

two equal periods of extra time not exceeding 15 minutes each

kicks from the penalty mark
You’re probably right, although they are going to have to amend the current law to remove the away-goal ruling, so they could do something crazy like the “golden goal rule” in extra time, where the first scoring team automatically becomes the winner?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The boos seemed particularly loud for the bending of the knee today. :twisted:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

First 15 minutes has already been better than the whole of the Spurs/Liverpool embarrassment.

Shaping up to be a cracker this one.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Wow. I was expecting to say 0-0 at half-time, but a really entertaining 0-0. Cracking Chelsea goal though after 43 mins, and no real argument against them being ahead. Reece James, age 21, Chelsea's right back - class.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:52 am Reece James, age 21, Chelsea's right back - class.
Agreed. He's definitely staking his claim for a place in England's starting line up.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

What a cracking final. A well deserved win for Chelski. I was hoping City would equalise, not so much because I didn't want Chelsea to win (by that stage at least), but because I wanted to see another 30 minutes.

Sort of nice to see Foden et al brought back to earth...
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

tenor (2).gif
tenor (2).gif (234.05 KiB) Viewed 132 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As one pundit said, "Let's not forget Lampard, he laid the foundations and more of this Chelsea team".

Very true, and Frank should be very proud as well.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Superbru results not finalized yet. Will post when they are. No one picked Chelsea to win the final! :shock:

JJBones won the pool :clap: :dance: :clap: Pharvey second and Bamboo Grove third from the way it looks at the moment.

Thanks to everyone for playing. :thumb: :cheers:

I think Caller must be over the moon this morning, or suffering the worst hangover of his life. :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am No one picked Chelsea to win the final! :shock:
Not even caller?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

He didn't play the pool this year. :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ah, that explains it :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20