Premier League 2020-21

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: Premier League 2020-21

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, Cavani is 34, yet he puts in a full shift every game.

I don't want to be dragged into this discussion. I think I might have mentioned my feelings about Captain Harry before.

I've watched him play many times and have never seen what the rest of the nation see. At best, I've seen him have an average game. I tend to find when he's playing, I am counting the number of times he gets close to the ball - 10 fingers are usually sufficient.

Either I've got a faulty TV, or he is a brilliant con man. However, I've promised to stay out of Captain Harry discussions, so apologies for this and my previous post. Believe it or not. I wish the guy well, and maybe if I see him playing for a team other than England or Spurs, I will see what the rest of you see. I do appreciate a good footballer, irrespective of team or nationality.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:28 am Yes, Cavani is 34, yet he puts in a full shift every game.

I don't want to be dragged into this discussion. I think I might have mentioned my feelings about Captain Harry before.

I've watched him play many times and have never seen what the rest of the nation see. At best, I've seen him have an average game. I tend to find when he's playing, I am counting the number of times he gets close to the ball - 10 fingers are usually sufficient.

Either I've got a faulty TV, or he is a brilliant con man. However, I've promised to stay out of Captain Harry discussions, so apologies for this and my previous post. Believe it or not. I wish the guy well, and maybe if I see him playing for a team other than England or Spurs, I will see what the rest of you see. I do appreciate a good footballer, irrespective of team or nationality.
5E6C10C5-9580-40AA-BCB6-A880DFC9AB22.jpeg
5E6C10C5-9580-40AA-BCB6-A880DFC9AB22.jpeg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 237 times
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

BB not a big fan of stats as well...
https://www.footballcritic.com/premier- ... ng/2/41756

or QR codes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
qrcode_www.footballcritic.com.png
qrcode_www.footballcritic.com.png (8.1 KiB) Viewed 234 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please be aware, I have no problem with QR Codes, in fact I was part of the MOD team that developed the technology (3D Bar Codes in my day). My problem is with the over-enthusiastic use of QR Codes where it is not required/unsuitable by Thai developers.

:offtopic:

Points 48; Position 20
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

pharvey wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:26 amThe question is, who can afford him? With 3 years left on his contract, he won't come cheap - well north of 100 million I imagine, and Levy is no pushover.

Chelsea? Unlikely, unless he's desperate to stay in London. Man City is most likely to meet his requirements domestically.
Sums up the problem with the sport - how the hell is he or any other player worth "well north of 100 million"? Guessing he's pushing 30? I reckon BB would be happy to see him playing for Plymouth :D :wink: , though doubt Harry would be happy with the wages..... :duck:
Wages? He`s already got plenty of money. Argyle could offer him plenty of fresh air and all the pasties he could eat.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Bloody good game the Russia vs Thailand. Had a bit of everything. Goals. Var calls. Fisticuffs. The horse I backed lost but it was entertaining nevertheless. Realistically, Thailand were never gonna get top four as they still have the mighty Tottenham (still English, still trophyless :D) to play next.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

A fascinating race for the europa conference league place is developing. Gonna be down to the wire with Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton all in with a shout. :mrgreen: :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^You clearly didn't watch the Spurs game this evening, you're way too cheerful... :( :banghead:

Fans in the stadium for the first time in ages and Spurs managed to get booed off.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:23 am ^^You clearly didn't watch the Spurs game this evening, you're way too cheerful... :( :banghead:

Fans in the stadium for the first time in ages and Spurs managed to get booed off.
I've given up being angered by spurs' performances. We're totally useless. Same every time. Can't string two passes together. Questionable team picks. No desire. And pathetic defence. If not for our 2 world class players, we'd be hovering above the relegation zone.

Just want this season over with so we can hopefully start some sort of rebuild with money from the sales of Kane, Alli, Aurier, Sanchez, Winks and Sissoko. Knowing Tottenham's luck mind, we'll invest that money in 6 Vincent Janssens. :wink:

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

There are several reports in todays UK back pages of Daniel Levy criticizing Josephine Moanino. The blame lays fairly and squarely at Levy's feet, what did he expect from footballs biggest ego. Wherever he goes he causes rifts in the dressing room by choosing favourites and openly criticizing those players he dislikes. Sum Num Na!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:23 am ^^You clearly didn't watch the Spurs game this evening, you're way too cheerful... :( :banghead:

I only watched the 5 minutes of BBC’s MOTD highlights and that was too long - Spurs were as bad as I can remember seeing!! I hope that West Ham finish above Spurs and Arsenal after Sunday’s games.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:25 am I've given up being angered by spurs' performances. We're totally useless. Same every time.
But it's not the same every time, that's the point! Last night, we came off the blocks at 100 mph and looked great! For 10 minutes until we scored, then we were awful for most of the rest of the game...

Some weeks we play some sublime football and could beat any team in the world, then we go and lose to a Burnley or a West Brom. If we'd won half the games we should have this season (and I've seen pretty much all of them), we'd be comfortably in the top 4 and challenging for the Europa League. The really top teams get into the habit of winning, while Spurs are inconsistent. Always have been, just to different degrees.

Hugely frustrating, but I've been a Spurs supporter for over 50 years and I always will be... <long-suffering shrug>
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:42 am
Lost wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:25 am I've given up being angered by spurs' performances. We're totally useless. Same every time.
But it's not the same every time, that's the point! Last night, we came off the blocks at 100 mph and looked great! For 10 minutes until we scored, then we were awful for most of the rest of the game...
But this is the 'same every time' thing I'm talking about. We can never seem to take control of games. We have glimpses of quality in games which we can usually get a goal out of considering who we have up front. But for the most part, it's difficult viewing.
Some weeks we play some sublime football and could beat any team in the world.
I've honestly not witnessed this from us. Certainly not in 2021 (bar a break of two or three games to put me out of my misery, I, too, have watched every match). We get the odd good win against the likes of Sheffield United or Palace but aside from that I haven't seen this 'sublime' football you speak of since the 2nd half of the Southampton game, the first 20 minutes of the west ham game or against the ten men of United, all at the beginning of the season. Even our good wins against City and Arsenal etc was us sitting back, absorbing everything they threw at us then winning via 'smash and grab'.

Fingers crossed we get some additions to the squad that can dictate play in the middle of the park and shore up the defence.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Calm down guys, it could be worse. You could support a team like Argyle - we get a lot more downs than ups :D . It must be great to support a slightly above average Premier League team, where there is a realistic chance of several decent trophies each season. All that Argyle can hope for is a hand on the Devon Bowl sometimes. :D

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:18 pm It must be great to support a slightly above average Premier League team, where there is a realistic chance of several decent trophies each season.
Alright, BB don't rub it in. :laugh: