Covid questions for the forum

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
buksida

Re: Covid questions for the forum

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:10 pm I don't think Thailand has imposed any restrictions apart from disinfecting incoming mail.
Incorrect. Thailand did restrict postal services as reported here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38906&start=1894
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I received an EMS parcel from the USA today, so at least incoming seems to be fully open.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, Buksi. I could only find details of cleansing of incoming mail.
Going by their chart, it's still only surface mail with the UK which of course can take forever.

The UK resumed outgoing mail to Thailand on 11th May.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have had several books from the UK over the last couple of months. The last one just last week was marked "airmail", but the others I think come to Thailand as airfreight. They have taken the same time to get here as they always do.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My pension annual statement/P60 arrived from the UK at about the right time - very surprised.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:09 pmAs has been said, without evidence to the contrary, we have to accept the published figures as genuine.
I don't agree with that at all.

It's almost certain that the virus was in Thailand much earlier than first discovered, especially without testing. The same applies for other Countries. The UK has speculated it was already prevalent in January.

Senior medics in Thailand warned from the outset that Thailand was ill-equipped to deal with a large outbreak. Hospital's lacked ICU's, equipment, ventilators, PPE's (as most did) etc etc.

The PUI's almost certainly include cases where symptoms were mild and self-isolation was enough. But we don't know, as no testing. On the other hand I think it's reasonable to speculate that some deaths amongst the PUI's were not recorded as c19 deaths even where that may have been a factor. No testing again. In fact, we don't really know what happened to these PUI's full stop, unless they were subsequently hospitalised. I state this as the PUI numbers are huge, even before the recent addition of quarantined cases, there was already God knows how many different categories of people that were labelled under the PUI banner. It's simply inconceivable that they all recovered, but we are not told, so we don't know.

It's worth pointing out how quickly we hear the good news - track and trace, quarantine, even those suffering feverish symptoms upon landing, when a few hours earlier they were all fine and dandy when boarding. But common sense dictates there has to be a flip side. So where is it?

To add to that, senior medics were particularly concerned that in the North and other area's, where perhaps facilities and expertise were somewhat lacking, that the virus would be missed and deaths would not be attributed to the virus, especially in rural areas, where the stigma of even returning from Bkk could lead to hostility.

As I said in my earlier post, Thailand really has been blessed. The virus here could and should have been out of control by all normal rules, but it hasn't been. But as Buksi say's, we live under a quasi-dictatorship and I for one have no faith in the figures provided.
Talk is cheap
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

buksida wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:14 pm
HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:10 pm I don't think Thailand has imposed any restrictions apart from disinfecting incoming mail.
Incorrect. Thailand did restrict postal services as reported here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38906&start=1894
I went to the post office in Pak NAm Pran 2 weeks ago to send birthday cards to UK and Ireland. I was told there was no international postal services out of Thailand. I do not know if that has changed since
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You are probably correct, Caller.

However, your post is riddled with "It's almost certain", "The PUI's almost certainly include cases ", " I think it's reasonable to speculate", "In fact, we don't really know".

My point is highlighted in your own post. All about speculation and many "we don't really know".

As I said " without evidence to the contrary" and we don't have any evidence, just speculation. The situation may well be speculated correctly but .........
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:47 pm You are probably correct, Caller.

However, your post is riddled with "It's almost certain", "The PUI's almost certainly include cases ", " I think it's reasonable to speculate", "In fact, we don't really know".

My point is highlighted in your own post. All about speculation and many "we don't really know".

As I said " without evidence to the contrary" and we don't have any evidence, just speculation. The situation may well be speculated correctly but .........
You’re correct that without evidence, it can only be speculation as to the rate of infection and deaths attributable to Covid-19. However, in the absence of mass testing, it’s not unreasonable to assume that the true figures are likely to be higher (you can’t report what you don’t measure), but to what extent is the big unknown. Speaking personally, I feel a lot safer here in Thailand than I would, if I was back in the UK.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 am You’re correct that without evidence, it can only be speculation as to the rate of infection and deaths attributable to Covid-19. However, in the absence of mass testing, it’s not unreasonable to assume that the true figures are likely to be higher (you can’t report what you don’t measure), but to what extent is the big unknown.
Exactly, nobody really knows, and this regime can hardly be completely trusted with their track record. But some on here are convinced they're 100% right 100% of the time and those numbers are gospel. :roll:

That said, I too would rather be here than in the UK or US at the moment.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

How long does the coronavirus last inside the body?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/medica ... spartandhp

It’s possible that long-term patients are struggling because some of the coronavirus sticks around in their tissues. Researchers are now figuring out how long the germ stays alive inside the body, a situation known as viral persistence. That may be different from the length of time that someone who had COVID-19 can shed viral fragments, which can sometimes cause false positives on diagnostic tests.

long article...…………>>>>>>>>>>>>.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Differences Between DNA and RNA Viruses

https://www.differencebetween.com/diffe ... a-viruses/

Viruses are infectious particles that act as obligate parasites. They depend on another living cell in order to multiply in number. They carry out their replication process, transcription of the genome, and translation of the mRNA transcripts into proteins after infecting the respective host organism. Unlike other living things, they do not have a cellular structure. Hence, they are acellular and nonliving particles that belong to a separate group. Structurally, a virus has two components: a core of nucleic acid and a protein capsule. The viral genome consists of either DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) or RNA (ribonucleic acid). Likewise, depending on the genome, viruses can be DNA viruses or RNA viruses. Furthermore, DNA can be either single stranded or double stranded; it can also be linear or circular.

more at the link....................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

huahinjim wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm
buksida wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:14 pm
I went to the post office in Pak NAm Pran 2 weeks ago to send birthday cards to UK and Ireland. I was told there was no international postal services out of Thailand. I do not know if that has changed since
Link to international postal services from Thailand as of 1 July:

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Airmail services are now available to most countries again since October.

Thai Post list of international services:

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Next question
How will the rules change for those vaccinated after the vaccine is available.

Will they be able to travel with no isolation on arrival

When it comes there should be a badge you can wear.
buksida

Post by buksida »

It is likely that Thailand will only allow non-quarantined entry to those with a valid vaccine certificate, that has to be from a Thai govt approved provider, accompanied by a letter stamped at the Ministry of Absurdity verifying its authenticity, including a state-approved health insurance policy, a mandatory govt tracking app on their phones, and the previously mentioned motherlode of cash in a Thai bank that the authorities can get their grubby mitts on should the unfortunate visitor catch a cough while holidaying in the land of lunacy.