Uefa Nations League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Uefa Nations League

Post by Big Boy »

England started their Uefa Nations League campaign with a 1-0 win last night, but what a dire game. Watching at silly o'clock one needs a smidgen of excitement to stimulate the eyes into staying open.

Playing against a bad Iceland side, England must have had about 70% of the game, but showed no imagination passing the ball around the half-way line for long periods, with Iceland content to watch them doing so. England were so bad that even Captain Harry didn't look out of place, and he even got involved a couple of times.

Captain Harry was unlucky to have a perfectly good goal disallowed early on. He was further deprived when he was substituted, and unable to do what he does best when England were awarded a very late penalty. Sterling stepped up to take a very poor penalty, but the Iceland keeper somehow managed to get out of the way to see England take the lead.

Iceland were awarded an even later penalty, but as I've already said, 'a bad Iceland side.' Their penalty taking was as good as the rest of their performance, and made Sterling's penalty look master class.

A game where the use of VAR might have had a positive impact.

Still, not being one to moan :D, we can now look forward to Wednesday morning's game against Denmark at silly o'clock. It can only get better.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Re: Uefa Nations League

Post by pharvey »

Wales also with a 1-0 win (also dire apparently) - I only saw limited highlights. Teams seam to be well below strength - is it a "serious competition"? (honest question)?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 pm ... is it a "serious competition"? (honest question)?
Nope. They're friendlies with glitter on top.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:20 am
pharvey wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 pm ... is it a "serious competition"? (honest question)?
Nope. They're friendlies with glitter on top.
It's a tad more complex than that. It's not the World or European Cup, but it's not completely meaningless either, particularly for the lower-ranked nations (you know, Wales and the like... :laugh: :duck: ). Call it the international equivalent of the League Cup, or even - at a stretch - something approaching the Europa League.

Friendlies are hardly worth watching, with 8 subs and absolutely nothing at stake. This competition at least gives some meaning to... let's call them "international matches of secondary importance".
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Hmm, maybe I was a tad harsh. ^^^ What he said.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:47 am Hmm, maybe I was a tad harsh. ^^^ What he said.

Aside from "Wales and the like...." of course :roll: :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

What the hell's up with the Manchester lot? First slabhead gets jailed for fighting with police and bribery, now Foden and Greenwood are sent home from international duty as they couldn't follow strict covid guidelines (no bringing prostitutes back to the hotel room) for a few days.

Is there something in the water in Manchester? Bloody thick bunch! :banghead:

arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Lost wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:09 pm What the hell's up with the Manchester lot? First slabhead gets jailed for fighting with police and bribery, now Foden and Greenwood are sent home from international duty as they couldn't follow strict covid guidelines (no bringing prostitutes back to the hotel room) for a few days.

Is there something in the water in Manchester? Bloody thick bunch! :banghead:

Prostitutes? They claim they had a nice conversation, and of course, looking at their photos, they are wholesome young ladies you would be proud to bring home to mother.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:39 pm Prostitutes? They claim they had a nice conversation, and of course, looking at their photos, they are wholesome young ladies you would be proud to bring home to mother.
Not sure about the 'wholesome' bit, they look like incipient footballers' wives to me! Prostitutes is way OTT, of course, but so is Lost most of the time, and he's clearly forgotten what it's like being a teenager, despite being a tad closer in years than most of us. :laugh:
This is the way
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

ImageImageImageImage

YNWA

YNWA
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Come on now lads, we all know what they are. Can't pull the wool over my eyes. Saying this, I definitely would. :laugh:

Screenshot_20200908_113408.jpg
(180.11 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Screenshot_20200908_113434.jpg
(212.31 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:37 pm I definitely would.
Strange that, you've often claimed you would not, and certainly wouldn't pay for it. :tsk: :tsk:

Getting this back on track, another silly o'clock fixture tonight - hopefully, it can only get better. It's only Denmark.

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:18 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:37 pm I definitely would.
Strange that, you've often claimed you would not, and certainly wouldn't pay for it. :tsk: :tsk:
Things change as you get older :mrgreen:. Probably end up having to pay for it one day, too.

Yup, hoping the game is better today. The last one was absolutey dire! Can't blame them too much as I don't think they've played together for 6 months. Gonna be rusty. But still, they're professional footballers, surely should be doing better than that.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Didn't think the game could be worse than the Iceland one. What the hell?

"Southgate Out". :blues: :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is Captain Harry really the best we've got? Southgate can only work with the tools he's got, and what a tool.

Points 48; Position 20