Delicious food from the EU (Continent)

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Delicious food from the EU (Continent)

Post by migrant »

Suua wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:35 am Tomatoes from Italy....enough said.
(A consistent disappointment here in Thailand).
We were in Italy last year and I bought some of the cherry tomatoes to make a salad. I tried one, ate all I bought without the salad, and bought more for snacks the next day. When I was a kid we grew tomatoes at home and I thought I'd never taste one as good again, I was wrong.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Cordon Bleu

From a Swiss Chef

There are different stories about who cooked this dish the first time. One says that in a Swiss restaurant twice as many guests came to an event as planned and no additional meat could be purchased, so the pork loin steaks were cut into a pocket with the butterfly cut and filled with ham and cheese, so there was only one piece of meat per guest instead of two.

Another story says that during an Atlantic crossing by steamer the fastest ship is awarded with the "Blue Ribbon", and the captain surprise winner told his Swiss cook to cook something special with cheese.
However, as with all stories, it was a Swiss chef who cooked this dish for the first time.

The important thing is, I like it. I take pork loin, a lightly smoked cooked ham from the butcher of my choice and of course a Swiss cheese. Since I love cheese I usually take a little more Emmentaler than necessary.

I have nothing but contempt for cordon bleu with moulded ham or processed cheese.

And this is what my Cordon Bleu looks like....

Attachments
K1024_IMG_20170219_160736.JPG
K1024_IMG_20170219_160736.JPG (74.71 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Greets,
Phyton
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Phyton wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:13 pm Cordon Bleu
Or "Gordon Blue" as had many times in China.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I once heard a British woman in a restaurant in Hua Hin complaining about the Cordon Bleu she had been served. It was made with Swiss cheese (as it should be) but she thought it should be some kind of Blue cheese. Her argument was "It's called Cordon Blue so it must be made with blue cheese". She got very angry with the waiter. I was very tempted to shut her up but I managed to keep quiet.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Neither French blue cheese nor Dutch Gouda belong in a cordon bleu.

I prefer Emmental or, if you want it more hearty, a Gruyere or Appenzeller.
But again, processed cheese is a crime.

Some also use a dried one like Aoste instead of cooked ham. But it gives a completely different taste.

The meat for the cordon bleu is always salted and seasoned on the outside only. I use salt, white pepper and some paprika roses hot.
Greets,
Phyton
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Spaghetti Bolognese

Italy

LUIGIS SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE

I like pasta, spaghetti especially, Al Dente cooked, rather a little too short than mushy.
There are probably hundreds of recipes for bolognese. I would like to introduce one that I saw on TV about an Italian cook. As so often puristic, but a lot of time.....very long the bolognese should simmer weakly.
I usually make three or four times the amount, and then freeze in portions.

The recipe is in the database of a German TV station, but I can't use a direct link.
But I have given the source, and translated the whole thing with Deepl.

Ingredients:

2 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 tomatoes
1 can of pureed tomatoes
2 stalks of celery
2 carrots
500 g minced beef
250 ml white wine
250 g spaghetti
1 pecorino cheese
1 fresh basil
1 sage
1 rosemary
1 salt
1 pepper
1 olive oil
Preparation time: 40 minutes
cooking time: 360 minutes
Total: 400 minutes

PREPARATION
Step 1: Tomato sauce
Cut an onion and garlic and sauté in plenty of olive oil. Cut the tomatoes in a cross shape and put them in boiling water for three to four minutes. Then take them out and peel the skin. Chop the peeled tomatoes and add them to the onions and garlic. Fill up with pureed tomatoes. Season the sauce with salt and fresh basil and let it stand for an hour.

Step 2: Prepare the minced meat
Peel the carrots. Then cut the second onion, celery and carrots into roughly equal pieces and fry them with a good dash of olive oil. Tie sage and rosemary together and add to the vegetables. Then add the minced beef and fry until crisp. Deglaze the minced beef and vegetables with a quarter litre of white wine. When the alcohol has evaporated, stir in the tomato sauce. Season the bolognese with a pinch of salt. Leave to simmer for four to five hours on a low flame.

Step 3: Cook the pasta and serve
Bring water with plenty of salt to the boil in a pot. Add the spaghetti and cook al dente. Do not rinse, just drain. Arrange on a plate. Remove the herb bundle from the bolognese and pour the sauce over the spaghetti. Grate the pecorino on the pasta and finally add a pinch of freshly ground pepper.

https://www.kabeleins.de/tv/abenteuer-l ... bolognese2

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Greets,
Phyton