FA Cup 2020

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: FA Cup 2020

Post by PeteC »

This is a real crap shoot concerning picks, isn't it!? Caller never picks against Chelsea in any competition from what I remember, and I don't think we'll see BB picking against Plymouth Argyle. :wink:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:49 pm I don't think we'll see BB picking against Plymouth Argyle. :wink:
Will anybody? It's only Sheffield Utd?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:51 pm
PeteC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:49 pm I don't think we'll see BB picking against Plymouth Argyle. :wink:
Will anybody? It's only Sheffield Utd?
Good chance to take a scalp - Sheffield Utd are struggling this season!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:49 pm This is a real crap shoot concerning picks, isn't it!? Caller never picks against Chelsea in any competition from what I remember
That's because they're normalll a good bet!

And I have done! I initially did for the game v Leicester. Then Lawro reminded me how crap Leicester were at home, so I committed the cardinal sin of changing my mind. Dumb and dumber. Luton are going well at the moment and Chelsea are a mess, so chance of a giant killing act in this game.
Talk is cheap
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

What a miss, Argyle should have scored
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:30 pm What a miss, Argyle should have scored
Thought you'd be too peed off about Arsenal to care, arcadian! :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:54 pm
arcadianagain wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:30 pm What a miss, Argyle should have scored
Thought you'd be too peed off about Arsenal to care, arcadian! :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:
That was a good result for Arsenal. :duck:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

8) Well done greens....a good go at it in the second half. Proud of their effort.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Always proud, even if they're crap. However, I'm always happy when they're out of the competition. which they aren't going to win. Best to avoid injuries/suspensions. No money to be made during Covid either.

Points 48; Position 20
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Totally agree BB,,,even RL just quoted in the herald as saying they are not gonna win it....I dream of that but will only happen if we can get to the giddy heights of PL. :P lets hope we can follow with a good result against Swindon. ...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think either will happen unless a Sugar Daddy with bottomless pockets arrives on the scene. Even that scenario worries me a lot after what happened with the previous Sugar Daddy. I think decent Championship side is the best we can realistically hope for.

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:48 am Always proud, even if they're crap. However, I'm always happy when they're out of the competition. which they aren't going to win. Best to avoid injuries/suspensions. No money to be made during Covid either.
Not quite true BB every team gets a small cut of Tv rights, if the game is shown live on TV they get a lot more. Because marines match against Spurswas on tv they made 75,000 on that plus other income. So if you win and draw a big club can be very profitable
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, of course there is a little money to be made, but when you take travel, accommodation, food, etc from the 75K, and weigh it against the potential cost of injuries and suspensions it isn't an awful lot. Get your star player injured for a couple of months, and it could also affect your league status. A small team like Plymouth can't afford a second stream capable of playing at a high level.

Don't get me wrong, I love the magic of the FA Cup, and the potential giant killing, but I'm never upset when Plymouth are knocked out. The first thing I always check is the injury list and Yellow/Red Card count.

Points 48; Position 20
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:54 pm
I was hopeful of a result against Southampton but not confident, As for Argyle I was born and brought up in Devon and watched Argyle when my friends and I were old enough to drive there
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

All this talk about the FA Cup. Admittedly when I was young it was one of the most important competitions in the world but now times have changed. Both the FA Cup and the Carabao Cup should be dropped. They just get in the way of the Premier League and the Champions League. The chances of players getting injured is more important than these two cups. Just to stir things up I also think all internationals should be scrapped (including the World Cup). If there are internationals then England should be represented by players in the Premier League (no matter where they were born) and other countries by players in their leagues.