Short changing scams on the rise

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Gabe H Coud

Short changing scams on the rise

Post by Gabe H Coud »

Lived here about 7 or 8 years. In that time I've had say 3 attempts at being short changed, up until a week ago!

In last 7 days I've had THREE attempts at being significantly short changed.

Points to note

1. its happening at reputable places mostly, along with one 7 Eleven incident
2. the scam that they use is always to try and create confusion/ distraction. One example today....i was at a prestige golf club, in a rush, and suddenly I'm asked for some booking number that I've never been asked for before, so while Im panicking looking for e mail on phone she quietly lays down the incorrect change hoping i wont notice. Plus the change she initially gave me matched the amount I was trying to pay, so some may confuse this as 'correct'. I just looked at the money and looked at her once and instantly there's this "Oh, sorry!" and immediately without any confusion or checking she delivers the correct money( which she had waiting below the counter ready for herself) Yeah right! Similar thing happened at a 'nice' restaurant the other night
3. please be aware that this is on the rise
4. I understand the economic pressures, but doesn't make it acceptable!

anyone else seen this recently?

Gabe