Sausage

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Sausage

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:31 pm I am very fussy about sausages.
:lach: :lach:

Sorry about the big laugh, Big Boy, but it was an instinctive reaction! Although we've only met a few times in the real world, we've known each other virtually for a very long time, so please don't take offence when I ask if it wouldn't be fair to describe you as being fussy about most things? :laugh: :wink: :duck:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:12 pm Having been lucky to travel a great deal during my life and been brought up in Africa on Boerewors which are also very much close to my heart!!
Speaking of (South) Africa, I haven't seen Takiap around on the forum lately. I hope he's still well and pottering around on his motorbike+sidecar?
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Now this is a thread to my liking! Sausages - yummy!

My favourite ever sausage is from the Boston Sausage Company, which is really a souped up Lincolnshire sausage with mucho extra sage! When I lived in London, I used to go up to Borough Market from time to time, with a cool box in the boot, where they had their own shop. Borough Market is a real foodies heaven but you need deep pockets.

https://www.bostonsausage.co.uk/product ... -1kg-pack/

My favourite sausages start with the fact they must be pork - Pork and Leek (a relatively new creation), is a favourite, as are the usual Lincolnshire and Cumberland, but the best of these I ever had was when staying in those areas and they were made locally. Likewise, really simply sausages with good quality ingredients work really well. When I lived not far from Hungerford, the local butchers 'Hungerford Special' was a huge favourite and basically it was just an old fashioned sausage seasoned with white pepper. So delicious though.

Here, HHH&B 's London sausage is my staple and it's very good too. I also get the jumbo sausages from time to time. Thinking about it, I haven't had the Cumberland for a while. When they had their fresh food outlet in Bluport, I really enjoyed the curry sausage and another made with caramelised red onion (I think). I'd love to see those resurrected.

I often see around town English sausages available for sale, but when I look at them and despite what's on the label, not too many resemble an English banger.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:48 pm I use a Kenwood Chef that has a Mincer and sausage filling attachment - I brought it with me when I retired from working in the UAE, but you can buy sausage filling machines here. I buy the skins from “the Moo” shop in Hua Hin - one bag has an incredible amount but I freeze them in small batches and take them out as needed. The seasoning mix I use I buy from the UK (https://sausagemaking.org/acatalog) either when I visit or when somebody is coming out to visit me and just buy the breadcrumbs from Makro
Thanks for that link DB! :thumb: :bow:

Going to have to try making Salami and HAGGIS!!

Apologies for going a little off topic.....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Another way of enjoying sausage. I occasionally make scotch eggs. I will always use sausage meat from one of my favourite sausages. Probably an expensive way of doing it but I've found the filling from any Fat Boy size sausage makes one scotch egg. I've tried several times to make my own sausage meat but I never get it right.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:05 am Another way of enjoying sausage. I occasionally make scotch eggs. I will always use sausage meat from one of my favourite sausages. Probably an expensive way of doing it but I've found the filling from any Fat Boy size sausage makes one scotch egg. I've tried several times to make my own sausage meat but I never get it right.
Scotch Eggs - absolutely!! :thumb: We do this many times using Quail Eggs - "Bite Size"! :wink: Quail eggs were readily available in China, must also be in Thailand?

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:11 am
HHTel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:05 am Another way of enjoying sausage. I occasionally make scotch eggs. I will always use sausage meat from one of my favourite sausages. Probably an expensive way of doing it but I've found the filling from any Fat Boy size sausage makes one scotch egg. I've tried several times to make my own sausage meat but I never get it right.
Scotch Eggs - absolutely!! :thumb: We do this many times using Quail Eggs - "Bite Size"! :wink: Quail eggs were readily available in China, must also be in Thailand?

Quail eggs are sold in Makro and no doubt in many outlets - probably a “bantam” size hens egg would also be good.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I normally use commercially purchased seasoning to make sausages, but on the occasion I have used my own mix the results have not been as good. Getting the individual spice seasoning combination is difficult - I remember on one occasion using nutmeg which is used in Cumberland sausages, but I obviously used too much as it was the predominant flavour over everything else.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not trying to blow HHH&B's trumpet, but if you like scotch eggs, they do 3 varieties. Your bog standard with regular sausage meat, the pork pie mix and the black pudding mix, These are normally specials and have to be ordered, but well worth a try.
98050434_3047850518586921_6418774069197406208_o.jpg
(99.64 KiB) Downloaded 842 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Another vote for Euro Deli. They have a wide variety of sausages including English, German, Thai and even Mexican and South African varieties. As a bonus for me, it's within walking distance of our house (though I usually go on my bike).
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This thread could have a link with the endless thread about the best b'fasts in HH. Quite frankly the bacon, eggs, tomatoes, beans etc are much the same from place to place but the sausages make all the difference. I love the HHH&b sausage. I asked Dave once to give me a list of restaurants that he supplied but he did not want to do that. But on one occasion with a new owner (and there are always plenty of new owners) I recommended that they change to Dave's and they did.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Ham and Bacon’s ‘Jumbo London’ sausage on the BBQ really are something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Yep I totally agree, HHH&B are what I prefer. The Cumberland style have a crumbly style and the Jumbo London just great on the BBQ, also very good value too
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Where to buy tasty scotch eggs?
Went to HHH&B's yesterday but much to my disappointment there was none, in fact hardly anything in their freezer
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

AFAIK, there is nowhere at the moment. HHH&B will make them, but you would need to order, and that order would have to be quite significant. I pre-order most of my HHH&B stuff these days - very reliable that way.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I make my own. Not difficult. I don't make the sausage meat but choose from ones available. I mostly use Cumberland sausage meat.