Shopping-Swimming goggles

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Gabe H Coud

Shopping-Swimming goggles

Post by Gabe H Coud »

Without paying stupid boutique prices (eg Speedo in MV) where can I buy swimming goggles?

And please don't say Tesco Lotus in MV because they only have junior size left. Even that sports shop in basement look closed for refitting

Anyone bought any recently? Preferably ones that actually keep water out of your eyes, as I've had several pairs that fail to do that mostly from the night Market!

Thanks
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: Shopping-Swimming goggles

Post by Jack_Batty »

Off the top of my head, I would say you would probably find tons of options in those little shops lining Soi 61 on the way to the beach.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I've owned only two pair of swimming goggles in the past 9 years. First pair gave out after a few years with strap rotting away. Second pair I purchased at Big C and have had for 6-7 years now and still going strong. I can't believe the life I have been getting out of these Gamma goggles and I swim every day of the week in my pool. As you know, buy the best you can find.
Gabe H Coud

Post by Gabe H Coud »

brianks wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 am I've owned only two pair of swimming goggles in the past 9 years. First pair gave out after a few years with strap rotting away. Second pair I purchased at Big C and have had for 6-7 years now and still going strong. I can't believe the life I have been getting out of these Gamma goggles and I swim every day of the week in my pool. As you know, buy the best you can find.
Thanks Brian,

I will go and check Big C (on Pala U road, i doubt the Minis will have them) but just wondered if you have seen them in there recently(6/7 years ago they may not stock anymore)

Will check Soi 61 too.

Maybe I will have to stump up for the quality but then again its my Speedos that snapped despite me taking good care of them

cheers
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Gabe H Coud wrote:
brianks wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 am I've owned only two pair of swimming goggles in the past 9 years. First pair gave out after a few years with strap rotting away. Second pair I purchased at Big C and have had for 6-7 years now and still going strong. I can't believe the life I have been getting out of these Gamma goggles and I swim every day of the week in my pool. As you know, buy the best you can find.
Thanks Brian,

I will go and check Big C (on Pala U road, i doubt the Minis will have them) but just wondered if you have seen them in there recently(6/7 years ago they may not stock anymore)

Will check Soi 61 too.

Maybe I will have to stump up for the quality but then again its my Speedos that snapped despite me taking good care of them

cheers
Confirmed on Soi 61. About seven shops. 60฿. For that price you can get a whole drawer full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I get mine from Sports Mall in Bluport. Not quite sure where that is in the store now. Paid about 900 baht for mine.
Talk is cheap
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

caller wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:45 pm I get mine from Sports Mall in Bluport. Not quite sure where that is in the store now. Paid about 900 baht for mine.
900 Baht !!!!!! Must be made with a very precious material.....555
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm 900 Baht !!!!!! Must be made with a very precious material.....555
Well if you want them to last, rather than fall apart or leak. 3 years on and still going strong, albeit I haven't done any swimming for a few months, but start again in a couple of weeks. Anyway, you pay your money and take your choice.
Talk is cheap
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

caller wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:45 pm I get mine from Sports Mall in Bluport. Not quite sure where that is in the store now. Paid about 900 baht for mine.
I was just there. Ground floor, I think near Starbuck’s. And the goggles were priced right around 1000฿.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I purchased my goggles at Big C in Surat Thani near where I live in Khanom in the south. I agree with others above that you get what you pay for. I never looked at the cheap ones but sure don't remember them being that costly. Won't have to worry for quite a while as I also have a back-up pair unused awaiting the other ones to fail.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I purchased my goggles at Big C in Surat Thani near where I live in Khanom in the south. I agree with others above that you get what you pay for. I never looked at the cheap ones but sure don't remember them being that costly. Won't have to worry for quite a while as I also have a back-up pair unused awaiting the other ones to fail.
Gabe H Coud

Post by Gabe H Coud »

Thanks all
I actually bagged the very last pair of Adult size goggles in Tesco MV yest
they're 'ok' they do the job, for now
but I'm sure going to buy another pair (if not 2) and i might dig deep for a quality pair, against all my thrifty instincts!
also the Tesco ones arent tinted and let me tell you that's a real shock compared to my old tinted set that just broke, serious assault on the eyeballs getting into the pool on a sunny day!
i fear the 60baht ones in Soi 61 will be junk but i guess at that price they can be!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Update -

The purple ones were from Tesco (last adult pair available!) 170 baht

The Black & Silver ones were from Big C 255 baht(4 different types available)

Both pretty similar, they do the job fine but I won't be expecting many years of service from them!

The other place I never thought about was Hua Hin Shopping Mall, my Taxi lady says they can be bought there too. Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Where is the Hua Hin shopping mall?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:Where is the Hua Hin shopping mall?
On Phetkasem Road, almost opposite the entrance to the Temple. It also has a rear entrance onto Sa Song Road

Clearly an old supermarket/Department Store on 3 floors now has many individual traders in there, focusing on cheaper items.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk