British Food

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: British Food

Post by Dannie Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: I’m sure I could figure this out, but have never cooked one of these before. Anyone here perfected a time and temp for these bad boys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assuming it’s cooked already, most pies like that reheat at about 180°c for about 20-25 minutes, but if it’s cooked from frozen then I’d add at least 5 more minutes. But use your eyes as well to check that it isn’t browning too much - if it is then turn the temperature down 10°

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: I’m sure I could figure this out, but have never cooked one of these before. Anyone here perfected a time and temp for these bad boys?

Assuming it’s cooked already, most pies like that reheat at about 180°c for about 20-25 minutes, but if it’s cooked from frozen then I’d add at least 5 more minutes. But use your eyes as well to check that it isn’t browning too much - if it is then turn the temperature down 10°

Ok, cool and thank you. I will be cooking it from frozen, and I’m going to assume it is already cooked.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I buy dozens of those pies. We tend to microwave them for 2 and a half minutes. If you want the crust to harden then of course you need to heat them in an oven.

They are pre-cooked by the way.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:58 pm I buy dozens of those pies. We tend to microwave them for 2 and a half minutes. If you want the crust to harden then of course you need to heat them in an oven.

They are pre-cooked by the way.
2 1/2 minutes from thawed, yes? Because these are frozen solid as a rock, and I think it would take 20 minutes in the microwave.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct. If I haven't already thawed then I'll use the 'defrost' function on the microwave. Will take 2 or 3 mins.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Cooking pastry in a microwave, the pastry will go soggy- not what I would like to eat!! I’m sure you can cook from frozen in a conventional oven or take the pie out and defrost naturally or in a microwave at a low power setting and then bake in an oven.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Actually, those particular pies, and I've had dozens (always at least 10 or 12 in my freezer), do soften a little in the microwave but nowhere near 'soggy'. Smothered in gravy and still retains body.
I'd agree that shop bought pies in the UK do go soggy. There has to be a reason for that.

Another alternative is to micro for a couple of minutes then into a hot oven (an air fryer is perfect) for another couple of minutes which will bring the crust to a crunchy texture.

The above is assuming you have thawed the pie. It doesn't take long if you remember in advance to take it out of the freezer.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I always let the pies thaw for a couple of hours before 2-3 minutes in microwave. The pastry does not go soggy. Recently Nani's have been selling small pork pies for 65 Baht, they are very good although they cannot be compared to Melton Mowbray pork pies which remain supreme and cannot be bought in Hua Hin. One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is Rabbit Pie or Jugged Hare. These two dishes used to be extremely popular in the UK until the mixamatosis scare many years ago. Rabbit is my favorite meat, it has a special taste about it. The pizza garden on Soi 94 used to have rabbit on the menu but I am not sure if it still does. I've seen here a few comments about a "full" English breakfast. When I was young that included kippers & fried kidney.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Where would one go for a good Sunday's roast lunch nowadays?
All suggestions appreciated
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Andreannas always did a very good Sunday Lunch, and it sounds even more attractive now that they do a good old fashioned carvery, although I haven't tried the carvery.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:30 pm Andreannas always did a very good Sunday Lunch, and it sounds even more attractive now that they do a good old fashioned carvery, although I haven't tried the carvery.
We went last Sunday and it was good as ever.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Was hoping to be lost for choice, but it seems that Sunday roast is not so popular anymore
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is plenty of choice, but none that I'd recommend. A friend swears by Rafferty's, but I've never tried it. Photos look good.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:31 am There is plenty of choice, but none that I'd recommend. A friend swears by Rafferty's, but I've never tried it. Photos look good.
Thanks anyway :thumb:
Trying Rafferty's today let's hope it's as good as the photos
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Everyone may already know about this on-line shop, but here it is anyway in case there is a craving for something special. :cheers:

https://britishop.com/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source