Premier League 2020-21

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Premier League 2020-21

Post by PeteC »

I'll lock the 2019-20 thread once we know the 3rd team that's coming up.

Premier League and EFL 2020-21 seasons to start on 12 September

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53530479

The 2020-21 Premier League and English Football League seasons will start on 12 September.

In the top flight, the campaign will end on 23 May, while the Championship, League One and League Two seasons will culminate on 8 and 9 May.

Next season's play-off finals will take place on the final weekend in May.

The current Premier League season will end on Sunday after it was suspended for three months because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The regular Championship season concluded on Wednesday, with the play-offs finishing on 4 August.

Most League One and League Two teams have not played since March.

The Premier League said it would "continue to consult" with the Football Association and EFL "regarding the scheduling of all domestic competitions".

However, the start date for teams still playing in European competitions is still under discussion.

It remains possible they will be given a delayed start, given they could be playing well into August.

Last-16 ties in the Europa League - featuring Manchester United and Wolves - resume on 5 August, with the final scheduled to take place on 21 August.

Remaining Champions League last-16 ties resume from 7 August, with Manchester City and Chelsea still in the competition.

The final will take place on 23 August.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Premier League 2020-21

Post by PeteC »

Newcastle fans 'confused and heartbroken' by takeover collapse

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53601334

Newcastle United fans say they are "confused" and "heartbroken" following the collapse of the Saudi Arabian-backed takeover.

A consortium, led by the country's Public Investment Fund (PIF), agreed a £300m deal to buy the club from Mike Ashley in April but has now pulled out.

Greg Tomlinson, from the Newcastle United Supporters' Trust, said "answers are needed from the Premier League".

Fellow supporter Michelle George said: "It's left fans devastated."

The deal was delayed after being scrutinised under the Premier League's owners' and directors' test.

And the consortium, which also included PCP Capital Partners and the Reuben Brothers, has pulled out because it is understood the PIF ran out of patience.

Magpies supporter George added: "As fans, we are heartbroken. It sounds dramatic but we have suffered for 13 years under Ashley through a lack of interest and investment in the club.

"So the fact it played out how it did and for the length of time it did and then for the news to break, and we still don't have the full picture."

Saudi Arabian-backed consortium pulls out of bid. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53598846

Legal documents were handed over to the Premier League 16 weeks ago, but the bid has been dogged by claims regarding Saudi Arabia's human rights record and its handling of TV piracy.

The delay to the process came because the Premier League lawyers struggled to establish precise links between the consortium and the Saudi government.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is also the PIF's chairman.

Despite the ownership complications, a survey of Newcastle United Supporters' Trust members found that 97% of them were in favour of the takeover, with many wanting rid of Ashley.

"Everyone was excited about the bid and potential investment in the city, so it represents a missed opportunity for Newcastle and the north-east as a region," added Tomlinson.

"We're left confused about what has gone on here - it's been almost 17 weeks of noise.

"It's been made clear that football supporters are the least important part in a decision which affects supporters the most.

"We have been treated with contempt."

George, who is a solicitor, said the Premier League had to "shoulder some blame" for the deal falling through.

"The test didn't allow [Premier League chief executive] Richard Masters to take into account moral issues which he or the people around him thought were important," she said.

"I understand it was a confidential process but for it to carry on that long, they should at least tell us what the position was."

She added: "Everybody was thinking we could be the next Manchester City, although caveated by what's come to light now, that nothing really good happens with Newcastle."

As for the future, both Tomlinson and George are hopeful, so long as the future does not involve Ashley.

American businessman Henry Mauriss is understood to be keen to buy the club for £350m.

Tomlinson says he is "sceptical" about that deal, but added: "I now hope we can find somebody who is willing to buy the club and pass relevant tests and take us forward in a proper manner.

"There is no future for Newcastle United under the current owner."

George said: "Fans were done with Mike Ashley before this happened and looking ahead to the new season, it doesn't give you huge amount of motivation to spend £70 on a new shirt, or a look at transfer rumours because other clubs have already started to buy players, and we know we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

"There will still be things to talk about but everyone is going to wake up and feel a bit sad for a few days."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Premier League: Clubs still in Europe to get delayed start to next season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53651865

Premier League clubs involved in the latter stages of European cup competitions will be given a delayed start to the 2020-21 season.

Precise details around the calendar for next season will not be decided until later this month.

But it has already been decided in principle that all clubs should be given a minimum amount of time off.

Manchester City and Chelsea are in the Champions League with Manchester United and Wolves in the Europa League.

A 30-day period has generally been accepted, which would mean any club involved in the 'Final Eight' stages of the Champions League or Europa League will not start their campaigns on 12 September when the new Premier League will begin.

Manchester City take a 2-1 lead over Real Madrid into their Champions League last-16 second leg tie at Etihad Stadium on Friday. Should they reach the final in Lisbon on 23 August, they will miss the first two weekends of the new campaign.

The same is also true for either Manchester United or Wolves, if either were to reach the Europa League final in Cologne on 21 August.

United and Wolves play their last-16 Europa League second-leg ties on Wednesday and Thursday this week. United lead Austrian side LASK 5-0 while Wolves drew 1-1 with Olympiakos in March.

A decision still needs to be made about a delayed start for the teams who get knocked out in last-16 ties this week. This could include Chelsea, who are 3-0 down after the home leg of their tie against Bayern Munich.

While those clubs would have 30 days between their final game and the opening weekend of the season, given the restart comes immediately after an international break, it would severely limit the number of friendlies those clubs could arrange before their first competitive match.

Speaking on Tuesday United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said "Hopefully we will get some help if we go through to the end.

"I'll look after the players, we'll give the players time off to recharge, maybe a couple of weeks."

Solskjaer gave little away when asked about the benefit of getting transfers completed early now the 2020 summer transfer window is open.

Borussia Dortmund have set a 10 August deadline for any club to agree a deal for forward Jadon Sancho - who is United's top summer transfer target.

"This transfer window is a long one and every transfer takes its course," Solskjaer added.

"At the moment, I've got no updates for you. If there's any news, we'll update you."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Seems as though some things never change. And there was me naively thinking that the COVID issue would bring football back into the real world!!

https://www.football365.com/news/sancho ... th-man-utd
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Absolutely ludicrous... :banghead: :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I've a good feeling about this year. Reckon it's Spurs' moment. 'To do is to dare'. :laugh:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Sanchez has signed for Inter Milan relieving United of their £500k+ a week headache.

The lack of fanfare in Inter Milan's announcement is somewhat different to United's approach. :laugh:

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is what some sources are predicting for next season. It has ZERO chance of being correct but I thought interesting to see what some of the "experts" are thinking. One glaring point for me is Fulham. Barring some catastrophe like the stadium collapsing, there is no way they are going to go down again. Anyway, something to feel good about, or aggravated about! :laugh:

Prediction for the 2020-21 Premier League standings
1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Manchester United
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Leicester City
8. Wolves
9. Everton
10. Southampton
11. West Ham
12. Brighton
13. Burnley
14. Sheffield United
15. Leeds United
16. Aston Villa
17. Newcastle United
18. Crystal Palace
19. Fulham
20. West Brom
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't even know where to look for the answers to this, unless I go back and look at league records year by year.

1) What is the average of promoted teams going back down the next season. 1 out of 3 seems to me to be about correct.

2) 2 out of 3 happens, but less than 50% of the time?

3) Have all 3 ever gone back down, and have all 3 ever stayed up?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:57 am I don't even know where to look for the answers to this, unless I go back and look at league records year by year.

1) What is the average of promoted teams going back down the next season. 1 out of 3 seems to me to be about correct.

2) 2 out of 3 happens, but less than 50% of the time?

3) Have all 3 ever gone back down, and have all 3 ever stayed up?
Here’s the answers to question 3

Only three times in Premier League history have all the promoted sides stayed up - in 2001-02, 2011-12 and 2017-18 - while only in 1997-98 have all three been relegated - Bolton, Barnsley and Crystal Palace.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Wow! I wouldn't have guessed the first part that only 3 times all promoted stayed up. :shock:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Prediction for the 2020-21 Premier League standings
1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Manchester United
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Leicester City
8. Wolves
9. Everton
10. Southampton
11. West Ham
12. Brighton
13. Burnley
14. Sheffield United
15. Leeds United
16. Aston Villa
17. Newcastle United
18. Crystal Palace
19. Fulham
20. West Brom
A bit early to make predictions with the transfer window gathering up speed now. I'll wait till early September before I'll do my predictions.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Opening weekend fixtures

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53846138

phphXaMNgAM.jpg
phphXaMNgAM.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 658 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Premier League fixtures: Your club-by-club guide to the 2020-21 season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53839353
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

php7LEylCAM.jpg
php7LEylCAM.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 658 times